Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fridge door fell off  (Read 2808 times)
PJ Corey

Helpful Rating: 3
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 4/2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:26:27 pm »

As I was getting ready today for a two week trip to the Texas Hill Country my refrigerator door fell off.  The plastic bottom mount hinge broke.  I immediately went on various rv sites on the internet and found that it is not uncommon for this tiny plastic hinge to collapse under the weight of a wood panel door and food items on the inside of the door.  I had not even put anything into the fridge though!  I opened the door and it fell on the floor.  So, out came the JB Weld and duct tape for a quick fixer upper so we can at least get on the road Tuesday morning.  A cooler with dry ice is the backup.  I will call  Kermit tomorrow regarding a new door under warranty but assuming a new door will have the same flimsy plastic hinges I am wondering how to stabilize it in such a way that this does not happen again.  Thoughts?

Paula
2010 2551S
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 175
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 07:04:19 pm »

I'd call the fridge manufacture first thing Monday morning.  Tell them your story.  Maybe they have a metal replacement.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 07:05:12 pm »

Since my RV is over in my storage locker, I don't remember if the fridge is a Dometic or not.  If so, this might be useful:

"I found out about this too late, but maybe this information will help someone else. A few weeks ago, the upper hinge on my Dometic fridge door broke and the door fell on the floor. I then noticed that the freezer door hinge was also cracked and ready to break. A call to Dometic confirmed that the only fix was to replace the doors. I invested over $300 in new doors. Today I found a post on a "Sportscoach" site that mentions a less expensive route. The following is quotation from that message. "The upper freezer door hinge broke on my Dometic refrigerator. I checked with Camping World and other sources and was told my only solution was to buy a complete door for $150 or so. Not liking this answer I called Dometic. They said that kits are available to repair all of the door hinges and are available through All Seasons RV Appliance Parts & Service in Elkhart, IN. You can reach them at 800-348-7697 or 800-344-0673. The upper and lower hinge repair kit cost $18.95, can be charged to a credit card and shipped anywhere and that they have any piece that you want. Since having this occur I have talked to two others that have paid for a full door ($350 or so) as well as a freezer door. This company is a valuable resource for us to know about.

The most common reason for hinge failures is doors that have not been adjusted. If you refer to Technical Article # 7 on our Website www.rv-partsplus.com you will learn how simple it is to adjust the doors and eliminate the costly replacement mentioned above."

Don't Know if this helps, but hope it does.
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:09:09 pm »

I just checked and there are replacement Norcold hinges and Dometic hinge repair kits available on eBay.  Don't know if they fit, but you might want to check them out.  I buy a lot of RV parts on eBay.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:19:46 am »

Our door also fell off because the bottom hinge broke. I crazy glued it and was able to finish our trip. When we got home and opened the door to unload, it broke again. I called Dometic and they asked how old our door was, the model number and if the inside was smooth or quilted. I told her that it was three months old, I bought it in June and this happened in September. She said she would sent me a new door with instructions on how to remove the front panel from the old door and put it into the new door. I got the door two days later, but no instructions. After playing with it for a while, I finally got the panel moved and installed the new door. No charge to me. So call Dometic if you are still under warrenty.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:21:27 am by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
PJ Corey

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 09:41:04 am »

Tom, I just talked to a very helpful rep at Norcold.  (The model # for the folks with Norcold fridges is N621L).  We are still under warranty and a new door ships tomorrow.  The rep acknowledged the broken hinge mount problem on these doors and said the new door has "reinforced hinges."

We are leaving for the TX Hill Country tomorrow.  Last night we drilled a hole through the mount hinge and filled the broken plastic (which is hollow -- no wonder it broke) with JB Weld then put a long screw and nut through the hole we drilled.  In other words, we fused the broken joint.  It is a temporary fix which I hope lasts the two weeks we are away but it might not last getting out of our driveway.  Taking a cooler with dry ice as a backup.

Paula
2010 2551S
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 175
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 09:53:12 am »

Can anyone post a picture of the break?  Examining mine this morning, I can't picture where the high-risk area is as I think I have metal hinge brackets.

Is trhe break, the material on the door itself?  That looks to be well engineered, quite strong.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:55:14 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
rockrat

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: April, 2010
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: umbra
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 10:07:31 am »

Paula

Wow! that was very nice of Norcold to ship you  the door ASAP, but I am just wondering shouldn't Norcold do a total recall. I understand this is not a life threatening situation, but for those of us that just got a new RV and are still under warranty, aren't we sitting on a time bomb waiting for the warranty to expire and then the door hinge break down.

Paula, did Norcold ask for the return of the broken door? I just wonder if I should order a repair kit as a preemptive measure or should I tell Norcold that I too have a broken hinge problem so they can send me new door with re-enforced hinge. Thanks

Donald

2010 2350 with slideout
PJ Corey

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 10:44:02 am »

Ron, the break occurred on the mount the bottom hinge fits into.  The hinge itself is fine but when the plastic mount the hinge sits in cracked the door fell straight down.  The mount protrudes from the black strip on the bottom of the fridge.  That small piece is what we fused with JB Weld and a bolt through it.   I would post a picture but am stumped about how to do that on this site.

No, the customer service rep at Norcold did not ask me to return the door.  It was a very smooth no questions asked transaction: serial # of fridge; VIN #; date of purchase; address.   I wish I had asked what model # has the reinforced hinges.  Some here may already have that door.  I'm happy to post it once I get back from our trip.

Paula
2010 2551S
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 10:36:12 am »

The hinge on our refrigerator door also broke while in Florida.  Like Paula, I called Norcold.  But unlike her, we were out of warrantee.  However, they shipped a new door to the nearest authorized repair center (Mary Esther), no charge, and paid for the labor too. Nice.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 27
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 11:08:20 pm »

I also had the bottom hinge break after only 4 uses of the refrigerator.  They're sending me a new door and not requiring the old door be returned.  Sounds like a design flaw.  I would recommend anyone close to warranty running out to call and report broken hinge to get replacement door because it's going to happen sometime...
PJ Corey

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 05:03:24 pm »

When the door fell off it was one day before we were heading out on a two week trip.  I think I mentioned above that we "fused" the door with JB Weld and a screw.  It worked through the entire trip.  In fact, it is on there so well it might never fall off again.  But the new door is here and we will put that one on and save the "fused" door in case this happens again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: