Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Inverter / Charger Settings  (Read 1499 times)
NLK

Helpful Rating: 15
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: August 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry / Gray
ExtColor: Gray full paint
________

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2010, 02:33:05 pm »

I have a Tripp-Lite Inverter / Charger in my MH under the refrigerator - 2008 2551S.  I'm getting conflicting information.  I believe, I'm now more confused about using the Inverter / Charger than before I started talking to a few people.  The one thing I know is the Inverter changes DC from the batteries to AC.  By the way, I'm a full believer in the KISS method; especially because I sit at the low end of the scale for electrical know how.   

Located on the front panel there are 2 options: Auto or Charge Only that have lights on each side.  Inside on the Inverter there is a Reset switch and I can find no On / Off switch.

While plugged into Shore Line at the park, should the Inverter be set on Auto or Charge Only?

While stored in my garage between trips, not plugged into an A/C outlet, should the Inverter be set on Auto or Charge Only?

While driving down the road, should the Inverter be set on Auto or Charge  Only?     

In each one of these questions should the Battery on/off switch next to the steps be On or Off?

Help !! I know I'm asking for a lot ..... I would greatly appreciate if somebody could get my head straightened over this.  If there was a "smiley icon pulling their hair out" this is where I sure could use it.

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 05:08:45 pm »

NLK,

I highly recommend you READ THIS as it relates to controlling the inverter independantly to conserve battery power which is smart when camping without shore power.

The Tripp-Lite control panel two position switch is deactivated at the factory through a headphone style connector with wires going to the power control switch at the entry door.  It does not matter what position that Tripp-Lite switch is in.  Confusing, right?  Why is it there?  Use it only to moniter the health of the batteries.

Assuming your 2008 Tripp Lite is like my 2007, there is a little 3-position switch on the top/right area of the inverter itself, just above the reset switch.  Guess what the 3-positions are?  Auto Invert, OFF, and Line Charge.  The control panel switch you question, is a remote extension of that control switch, but excludes the OFF position.

Unless you are trying to achieve what my "READ THIS" article accomplishes, simply ignore the position of the control panel switch as it doesn't matter.  The control panel is then only useful for monitoring the condition of the batteries through the colors of the LEDs.

To answer your specific questions under the factory wiring setup...
Q: While plugged into Shore Line at the park, should the Inverter be set on Auto or Charge Only?
A: It Doesn't Matter

Q: While stored in my garage between trips, not plugged into an A/C outlet, should the Inverter be set on Auto or Charge Only?
A: It Doesn't Matter.

Q: While driving down the road, should the Inverter be set on Auto or Charge  Only?
A: It Doesn't Matter

Q: In each one of these questions should the Battery on/off switch next to the steps be On or Off?
A: Killing RV power using the switch at the door kills all 12V opperations inside the RV, including the fridge.  That is bad during any time you have food in the fridge.  That is good during RV storage.

I editted this a couple times since intially replying.  I realized I had some things wrong.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:46:32 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
NLK

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 03:13:16 pm »

Ron Many thanks to you, I now have the accurate understanding of the Inverter/Charger setup.  The way you explained it sure made a difference with it sinking into my thick skull.

Sheepishly I'd like to ask one more question.  Is the Inverter connected to the engine and house batteries??  I wonder where the connection is because the engine can be started from the emergency switch to the house batteries and if the electric steps are out they will retract if the ignition is turned on.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 04:33:55 pm »

The Tripp-Lite inverter is NOT connected to the Ford engine battery, therefore, does NOT charge that battery when plugged into 110v.  BUT the Ford engine charging system (the alternator etc.) does charge the RV batteries.  I think, though not 100% certain, Phoenix USA installed a "battery isolator" which prioritizes the engine's battery charging system to charge the engine battery first, the RV batteries afterward.  I had such a device on my old motor home.

To the best of my knowledge, the electric step is the only RV item which is powered by the engine battery, this to assure it folds in automatically prior to driving off.  With my RV batteries removed from the RV, my electric step still functions.  But everything else in the house portion is 100% dead.

NLK

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 08:55:21 pm »

I believe hopefully, we have the problem that "originally" started all my electrical concerns and dilemma solved.  The original problem ... the engine battery would not hold it's charge, something was draining it.  I had the battery checked twice with a load on it and it read good.  Go home and put a full charge on it and before you know it, dead again. 
Long long story made short ....With electric steps you can lock the steps out so everytime that you open the door, the steps don't have to go out and then retract back in when closing the door.  There is a light "under" the top step that should remain on for 5 minutes and then turn off.  The light was not turning off.  In the garage with the bright ceiling lights on and dirt over the step bulb area, it was not noticed that the step light was remaining on all the time.  Had a switch and piece of wire replaced and all seems good. 
The key to narrowing everything down was when Ron said the steps run off the engine battery NOT the house batteries.
Ron thank you for your patience and AGAIN sharing your knowledge.
mtownsen

Helpful Rating: -1
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2900
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 10:02:36 am »

Re: There is a light "under" the top step that should remain on for 5 minutes and then turn off.  The light was not turning off.  In the garage with the bright ceiling lights on and dirt over the step bulb area, it was not noticed that the step light was remaining on all the time.  Had a switch and piece of wire replaced and all seems good. 

Thanks for this - I believe this is the diagnosis for an intermittent problem I have been seeing as well. Perfect.

Cheers - Mark T
aimee
Administrator
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 61
________
Model: 2100
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 06:13:04 pm »

If there was a "smiley icon pulling their hair out" this is where I sure could use it.

Ask and you shall receive  ;-)

pulling hair out

That's really about the extent of my help on this subject. I know there are a lot of folks on the forum here who have a good grasp of this, though.

Aimee, Webmistress
NLK

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 06:55:56 pm »

Love it .......even though I'm not upset anymore I want to use it.
Thanks Aimee    pulling hair out     pulling hair out     pulling hair out     pulling hair out
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 04:07:45 am »

pulling hair out   Very Funny....I Love It!   pulling hair out

bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 11:30:47 am »

Oh great, now there are little bits of hair on the desk in front of my screen.

LOL, Bob

2010  PC 2551
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: