Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Curious as to those of you who down sized  (Read 2433 times)
Joseph

Helpful Rating: 21
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 3/7/2015
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Tan/Cherry
ExtColor: Gray / White
________

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2017, 08:30:47 pm »

PC is said to be  the first choice for those down sizing so I'm guessing we have some of those people here.  My question is for those of you who have downsized from a larger class C or Class A  do you have any regrets? Is there anything you really miss from the larger unit? Anything your glad to be done with?

PawPaw

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: April, 2014
IntColor: cherry wood, beige
ExtColor: tan lower body paint
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 09:37:19 pm »

PC is said to be  the first choice for those down sizing so I'm guessing we have some of those people here.  My question is for those of you who have downsized from a larger class C or Class A  do you have any regrets? Is there anything you really miss from the larger unit? Anything your glad to be done with?

We downsized from a 38 ft. class A, to a 31 ft. class A, to a 28 ft. PC 2552. M y wife is not happy about trading the 38 ft. period. I like the 2552 PC. However, I would rather go back to the F250 truck and 5th wheel that we traded in for the 38ft.class A
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 199
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 09:39:29 pm »

Nope. I prefer the ability to get into more places and when driving through construction zones. I do miss the quite basement air over the roof air.

Current PC: 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC: 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Joseph

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 11:02:06 pm »

paw paw, so I assume the 38 foot was a diesel pusher? Interesting that you'd prefer the 5th wheel , I wasn't expecting that.  Is it the truck you miss?
Joseph

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 11:03:36 pm »

Tom, I hate the roof air, so noisy. So what did you down size from?
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 199
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 07:02:47 am »

Tom, I hate the roof air, so noisy. So what did you down size from?

A 35' Winnebago Adventurer gas class A.
I have had a 8' pickup camper, a slide in bed camper on the pickup, two pop ups, a tent for two outings, a cruise ship for two outings, a 28' class C, a 34' Pace Arrow class A, a 28' Ultra star class A, a 21' Chinnock class C(my personal favorite), the 35' Winne, a 2350 PC and now the 2552 PC. I guess you can tell we have been RVing for a long time, since 1972. I prefer the smaller units for the mobility, ability to go into smaller parks like state and federal parks and just easier to drive. My wife does not like to drive anything larger than her Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, so I do all the RV driving. 

Current PC: 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC: 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Two Hams in a Can

Helpful Rating: 33
________
PurchDate: December 2016
Model: 2400 Sprinter
ExtColor: Rust
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 12:48:09 pm »

We had a 40 ft Foretravel U320 diesel pusher when health issues took us away from full time RVing.  After a time sitting in a stix & brix and hating it, we bought a 17 ft Casita trailer so it would fit in our driveway and be ready to go when doctors appointments allowed. BAD CHOICE! It was too small for two older types and two small dogs, so we kept the compact style with a PC2400 Sprinter. We can keep him plugged in and ready to go. We do miss not having much outside storage but we don't really miss the sixteen additional feet of living space. We chose Phoenix Cruiser after touring the factory and watching the building process which was not unlike that of Foretravel, which if one researches them they will see the same custom build methods used. We luv our "Fawkes".   Cheers

Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"
randallandchris

Helpful Rating: 47
________
PurchDate: June 2015
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2015
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 03:51:06 pm »

Been there, done that in 37' and 31' A's for at least 3 months per trip.  Enjoy driving the PC more but not loving it.  If our trips would evolve to longer stops of a week or more could see towing a 25' Airstream behind a Chevy Suburban or Tahoe.  Also could store a trailer closer to our favorite places and longhaul a couple days out of SW Florida before towing.

ron-n-toni

Helpful Rating: 35
________
PurchDate: 8/3/2017
ModelYear: 2017
IntColor: toast
ExtColor: toast
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 05:09:54 pm »

We went from a fifth wheel that we towed to Alaska for summer work and back home to PA for eight seasons. Then retired (again) and bought a 34 ft Newmar DP. nice but too big. We are "explorers" and couldn't get into the back country areas we like so sold the Newmar and went to the Hershey show. Wanted the 2552 but beds were to short (I'm 6'3") so ordered a 2351. We have had that one for two years and put 22000 miles on it. Very nice but just a little small. We just ordered an extended 2552 which they didn't have when we bought the 2351. The 2552 has much more interior storage than the 2351. We tow a Jeep Trailhawk so between the PC and Jeep, exterior storage is adequate. This is the last one, I swear!!!! rolling on the floor
Bruce and Sharon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 111
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 07:53:50 pm »

We've been RVers for many years.  Started with a Dodge work van that we converted to be a camper that worked great for many years until we retired.  We then had two different small trailers during a five year period, traded the last for a 32' gas class A that we used for three years until we traded it for a 37' class A diesel pusher that we lived in for six months a year until we decided to limit our RV trips to weeks instead of months.  That's when we purchased our 2552 Phoenix Cruiser and tell folks that we've "right-sized" for our stage in life--mid seventies.  We loved our diesel pusher, but found it difficult to find a storage lot for it near our home to male it easy to load and unload before and after our many shorter trips that we were beginning to make.  We can now keep the Cruiser near our house when not out on a trip.

The 2552 is perfect for us now.
__Bruce and Sharon

Bruce and Sharon
PawPaw

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: April, 2014
IntColor: cherry wood, beige
ExtColor: tan lower body paint
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 09:25:01 pm »

paw paw, so I assume the 38 foot was a diesel pusher? Interesting that you'd prefer the 5th wheel , I wasn't expecting that.  Is it the truck you miss?
It was not a diesel pusher. It was a front engine diesel: an Allegro Bay with a Cummins diesel and Allison transmission on a Freightliner MC chassis. It was a rough riding rig without an air suspension.

I miss the entire 5th wheel rig. It was easier to drive and get in and out of camp grounds and fuel stations. I could fuel up with the 18 wheelers and with the 5th wheel pivot point, it was easier to maneuver in a campground.

With a MH, I have it, plus a tow vehicle, plus a PU.  Also, the noise level was a lot less in the cab of the PU verses the MH.
HenryJ

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: April 16 del Jul 24,16
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2016
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: graystone
________

All ready for the road

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 08:00:09 am »

We down sized from an Allegro Bus Class A. It had king sized bed and a great deal of storage. I am sure there were things we carted all over the place that never came out till We did the off load to trade in when we ordered the P C 2910T . The storage space is considerably less. The kitchen cabinets are a giant negative. Hard to arrange things in. We have a sofa bed that has a stow away stuff drawer so we have more than most. It is a big assist. At present we have just barely 2500 miles since we picked it up last end of July. We had several hiccups. we tow our 2015 4 door jeep still. Not sure how it will be going up and down hills. Short on power it appears ...it is 31 ft. We now have some things in the back of the jeep that we carried in some compartment. We have not carried my folding bike but it could probably make the back end of the jeep. In about 3 weeks or so we will do an adventure to see some folks where the flat lands end. And our real test will begin. Space wise it is adequate. I finally installed the toilet paper holder and the hand  towel bar. And resorted all interior spaces so things are better there. Now need to do this change out at home and down size there too. I like some of the places we can go with this unit b. And the curiosity by folks on the road remains it does look nice. You cannot open some outside doors and move the slide outs on this one so beware. There are no warning labels. we have 3 slide extensions. Good luck on the change out. I like reg fuel now don't need truck stop fueling. And we can get in and out to refuel at some car stations. With tow car still takes thinking about the maneuvering.
We do have some complaints. I use a GPS that plugs in and keep the built in on Cam (camera) it is hard to see from drivers seat. Needs different angle to be viewable. And no Alt on ignition so means no use of radio (and satellite) when not  in running mode... and no fix from PC for that . It can be fixed we hear but a big job and $ .
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 06:24:06 pm by HenryJ » Logged

Patricia & Jim
He's in charge I just drive
Joseph

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 05:24:11 pm »

Interesting stuff .. I wanted a 34/36 foot Super c diesel. My better half wouldn't hear of it because she wants to drive as well and feels anything bigger than 28 foot she would be too intimidated to try. I did drive some larger 34 foot gas class c and I felt it was a bit under powered with a gas plant.  I would never think to full time in something this small but that's not our intention anyway.

I'm guessing we will never buy another rig. 
ron-n-toni

Helpful Rating: 35
________
PurchDate: 8/3/2017
ModelYear: 2017
IntColor: toast
ExtColor: toast
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 06:45:20 pm »

As far as the radio goes, Phoenix now offers a switch that changes the power source for the radio from the chassis to coach batteries. I ordered it on our 2552X. On my current 2351,  I pulled the radio and changed the radio power source from the yellow (Ford) wire to the red wire and now have full time sat radio. Just don't forget to turn it off.
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 48
________
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
Model: 2350 Ford
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 08:18:27 pm »

ron-n-toni

Curious, is that all it takes to power radio from House Batteries?

Your Word our Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: