Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Replacment Batteries  (Read 522 times)
TCornwell

Helpful Rating: 0
________
________

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2010, 01:43:39 pm »

I have a 2007 21 ft PC in which I want to replace the coach batteries.  I understand that I'll need two 12V deep cycle, group 27 batteries and, at one time, Optima was recommended.  I live in a very mild Texas climate and, when I'm not camping, I don't keep the unit plugged in and I always turn off the battery switch by the entry door - I also go out in my rig for 10 miles or so on the weekends to keep all the juices flowing; I also will plug in on the weekends for 24-48 hours or run the generator for an hour or more once a month to exercise it.  I've two questions -

1) Any recommendations for a specific brand of battery?
2) What is the little wire that appears to have a rectangle lead on the end - just sitting on the floor of the battery compartment between the two batteries?  Should this be hooked up to something?

Thank you!
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 175
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 03:10:23 pm »

You and I have the same model year, though different models.

The thin wire with the plastic rectangular thing on the end is a temperature sensor.  If the batteries get hot from over-charging, that sensor will shut off the charging system.  Tape the plastic thing in between the batteries, to one of them, in the middle.  With the batteries pressed together, the temp sensor monitors both.

There is a lot of discussion on batteries in other forums.  Some people say it's best to use two 6 volt batteries in series instead of two 12 volt batteries in parallel.  Others say to buy gel filled batteries.  Then there is a 3rd higher-tech dry cell.  Costs can get up to $600 a pair.  I contemplated my options, and decided last July to replace my original batteries with a pair of Walmart's yellow label Everstart Maxx Marine batteries for around $75 each.  They are much larger than the originals with increased reserve capacity, but they still fit in the tray.  The height fits too.  it's a snug fit but still fine.  I keep my receipt in the RV.  If the Walmart batteries give me trouble, the solution is just a Walmart away.  One thing I like about them are the deeper wells.  You can fill them with distilled water until they touch those tubes, and you still have plenty of room to prevent over-boil.  I also like the integrated carry handle.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:24:02 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TCornwell

Helpful Rating: 0
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 03:32:07 pm »

Thanks so much for your reply!  In fact, I just got off the phone with a nearby Walmart - they quoted me $70 for EVERSTART 27DC DEEP CYCLE with 720 CRANKING AMPS...perhaps they are the same ones that you've mentioned.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 175
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 04:51:14 pm »

Thanks so much for your reply!  In fact, I just got off the phone with a nearby Walmart - they quoted me $70 for EVERSTART 27DC DEEP CYCLE with 720 CRANKING AMPS...perhaps they are the same ones that you've mentioned.
They could be the same ones....it sounds right.  Maybe I paid $70, not $75.  Maybe it was $75 with sales tax.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: