Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fiberglass Finish Problem  (Read 640 times)
Donna

Helpful Rating: 1
________
________

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2010, 10:29:49 pm »

Help! The finish on our 2005 rig has vertical streaking. It looks as though the finish is washing away. You can scratch it off with your finger. We've had it checked at two local RV shops with differing opinions.

One fellow thought the fiberglass molds were sprayed at the factory with something that eventually wears off. The other fellow thought that the unit was sprayed with something to make it shiney (either by the manufacturer or used RV dealer) and now it's wearing off. Neither opinion included normal ozidation. Suggested solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Donna
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:20:37 am »

Speaking from experience with a different brand motorhome.  Try using a polishing compound and see if the streaks go away.  If they do, then wax it.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
NC Sailors

Helpful Rating: 19
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 10:04:43 am »

Concur with Ron Dittmer....The best way to keep unpainted fiberglass gelcoat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelcoat) looking good is to keep it clean and waxed. West Marine for one sells a variety of products to maintain fiberglass.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~ ~ ~
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 10:55:20 am »

While I agree with the previous responses, let me give you my thoughts on the matter.  First, indoor storage goes a long way toward keeping your rig looking good.  Second, find yourself a reasonable and good detail guy.  I have one that lives in the community where I live that has researched everything there is to know about the proper wash solutions, waxes, rubber coatings, etc.  I drive a 2006 PC 2551 that has always been indoors and I have had detailed twice since I bought it early this year and people think it's a brand new unit, even after a 5000 mile trip through grasshopper country.  My congratulations to those of you who like doing your own waxing, but when you get a little older, find a good detailer.  FYI, mine charges about $150 for a full exterior detailing and it's a work of art.
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
Slide: Yes
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 08:57:32 pm »

what ever you decide do it in a place thats not seen much. I used a very light scratch remover with success. BUT I have dome some dumb things, be careful. billy

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: