Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Heading out from Mechanicsburg, PA Thanksgiving week  (Read 1860 times)
pyrthkr
« on: October 28, 2010, 05:25:31 pm »

Picking up our 2008 2551 & will park it almost immediately [Western Village CG?Cowboy ] west of Mechanicsburg to push all the buttons & jump up & down on the beds chandelier.  From there to Columbus [ no decision where to park there as yet] to see one of the children & then on to the Valley of the Sun.  Any recommendations? SOSHelp
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 07:47:15 pm »

We are headed towards Washingtons Crossing Pa next week, but sans the Phoenix.  We have not found Eastern Pa to be winter friendly to RV's.  Been there in at least 3 different RV's and none of the trips were memorable in the camping sense.  Been there in a couple of snow storms around T-giving and PTA seems to think that quarter to half inch clinkers make for good traction, they do, but hell on paint jobs.  I had to have a motorhome front end and a pickup back to the doors repainted.

There is a dearth of anything this time of year from St Louis Eastward on I-70 and then 76, in my opinion.  We spent long days waiting for commercial campgrounds to be open that never were and rest areas are no longer do-able IMO.  The reference books for camping seem not to get the winter (open/close dates)  stuff right.  Even the hill country of Missouri (most along I-44) are closed for the most part until the West side of the state.  Oklahoma and Texas better until you get to New Mexico and then the altitude will freeze the campgrounds out again.

In our travels from Oklahoma to Pa, we pretty much count on longer than normal travel days just to hit what may perchance be open.  BUT not this time.

L. G.
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 09/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:26:20 pm »

Welcome to our little family.  We who live here in NE PA happen to think our state is rather beautiful.  Especially in the Pocono Mtns.  If you ever need any advice on where to camp or see or do, give a shout. 

DJM

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
echo11

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: 4/18/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: No
IntColor: maple/ biege
ExtColor: umbre
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 08:53:33 am »

DJM,
We will be picking up our 2011 PC 2350 at Fretz RV, Souderton, PA in April.  We are planning to spend a few days in the area to work out the kinks before heading home.  Any suggestions of campgrounds close to Souderton?  Thanks!
Roni
pyrthkr
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 03:04:32 pm »

Well, the date is finally here & we're flying out from Phoenix tomorrow.  After the pickup in Mechanicsburg on Saturday we'll park nearby in Carlisle at the Western Village RV Park; from there to north of Columbus; Davenport, Lincoln area & then Thanksgiving w/friends in Fort Collins.  We'll cross the rockies & stop at Moab; maybe Monument Valley or Santa Fe/Chalma.  The only reservation we have is in Carlisle so speak up if you have a favorite in the area we're passing through.  Big trip for our 1st time!
 Wink ThankYou
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 06:37:39 pm »

There are a lot of RV parks in Moab area, we stay at the Canyonlands RV Park right in town because we can walk to shopping and restaurants.  For dry camping near Moab, we like Horsethief Campground on the road into Canyonlands National Park (hwy 313), it is a BLM campground and usually not crowded.  Near Monument Valley we have camped in Valley of the Gods, it is a 17 mile good gravel road off hwy 163 near Mexican Hat.  There are no specified campsites or facilities, you just find a good spot off the road and enjoy the spectacular views.

Have a great trip,
Bob

2010  PC 2551
pyrthkr
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 06:58:25 pm »

Thanks.  We'll put those locations on the list and check them out.

ThankYou
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 10:57:17 am »

About ever place you are headed is wifi'd hope you will keep us updated on your travels and the weather.

L.G.
pyrthkr
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 06:11:08 pm »

Got most of it figured out in Carlisle last night.  Temperature went to 29 o-night but nice & comfy in the 2551.  Got a late start (9:15ish) this am but still made it to Delaware, OH - just N of Columbus where we're staying at the Cross Creek Camping Resort & our step-son has met up w/us.  Nice place & winter rates are a better deal.  So far, WI-FI @ both locations has been pretty slow so I've booted up my MI-FI & that's what I'm using now.  Temp got up to 68 on the drive today and isn't supposed to get below the low 50s 2-nite.  Off 2 Davenport 2moro.

WavingCow
pyrthkr
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 01:40:57 pm »

Went from Delaware, OH to Goodfield, IL where the cold weather finally caught up w/us.  BTW - don't bother thinking about staying @ the Yogi Bear Jellystone park here - we made our reservations $ paid via laptop on the rd & didn't see a soul when we arv & ofc closed, no facilities open.  Price sh/hv reflected this & shame on me for not asking.  No problems on the PC but it was cold performing the 1st dump.  Next stop was Lincoln, NE where the cold stayed w/us & we had some freezing rain the next am as we nervously headed out.  Made it to friends in Ft Collins, CO & had a wonderful T-giving celebration.  Took leftovers to Las Vegas, NM where the cold really came in & I couldn't get the Sanicon pump to come on when we tried to dump in the am.  Will check it again when we stop in Holbrook today.  Learning a lot about the unit & very glad we've had more than a few days to get used to her.  Hope you all are having an enjoyable holiday..

cool
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 07:32:46 pm »

sounds like you are having a good time. Don't forget to turn on the tank heaters.  Switch is in the bathroom.  If all else fails,  you may have to use the manual dump until the weather warms.  My baby is put away for the winter.. ah work and bills call.  Have a great time.

DJM

pyrthkr
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 08:48:44 pm »

sanicon pump worked fine when we arv @ Holbrook Good Sam park.  1st site we've been able to sit outside @ picnic table & have a cocktail.  Ashamed to admit I pulled a rookie mistake & forgot to take the cap off the feeder hose from the sanicon. 
 shrug
U can imagine what happened from there!  Everything ok now & co-pilot figured out how to hook up the cable TV via the bedrm window.
Home 2moro & the adventure continues.
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 05:45:09 am »

Even the non-rookies sometimes make a "mistake" with the sani-con cap--just ask George!

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
pyrthkr
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 04:34:10 pm »

Don't know if you were following our posts but we decied not to head into the Rockies from Ft Collins.  The roads appeared to be dry but there was plenty of snow on the sides & a storm coming in from the coast which presumably wd/hv hit us somewhere between Moab & Monument Valley.  Ended up going S on I-25 to Las Vegas, NM (where the sanicon pump was frozen in the am) & then on to Holbrook, AZ.  Saw plenty of snow after we got off 377 in AZ somewhere near Heber & Overgaard & if it wasn't for a Bekins moving semi-truck whose tire tracks I decided to follow, I'd probably still be there.  Will keep your recommendations for the Moab area on file.  thanks again!

obliged WavingCow
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 09:55:58 pm »

sounds like an a-- cheek squeezer there.  Yikes. Have fun.
 Cry

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: