Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fort De Soto Campground, Pinellas County, Florida  (Read 620 times)
garmp

Helpful Rating: 23
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 3/17
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2017 2100
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Stone
ExtColor: Stone
________

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2017, 04:43:50 pm »

Anyone familiar with or even been to Fort De Soto Campground, Pinellas County? Got reservations for first part of June, due to a family gathering thing and was wandering about the sites as far as being level, proximity to dump stations and just general info on the campground and the area from your point of view. Don't have a toad, but do want to tour the area in our 2100. Need ideas on local eateries, sights, tourist stuff, etc.
Thanks all

Bob, our PC, has taken us from campers to Rv'ers and loving it.
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 158
________
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:59:51 am »

Never been there but online info looks nice. My usual method for checking out campground is: allstays.com Here is the link to ALL Florida parks, zoom in to outside of bay near Tamps and you'll see the little "C" in a circle, hover over it and you'll see the park name, click for info and links https://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/Florida-campground-map.htm. It looks like the bath houses are close and convenient, there is water and electric at every site and there might be only two dump stations, one near the entrance and the second near the causeway connecting the two islands/keys.

Next I usually choose the RVparkreviews to see what people say. Keep in mind people camp differently so when I see a negative review that says nothing close by, I'm happy if all I want is a quiet place to camp. I just make sure we have everything we need on board before we go. Note the cell service comments. If you are trying to keep in touch with the family group, this might be important to you. http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/florida/tierra-verde/fort-de-soto-campground. I also use Google maps to zoom in to the campground then change it to satellite view so I can see the tree cover, spacing between sites, etc. And last, I Googled "fort desoto campground pictures" and looked at images where I can see large, flat campsites, most with gorgeous water views.

You will have a long drive to anywhere but it looks like a beautiful place to stay. Enjoy!

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net
dickreid1

Helpful Rating: 65
________
PurchDate: Feb. 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2012
________

All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:50:46 pm »

This is one of our favorites.  Sites are level.  Good variety of campsites many with bay access if you bring your water toys.  Great for bicycling and swimming.  Not as good for shelling as Sanibel Island.
TheLuvShack

Helpful Rating: 19
________
NewUsed: Used
Model: None
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 01:45:17 pm »

We really like it. Difficult to get reservations because it is a county park and they allow residents to reserve 7 months in advance. Non-residents 6 months in advance. Bike, canoe and kayak rental at the beach. We have seen manatees and dolphin while kayaking in the calm backwaters. Great beaches and a neat old Spanish Fort to explore. We like Billy's Stone Crab Restaurant on the road to the campground. You can Uber or most of the time there's enough space to park a small rig in their lot or on the street. We've ridden our bikes there and back. About a 5 mike round trip. Enjoy!
garmp

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: 3/17
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2017 2100
IntColor: Stone
ExtColor: Stone
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 04:33:08 pm »

Thanks for the tip on Billy's. Just might have to give that a go. Always appreciate any input.

Bob, our PC, has taken us from campers to Rv'ers and loving it.
chevyboy70

Helpful Rating: 8
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: January 2015
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2005
IntColor: light
ExtColor: white
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 09:55:08 pm »

Drove thru last year with car. Beautiful campsites, all looked level, many right on water.  If you need food goods etc , get first because its a TRIP to go back out.. I would take my 2350 there but I would use a toad.
Syd and Margo

Helpful Rating: 8
________
PurchDate: 9/11
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sunlit
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 08:53:24 am »

We have stayed there numerous times.  Some sites back up to water. The park is great.  They have a fantastic beach and good Kayak fishing.  Excellent bike trails also.  Difficult to get in to, but well worth it. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: