Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: help planning vacation to yellowstone  (Read 3988 times)
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 09/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 10:46:35 pm »

All;

Man you people are better than AAA! Thank you soo much for the replies. I think we have a very basic itinerary for now.  Of course we will update that over the winter. I think on the way home we may have to stop at elkhart at the factory.  The rear of our mh was damaged upon delivery by Kermit's son and I have not had a body shop fix that yet.  It really is minor and maybe they can repair and paint it .....

Ron and Tom-- I think you guys could plan a nice caravan for me next summer. You lead I will follow.. Lol.

Thanks for the info...

DJM WavingCow

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 10:22:42 pm »

Working on the itinerary again, the kids are in bed.  Do you all have any suggestions for stays or what to do in Grand Teton NP?

Thanks.

DJM

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 01:16:05 am »

If you are real good hikers, I feel the all day hike to Lake Solitude is the best day hike in the park.  The trail takes you to the back side of Grand Teton, up to a high altitude lake where the view is very pretty.  At the beginning of the hike, there is a boat ride which saves time.  Take it back as well to save more time and energy.

There is a gondola in Teton Village to the top of Rendesvez Mountian.  Take your jackets with you regardless of the heat because it's always cold up there.  If you like to backpack, continue from there, making your way back through Death Canyon to the main valley.  It's an easy 2 night backpack hike, and very agressive overnight hike.  That was our most beautiful experience doing two nights.  We felt like we were in the movie, The Sound Of Music with the views and flowers everywhere.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 10:30:17 pm »

Hi All:

Well, we just returned from our trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.  What a beautiful country we have.  South Dakota is a long lonely drive.  I would hate to break down there. We hit Wall Drug, the Badlands, Big Horn Mtns, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Yellowstone NP, Grand Tetons NP, Thermopolis, Corn Palace, Jewel Cave, Devils Tower.  We entered Yellowstone via the Northwest entrance from the Beartooth hwy. We also stayed in Buffalo Bill State park in Cody.  That is a great place to park. We took over 600 pictures and put over 5000 miles on the Cruiser. We passed two Cruisers during the trip, one in Yellowstone and one on the way home in Indiana. Alas, work calls and I think my employees are sick of covering for me so time to put the Cruiser back into the garage for a while.

Thank you all for your tips.

David

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 06:59:05 am »

I am really glad to hear you had a great trip and returned safely. Now you need to go into more detail of what you did and saw at each of the stops. We all want to see some of your pictures. What was each persons favorite stop?
What would you recommend to someone planning a trip out west?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 07:12:22 am by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 10:00:53 pm »

Hi Tom:

Well sorry I did not respond sooner, I was busy at work trying to catch up.... I would have to say one of my favorite places was the Big Horn Mts. If I had my druthers I would stay in the campground there and stay a few days and just hike, fish and laze around. I also really liked the Grand Tetons.  When we were there the weather was hot and we stayed at Lizzard Creek cg in the park.  What a great find.  You can only stay there if your rv is 30 ft or less. They have access to Jackson Lake there and we actually put our suits on and went swimming in the cold glacial lake. Great time.  We also rented a motorboat there and spent the afternoon on the lake.  When we left Grand Tetons we drove the Thermopolis Wy and stayed overnight.  Spent the next day in the hot springs there.  What a nice state park they have.

My youngest son did not think much of hiking around devils tower.

Now I just have to figure out how to rectify the air mattress bed. It is not very comfortable.

DJM

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 07:34:16 am »

Hi David,
    We had to buy a new air mattress while on a trip because the originall one developed a hole and would not hold air. We went to Bed, Bath and Beyond, which had three different mattress. The good one ($100) looked like what we had, the better one ($200) had a pad on the top and the best one ($300) had the better pad on top. Both the better and the best ones had the motor off to one side. I felt the best one might be too thick, so we went with the better one. I ended up putting the motor at the foot of the bed and running the control wires and the electricc wire under the mattress up to the top. This allowed us to get to the quick deflate plug without laying on the bed. When we fold up the bed, we fold the leg over the mattress and then fold the bottom of the mattress over the leg bar before putting the sofa down. There is plenty of room for the motor behind the back of the sofa. If I had to do it again, I would look at the best mattress again as it might fit this way. Since my wife generallyy sleeps on the the air bed while I use the corner bed all I can say is that she thinks this mattress is far better than what came with the motorhome. I hope this is some help to you. ThumbsUp
Tom

Tom Hanlon
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 10:29:50 pm »

Tom:

Thanks for the info.  I might have to check into that. I was at Paul's seating website today to see if I could change out the airbed couch and put the old style in.  In the old Phoenix's they had a couch that folded out and I think one with a mattress. I am going to send them an  e-mail to see what options are available to me. I think I would be better off sleeping on a bed of nails than that air mattress set up.

David

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 06:05:39 am »

David, Call Carol at the factory before you call Paul's seating. Carol can find out everything you need to know and can get what you want at a lower price. Ron when to Paul for his third captains chair. After his write up I wanted one also. I called Carol and ended up paying about $50 less because she got it a wholesale, not the Paul's retail price.

Tom Hanlon
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 09:20:53 am »

I have a 2006 PC2551 that has the sofa bed that opens out at the touch of a switch and has only the padded upholstery surface.  We've really never used it, but when we opened it and tried it out, it seemed to be comfortable.  However, every time I look at  pictures of the newer models with all the nice space under the sofa, I get envious.  The older sofas have NO space under them for any storage. There may be other options, but the lack of storage really bugs me.

Jerry
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 10:19:26 am »

I did buy-direct from Pauls Seating, paying full price because the factory no longer installed my model chair (called Lexus) for their new PCs.  I was hoping PC-USA would rep for me, but I had to work direct with Paul.  I really didn't mind paying a little more because I was still able to get an exact match for a 4 year old rig.  A lengthy search of the shop revealed Paul no longer had the original leather and vinyl material.  Material from his supplier was very questionable too.  After many weeks of all that, someone in Paul's shop eventually found a small stash, just enough to make one seat.  The higher price I paid did include lumbar support which I didn't request, but was Paul's only in-stock back-rest frame.  I am very happy to have paid $425 which included delivery to the house.

About the jack-knife sofa in the earlier PC models, I have the dinette without a slide-out so I don't have first-hand experience.  But all I read from RV owners across all types of RVs, is how uncomfortable they are to sleep on.  I wondered if there was a place under or behind the jack-knife to store a rolled up foam topper, used to help with discomfort.

On one trip, I got sick and slept on our dinette converta-bed for 3 nights.  I was pleasently surprised how comfortable it was for my 5'-11" and 180 pound body.  I was just able to fully stretch out, the wood ticking both my hair and feet.  The cushions were also nice to sleep on.  I only regret getting the cloth dinette.  I wished I ordered the leather.  Maybe one day.  I still have the manufacture tags on each cushion, made by someone other than Pauls Seating.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:30:51 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 10:35:14 am »

Yes, Ron, there is some room behind the sofa where you could probably store a rolled up foam topper.  In our unit I modified a wall shelf to fit between the sofa and the wall to be used for storing miscellaneous small items like kleenex, game supplies, iPods, etc.  In fact before we moved up to the two twin bed luxury, my wife would never sleep on any our fold out camper beds without a foam topper.

Jerry
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 10:30:22 pm »

@ Jerry:  You are right about the storage underneath.  That is where the kids put all of their clothes when we travel.

@ Tom:  My first thought is to check out bed, bath and beyond as you suggest.  That is my cheapest option.

My ultimate option would to be to trade in the 2350 and get the 2551 with the single beds in the back and a slide out couch.    The problem with the 2350 bed in the back is my darling wife is a little claustripobic (sp)  and is not cmfortable back there.  So.. the kids get the back bed and we have the blow up piece of..... 

David

Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 07:43:42 am »

David,

Before you make a decision on the 2551, take a ride over to my place and look at a 2552. We have the Dinette in slide but you'll get a good idea of the difference between it and a 2551. We feel there's more room inside than what you'd expect from the minimal overall length increase between the 2552 versus the 2551 and a 2552's longer wheelbase provides a bit smoother ride than the 2551 had. Also, having the Euro-lounger or another Captain's chair in the 'Salon' (I detested the barrel chair in the 2350) makes a huge difference in the livability.

As for miles per gallon (I don't use the word economy in association with Motorhome): absolutely no difference between the 2551 and 2552 but is a little bit less than the 2350. However, the E450 pulls hills better without downshifting and I'd expect it to have an easier time towing on the flats (even our Alpine had problems towing the Edge in the mountains).

BTW, Peg is also a bit claustrophobic but the twin beds are a lot more open than our 2350's rear bed was and she has no problems whatsoever.

PM me if you're interested.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 03:57:11 pm »

David, Before you make a decision on the 2551, take a ride over to my place and look at a 2552.
If I were getting close to placing an order on a 2551, I would take up that offer to check out a 2552.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: