Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Waste Tank Sensor Probes  (Read 1933 times)
NLK

Helpful Rating: 15
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: August 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry / Gray
ExtColor: Gray full paint
________

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2010, 01:27:30 pm »

Good afternoon all.  I'm not in any type of dilemma nor do I feel the need to pull my hair out "this time". Grin  I'm just pondering over purchasing a product but would like to know if anyone has used it and if so, how did it work.  Replacing the waste tank sensors with the HORST MIRACLE PROBES.  It almost seems too good to be true so that sent up the red warning flag.  I was hoping that someone in the Forum might have experience with or information to share about these probes.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 02:52:16 pm »

I personally have not used them, but thought I would comment on the waste tank sensors which most motor homes have as we all PC owners also have.

People with all brands of RVs say their waste tank sensors don't hold up over the years.   With mine, so far, so good after 3.5 years.  I wonder if I'll be okay for a long time because of the way I prep my RV for winter.

I store our motor home in our heated garage which happens to be under our master bedroom.  We sleep all year long, about 3 feet away from our PC waste tank vent with a house floor in between.  In an effort to eliminate any "potential" for RV sewer gas, at the end of every RV season, I pour one bottle of bleach down the RV drains & toilet, let sit an hour in the traps, then continue to fill up the waste tanks through the sinks, shower, and toilet until both tanks are full.  I also run the mascerator pump briefly to get the diluted bleach solution in that system.  Then I let it all sit around a half day, then drain both tanks into the ditch next to the driveway.  This thoroughly cleans the tanks and mascerator system, elimiates sewer gas odor, and "I Hope" cleans off the waste tank sensors.

BTW: The bleach also does a very nice job of cleaning the toilet bowl and trap door there.  I fill the toilet bowl to near top with water and a little bleach, and let that soak too.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 03:18:48 pm »

I store our motor home in our heated garage which happens to be under our master bedroom.  We sleep all year long, about 3 feet away from our PC waste tank vent with a house floor in between.  In an effort to eliminate any "potential" for RV sewer gas, at the end of every RV season, I pour one bottle of bleach down the RV drains & toilet, let sit an hour in the traps, then continue to fill up the waste tanks through the sinks, shower, and toilet until both tanks are full.  I also run the mascerator pump briefly to get the diluted bleach solution in that system.  Then I let it all sit around a half day, then drain both tanks into the ditch next to the driveway.  This thoroughly cleans the tanks and mascerator system, elimiates sewer gas odor, and "I Hope" cleans off the waste tank sensors.

BTW: The bleach also does a very nice job of cleaning the toilet bowl and trap door there.  I fill the toilet bowl to near top with water and a little bleach, and let that soak too.

Ron, I was wondering what size bottle of bleach you are using. I have heard that to much bleach can hurt the seals in the valves. I have used /14 cup per gallon of water to clean the fresh water tank but never have I used it for cleaning the holding tanks or this new to me sani-con system.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 05:03:36 pm »

I use one bottle of laundry bleach to treat the entire waste system.  Years ago bleach was sold by the gallon with 5% solution, now maybe 3 quarts at 6% solution.  I pour more in the black tank being bigger at 35 gallons, and it's the worse of the two.  My grey is only 23 gallons.

My RV smells like fresh laundry when done....Smile
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:06:11 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 08:55:52 pm »

I  don't want to throw cold water on a process that is obviously working for you, but, bleach is very hard on rubber components and also will cause "white rust" of the Sani-Con SS parts if left in contact too long.  Cole-Parmers compatibility list rates both materials as only fair for sodium hypochlorite contact less than 20% concentration.

There are some bug based cleaners and enzymatic types that do a great job for end of year (winterizing)  tank cleaning that pretty much take care of the sludge referred to in the original post.

L. G.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 05:58:31 am »

There are some bug based cleaners and enzymatic types that do a great job for end of year (winterizing)  tank cleaning that pretty much take care of the sludge referred to in the original post.

L. G.

Could you provide me with some product names and if and how you use them? Thanks

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 09:06:18 am »

At the risk of angering/embarrassing Peg, who mistakenly used it to clean the toilet bowl, I can tell you that Bleach WILL destroy seals, which I must now replace.  pulling hair out

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 09:37:23 am »

rmmpe,

I just now went down in the garage and checked my toilet seal.  It's in great shape showing no sign of deterioration.  I don't think my bleach process damaged it.

Are you sure your black toilet seal needs to be replaced or simply cleaned?  Open the toilet flusher and wipe the underside of the black seal with a paper towel soaked in Windex.  If the towel gets blackened severely, the black rubber may have suffered.  If the towel shows black dirt, maybe the seal only needed a good cleaning to provide a good seal once again.

What I am about to share next might be applicable to the toilet seal.

I learned many years ago, when windshield wiper blades get weathered then streak the window, you can extend their life by cleaning the oxidation off the rubber using a tissue soaked with laquer thinner.  An extreme amount of pure black material comes off quick and easy.  It takes 3 or more tissues to clean both wiper blades completely.  When done, the wiper blades do a fine job for a while longer.

Maybe cleaning the black toilet seal with laquer thinner will achieve the same.  It's worth a try before you replace it, right?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:39:50 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 01:01:00 pm »

Tom,

I use a product that I believe I bought at Home Depot called Zep Drain Care.  It lists bacteria and several enzymes on the label.  I mix it according to label directions and add to a full black tank of water and let it work for 3-4 days and then pump it into the city sewer.  It will also take care of soap scum that tends to "plate" out on the gray tank, and any other "stuff" that may be in the tank.  I think there are other formulations that are used to enhance septic systems performance that would work as well.  I have used this treatment for at least 10 years, at the end of the using season, and it works well for me, although not providing laundry fresh smelling tanks.  While doing this I also keep the dump valves open and hopefully particulates are removed from the seal areas there too (taking apart and cleaning valves, overhead as it were, is not one of my favorite projects).

I think that the bleach use is "probably" okay if a fresh water rinse is used to lower the concentration, but a life of working in a lab still makes me check the compatibility charts before I get in trouble. Just me.

L. G.
NLK

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 02:28:00 pm »

Okie Dokie no takers on the Horst Sensor Probes.   shrug  I kinda figured if someone had used them they would have jumped in with words of wisdom by now.  Enquiring minds want to know, I'll keep looking for more info on them.
DaveV

Helpful Rating: 0
________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 12:45:50 am »

Yes. We have installed them, and they are GREAT.  Now when we empty the tanks, for the first time since we bought our unit in '07' the indicators actually show empty.  On our model, no problems with instalation, last spring. No problems since as well.  Several of our IntrVec-Phoenix Travel Club members have installed them as well, but in older units, ('05), and had some difficulty due to the location of the existing sensors - but got the job done, and now they, also have "Empty" readings after dumping the tanks - a first for them as well, ever since new.

Recommended.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 08:19:42 am »

I must have gotten lucky because our factory originals have been working fine since new.

NLK

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 09:22:04 am »

DaveV ... thanks for your input on the Horst Sensor Probes.
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 11:09:16 am »

Ron,

Thanks for the hint; I'll try it.

BTW, Peg put a cup of full-strength bleach in the bowl and it sat until the seal went.
Somehow I can't be too hopeful the seal survived that.

As a side: I'm strongly considering replacing the entire toilet with a smaller ceramic model with the low-mounted foot lever (like was in our Alpine). We'll see.

Did you get your recliner yet?

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 12:41:38 pm »

....Peg put a cup of full-strength bleach in the bowl and it sat until the seal went.
Somehow I can't be too hopeful the seal survived that.

Did you get your recliner yet?
Straight Bleach Until Failure?  How long did the straight bleach sit in the bowl?
I used a bleach solution, not sure what strength, guessing maybe 4-6oz sitting in the bowl with the rest water, filled to near over-flowing.  I had it soaking like that for maybe 3-4 hours.  My toilet bowl seal with trap door is fine.

About the recliner......replacing my barrel chair with a 3rd front captain seat.  I called Pauls Seating early this week, asking when I could expect delivery.  I left a message but did not yet hear back from him.

Last I heard he was ordering material to match my other seats because he was out of stock.  Maybe the hang-up is there.  I quickly learned, Paul is not too good on returning calls or email.  It requires extra patience.  It's okay as I am in no hurry.  Still, I'd like it to move along.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: