Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Replaced Our Barrel Chair With A 3rd Captain Seat  (Read 8554 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2011, 11:27:08 am »

Judy,

That is why the 2552 was designed.  It specifically provides the space for a 3rd seat.  The only thing I can think of is to get the 2552.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
NLK

Helpful Rating: 15
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: August 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry / Gray
ExtColor: Gray full paint
________

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2011, 11:45:12 am »

Thank you....
I'm pondering over putting 2 reclining chairs in the slideout and removing the couch.  The couch is very uncomfortable to sit on.  Can you think of any options or idea that might be available instead of the couch??
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 131
________
PurchDate: April 2010
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2011, 12:33:53 pm »

Thank you....
I'm pondering over putting 2 reclining chairs in the slideout and removing the couch.  The couch is very uncomfortable to sit on.  Can you think of any options or idea that might be available instead of the couch??

The new air-bed sofa that PC started using in 2010 is very comfortable to sit and lay on.  We were looking at a 2009 and the 2010 when we purchased and the difference was amazing.  Since the bed is an inflatable mattress, the cushions are just for sofa use, no compromise.  If you want to stay with a sofa you might be able to change to the new air-bed sofa.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: February 2010
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2011, 02:11:48 pm »

While I agree that RV sofas are often not the most comfortable seats in the world, there is one thing you might want to consider.  I've seen 2551s with dinettes instead of sofas and with two large arm chairs with hassocks in place of the sofa for sale on the internet, and neither configuration ever seems to sell as quickly for as good a price as the sofa model.  Some people may definitely prefer the chairs or dinette, but as is often the case with any customization. it may affect the resale value.  If you changed the sofa out, you might want to keep it in the garage in case you sell your unit in the future.

Jerry
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2011, 02:27:48 pm »

Changing your old tri-fold sofa with a newer air-sofa or two front captain chairs, seem to be two practical choices.  Just be sure there is nothing else bolted to the floor there that would get in the way mounting something different.

For the record, here are the biggest width dimensions of my 2007 leather seats, supplied by Pauls Seating called Lexus, picture taken off Paul's website.
20.5" - measuring the widest part without armrests, which includes the reclining side lever
24.5" - with armrests folded down
25.0" - with armrests folded up

Remember you will also have to purchase two pedistals, two sets of seat belts, and mounting hardware.  But maybe you could reuse your couch seat belts.

The seats sold today have a minor difference in style for the armrests.  No longer as shown having a single horizontal seam, but rather two curved stitchings as my new seat have.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:48:51 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2011, 02:44:19 pm »

Judy,

That is why the 2552 was designed.  It specifically provides the space for a 3rd seat.  The only thing I can think of is to get the 2552.

When we placed our order on Dec. 1, we did not know that there was such a thing as a 2552 so it seems that we will get the 2551 and be happy with that.

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2011, 03:02:01 pm »

If you prefer the 2552, it never hurts to ask the factory if you can change your model.  Maybe they are at a point where they can still equip your 2551 for general sales.  I think the 2552 is $3000 more according to Bob who bought one.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:31:18 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2011, 06:33:54 pm »

While I agree that RV sofas are often not the most comfortable seats in the world, there is one thing you might want to consider.  I've seen 2551s with dinettes instead of sofas and with two large arm chairs with hassocks in place of the sofa for sale on the internet, and neither configuration ever seems to sell as quickly for as good a price as the sofa model.  Some people may definitely prefer the chairs or dinette, but as is often the case with any customization. it may affect the resale value.  If you changed the sofa out, you might want to keep it in the garage in case you sell your unit in the future.

Jerry

Where on the internet do you find these things, billy

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: February 2010
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2011, 08:21:35 pm »

When I was shopping around for a used PC 2551, I did a lot of googling and looking at eBay and sites like PPL Motorhomes in Houston where I eventually bought my 2006 in virtually new condition.  In general, good used 2551s were snapped up quickly if the price was at least reasonable.  However, I remember one in particular in Florida that was very low priced and took quite some time to sell that had the two large easy chairs and hassocks.  Also, I notice that the PC website has had a couple of ones with the dinette that seemed to hang on longer than the standard sofa.  One in particular was one that because of a change in family conditions was returned to the factory and advertised at a very good price, but hung around for a few weeks.  I'm just suggesting that if you make changes to a coach you already own, you might want to retain the means of restoring it to the "uncustomized" condition.  By definition customization means tailoring the unit to your particular tastes, not necessarily those of the general public.

Jerry

Jerry
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2011, 10:22:46 pm »

I agree with you Jerry. We had a 27 foot trailer we took the couch out BUT kept it and when we sold the trailer we put the couch back. Each time we got a different rig I would say, "THIS IS IT"      rolling on the floor   Ya sure.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
NLK

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2011, 08:59:04 am »

Replacing the couch in my slide out:   From everyone's input, it appears the resale value might very well be effected.  I had not thought about that happening.  Gosh ... I guess I had better rethink this whole idea.  Thank you to everyone !!
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2011, 10:31:52 am »

As long as the modification can be reversed, I don't see a problem making the mod.  I would take a bunch of good pictures before the mods, kept in-case you sell.  You could then show both variations as a selling feature.  Give your buyer a choice, couch or captain seats.

In my particular case, I cannot see anyone ever thinking that barrel chair is preferred over the third captain seat.  I hope to sell the barrel chair, just to get it out of the house and recoupe $100.

If I was worried about resale, I would have included the slide-out option in our order.  But then the motor home wouldn't be what we wanted.

When selling any vehicle in general, if it does not look "owner modified", with good presentation, you should be successful.  I had a hobby of buying and selling Corvettes.  To be successful in getting the car's true value, it must look like it just came off the factory floor.  Internet pictures must be of high quality, showing every detail with proper lighting and all the rest.  Good pictures and good description will get the inquiries and eventually will make the sale happen.

It makes me smile when I see a used motor home for sale by owner with everything personal still inside the thing showing how "lived in" it is.  That is NOT good.  They really need to get 100% of their personal stuff out, clean it all up well, close the cabinet doors, fluff up the couch bolsters, open the blinds, lower the toilet seat, etc. etc. then take great pictures.  If they want to include personal stuff, place it all elsewhere, take pictures of it separately, and keep it all separate, especially when people come to see the motor home in person.  The goal is to make the buyer feel like they are buying a "Like New" motor home.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:36:26 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

NLK

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2011, 05:30:54 pm »

If the modification can be reversed back to the way it was.... good idea.  I still don't know what I'm doing yet.  I really like the couch that goes into a bed but the dang thing is so uncomforable to sit on.  It seems if the couch back had more of a pitch to it, it might be more comfortable.  shrug Gee I just don't know what to do.  I absolutely love my motorhome.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2011, 06:15:42 pm »

If we had the earlier couch and it wasn't working for us, we would be looking at alternatives.  That has been my philosophy throughout the motorhome.  I do try to make changes that could pass as a factory installed feature.  Not home made looking.  If it's home made looking all the way, then I would try to make it reversible.  But so far so good.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:20:40 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 171
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2011, 06:58:59 pm »

Taking out the couch is like removing one of the bedrooms in your house. Both reduce the number of beds, places to sleep. Both would hurt your resale value. If you are trading it in at an RV dealer, the dealer will just look in his book (NADA, blue or black) and get the tradein value. He would most likely not ask about the couch vs to chairs. Phoenix would know the difference and it might, I say might make a difference to them at tradein time. This is how a dealer can quote you a dollar amount for you trade without seeing it. At least this is what the dealer I worked at and the ones on know of used to do. I worked at an RV dealer for the last four years of my working life before really retiring five years ago.

I notice that you have a 2008 PC, which I think has the old jack knife sofa. Have you tried sitting on the newer sofa with the air bed. Ours is very confortable. I am changing out our barrel chair because it is not very confortable for sitting on for more than a few minutes. I would not change out the sofa for the barrel chairs, but I would think about changing the sofas if yours is that unconfortable. This is just my opinion.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print

Jump to: