Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3" sewer hose  (Read 438 times)
garmp

Helpful Rating: 23
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 3/17
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2017 2100
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Stone
ExtColor: Stone
________

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2017, 04:53:36 pm »

With the mercerator system as standard equipment on PC's, does anyone carry a 3" sewer hose? What length? and why?

Thanks

Bob, our PC, has taken us from campers to Rv'ers and loving it.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 199
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 05:05:33 pm »

I carry a 20 hose that I use when we are staying more than a couple of days. I leave the gray open until just before I need to dump the black. Then I dump the black real fast, moving all the solids out much better than the slow moving Mercator does. After closing the black, I open the gray again and dont have to think about dumping for several more days. The big hose dumps faster and a lot quieter.
Some people say that allows gas into my RV. Not so as I leave a lower section of the hose between the RV and the ground hole, forming a block like a P trap works. I dont use those slinky ramps. Even if gas was to get into the tank, it would just exhaust out the top vent on the roof.

That is just my way of doing things and I am sticking to my way.

Current PC: 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC: 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Carol

Helpful Rating: 102
________
PurchDate: July 2014
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2015 (2351)
Slide: No
IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
ExtColor: Sterling simplified
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 07:32:37 pm »

I carried the basic Rhino 3-inch hose kit in its box just in case I ever needed it.  When I bottomed out my driver's side rear and broke the seal where the macerator attaches to the rest of the stuff back there, I was very happy to have that kit available.  After someone helped me get the macerator out, I decided to just use the manual dump method until the next time I was in Elkhart, at which time I would decide whether to get a new macerator installed or simply continue with the low-tech method.  After six months of manually dumping, I did not miss the macerator once.  So when I did get to Elkhart, they helped cut out and dispose of the tubing and that way I could fit my Rhino hose in that compartment.  (In addition, I have a 10 foot extension hose, if needed, although I have never used it.  I do not camp hooked up to sewer, though.  If you do, then that extension may well be helpful.)

Fast-track back four years to when I was exploring what RV to buy and what options to get, I was never a fan of the macerator.  It looked like one more thing that could go wrong and that I could not fix and that would be really nasty if it happened to go wrong at a bad-black-dumping moment.  Phoenix had it as a standard item, though, so I took it.  In hindsight, I would have asked if it was possible to set the rig up for manual dump from the start.  Just my two cents.  Grin

RheaNL

Helpful Rating: 74
________
PurchDate: October 4, 2012
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk lower
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 10:03:06 am »

Absolutely carry one.  First time you crack or jam the macerator you will be glad for the extra equipment. We have a 2100 so not much storage but still considered it essential.

Like Carol, we dry camp a lot in national forest and on BLM land so don't stay connected.  Broke the macerator twice and it jammed once between the two breaks. After the second time, I disconnected the macerator, removed all the parts in the side compartment and store a 10 ft. 3" hose and flushing hose in there. We carry a 10 ft. extension in with the spare tire should we need a longer hose. Increases the process a few steps, but overall way less hassle, at least for us.
jatrax
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: November 2016
ModelYear: 2017
IntColor: Graystone
ExtColor: Graystone
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 06:00:00 pm »

I have a Rhino hose rolled up in the trunk, tucked back in that area that isn't too useful anyway.  Never used it, still in the plastic.  But it's there if I ever need it.

One tip I learned at the Phoenix Club rally was that even with just the macerator hose you can open the gray valve and leave it open if you are staying long.  If it doesn't drain at first go out and bump the macerator pump on  for just a few seconds to get it flowing and it will siphon on its own after that.  Shut the gray valve the day before you leave to fill the gray tank and then flush as normal.  Worked great for me.

fandj

Helpful Rating: 53
________
ModelYear: 2016
ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 06:40:32 am »

We have a Rhino hose which is stored with the spare tire on the rear of the Phoenix.  We carry it for emergency use and found the 3 hose very helpful when we developed a small hole in the macerator hose.

After stopping the leak in the macerator hose we returned to using the macerator which I much prefer.  As stated above when in campgrounds with sewer connections we typically leave the gray water valve open if we will be staying multiple days.

I am not sure of the difference in pumping rates between the older and the newer Turbo model but I find the Turbo to very quickly dump both tanks and it is more convenient not to have to connect and disconnect and rinse the Rhino hose.  Havent measured the difference in dump times between the macerator method vs. the 3 hose but I doubt there would be much difference (the macerator may actually be quicker).  I am always impressed how quickly the Turbo macerator empties the tanks.  As in most things having a backup plan is wise and thankfully I had the Rhino when I needed it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:22:58 am by fandj » Logged
Two Hams in a Can

Helpful Rating: 33
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: December 2016
Model: 2400 Sprinter
ExtColor: Rust
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:27:00 am »

This is our first experience with using a macerator in almost 20 years of RVing in four different RVs, and we love it (not having any breakdowns so far-knock on wood).  As far as time in dumping, we both have our getting underway jobs, and it doesn't take (for me) any more time than getting out the 3" components, dumping, washing out and storing at a fhu site.  While at a dump station, DW usually sets up the GPS while I'm pumping, so time is used efficiently.  We do carry a 10ft 3" hose in the spare tire compartment just in case.  

Side note-When the rare occasion arises that we get home and park Fawkes in the driveway still containing a small quantity of black tank contents; we merely run a dedicated 50ft garden hose down to the basement bathroom (lucky us) and pump and flush away.  Couldn't do that with a 3" setup as we had dealt with in the past.  Happy trails. . . Cheers

Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"
garmp

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: 3/17
ModelYear: 2017 2100
IntColor: Stone
ExtColor: Stone
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 04:12:26 pm »

Sounds like a 3" hose set-up is a must. Just wish the shower in a 2100 was a bit larger. After storing the leveling blocks, other misc gear and now a box of 3" sewer hose components, room is getting full. Just hope we don't get dirty. Grin

Bob, our PC, has taken us from campers to Rv'ers and loving it.
Two Hams in a Can

Helpful Rating: 33
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: December 2016
Model: 2400 Sprinter
ExtColor: Rust
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 07:23:53 pm »

We had a similar storage crunch, especially with my Pride Mobility "cripple cart"; so we got this.  LUV IT!  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G4Z5J0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1        Cheers

Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"
fandj

Helpful Rating: 53
________
ModelYear: 2016
ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 12:37:40 pm »

Sounds like a 3" hose set-up is a must. Just wish the shower in a 2100 was a bit larger. After storing the leveling blocks, other misc gear and now a box of 3" sewer hose components, room is getting full. Just hope we don't get dirty. Grin

If your PC has a spare tire mounted on the rear of the coach you can probably store a 10 collapsible Rhino hose inside the fiberglass that covers the spare tire.  That is what we do.  If we used the 3 hose exclusively we would look for a more convenient place to store it but since we only use it should something happen to the macerator system it is a good out of the way storage location.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:56:48 pm by fandj » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: