• PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
Re: Rain Water Leaks into coach.
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2017, 10:42:54 am »
Volkemon, thanks so much for your narrative and photos on what you found.  Fortunately I havenít had any leaks so far (knock on wood) but I am paranoid about this occurring.  Even though my unit is only about a year and a half old I frequently inspect the roof caulking and have touched it up to try and stay ahead of any issues.

One area of concern i have is where the roof and sides mate up with the front and rear fiberglass end caps.  I see on the sides in your photos this is where you found areas where water was getting in.  Is this just a simple U channel that snaps over the seam or how is it retained? 
The front and rear caps lap over the side panels. On the rear cap, it appeared that the cap was pop-riveted every 6 inches or so to the body panels. There is a metal track that then was riveted on top of the seam, with rivets that barely went through both layers below. The trim you see on the outside clpis on to the metal track, hiding it. 

As you mentioned several screws were used are they just screwed in to the outer fiberglass skin or do they depend of the Luan plywood interior panel for their anchor?  Since I have not seen this splice joint disconnected other than your photos and I am a little confused as to how it supposed to work.  Any clarification you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

The screws on the rear cap seam were all added in a previous repair that was done rather poorly. They anchor the surface track into the rear cap and side skins similar to the original pop-rivets. Before my ownership, It would appear that the rear corner hit something. With a new, undamaged coach I wouldnt worry too much about those seams.

Have to run right now, but I will be doing some searching on where to get the track and cover trim. *Might even be a factory item still available! 

The biggest leak I would worry about is the trim covering the wall to lower skirt seam. This unsealed area was funneling water into the doorstep of my coach. We will see what the next rain shows... 

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 06:24:49 am »
Ok... the metal base trim that screws/rivets to the coach is very similar (if not identical) to this -

source - http://www.all-rite.com/aluminum-moldings/trim-moldings/m53-5-8-base-cap-trim

and then there is a Vinyl cover that goes over it-

Source - http://www.all-rite.com/screw-covers-and-trims/100-vinyl-cap

NOT exactly what is on the coach now, this product is a but more 'rounded off' on top.

The cover snaps right over the track after it is attached to the coach. Covers the screws/rivets from weather.

AND available in 250 foot rolls...I can get pieces long enough to eliminate the seams on the top of my coach.  2o2 Just have to measure to make sure it fits the existing base molding on the coach from the factory.

The sealing process i used was to put a healthy bead of 'urethane between the coach and the metal base, on both sides. Then when I snapped the cover on, it caused some 'bulging' of the excess sealant, which I then worked to a smoother transition. Hopefully a weather tight seal!  :-D

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Beige / Hickory
  • ExtColor: Custom paint
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 02:25:58 am »
Call Carol at Phoenix USA for your oem parts needs.   It's not quite as simple  as ordering Winnebago parts, but Carol is there to help and the parts are priced fairly. No need for  reverse engineering.

I had a VW before too (Winnebago Rialta) and finding parts and service for that teutonic pos was like owning an antique car, something you don't do unless you are mechanically inclined and enjoy working on projects, but really should not be driving  on adventures  to Anytown USA.

After you get the damage to your 2350 all sorted out you will be very happy Cruising with the Blue Oval 2o2
Just Truckin' Around

jimmer

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 5 / 2016
  • Model: 2700
  • IntColor: BLUE/OFF WHITE/MAPLE
  • ExtColor: WHITE OVER BLUE
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 07:25:20 pm »
Hats off again to you,  Volkemon,  for your determination and resourcefulness in figuring out the challenges you had  with your rig.   
The information we all post here adds up to a  resource so many of us can access at any time for our own particular problems when they arise.
Hopefully you have many trouble-free miles once you get things all sorted out !

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2017, 05:49:43 am »

I had a VW before too (Winnebago Rialta) and finding parts and service for that teutonic pos was like owning an antique car, something you don't do unless you are mechanically inclined and enjoy working on projects, but really should not be driving  on adventures  to Anytown USA.

Well... we were VERY close to getting a Rialta, but lucky for us good sense and a lot of research saved us.

Owning an antique car... YEP!  I daily drive a 1971 VW bus 60+ miles each day for work, and it was my 'RV' along with its flat trailer. I do have the 'mechanically inclined' thing working for me. Mrs V has a 1981 VW Westfalia camper also. How we met.  heartshower

We are both happy with the 2350.  2o2

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2017, 10:25:20 am »
Volkemon, You were the right people to rescue that PC.  2o2  Keep up the great work.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2018, 02:56:03 am »
WooooHoooo!!!

Update.

Camper no longer has the 'musties' when one opens the door.  2o2 

Floor rejuvenation is ongoing, and the carpet removal told me a story.

pic 9081 shows the 'Cascading' rust line. I found the water entering the step area was getting in from an unsealed floor/lower skirt seam. since sealed.  (nod)

Pic 9082 shows the carpet that was removed from that area. One can see the progression of the water as it leaked in. Was DRY AS A BONE when removed today.    (cheer) 2o2  (cheer)

I will be pulling out the step filler wood and the paper layers between during a current project. I *HOPE* to find no evidence of water intrusion. YES!!

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2018, 09:28:44 am »
I find it amazing how such a minor water leak at the lower skirt can do so much damage.  Not just water but also mold.  Fortunately it is in a confined area that is non structural and relatively simple to resolve.  This should be a warning to the rest of us.  If water is getting inside somehow.  Don't delay in finding the cause.

Imagine the water damage and mold that often occurs in a typical class C in the cab-over bed area.  You had a small confined area, they have it in a massive area.  I don't know how people deal with the mold while ignoring the problem.

You are doing great there volkemon.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 07:27:17 pm »
I find it amazing how such a minor water leak at the lower skirt can do so much damage.  Not just water but also mold.  Fortunately it is in a confined area that is non structural and relatively simple to resolve.  This should be a warning to the rest of us.  If water is getting inside somehow.  Don't delay in finding the cause.

(nod)

Imagine the water damage and mold that often occurs in a typical class C in the cab-over bed area.  You had a small confined area, they have it in a massive area.  I don't know how people deal with the mold while ignoring the problem.

We looked at a few.

You are doing great there volkemon.

Thank You!   :)(:

UPDATE!!

RE: Step leak.

The coach has been through 3+ inches of measured rainfall since I installed the tattletale paper in the step area. Took that area apart as part of the floor remodel, and it told me a story.

Pic 9105 - our step area. :) Glued the original piece of linoleum on a couple of scraps of OSB (Oriented Strand Board) . I used the white urethane caulking that was used to seal the roof/outside. Tough stuff.

Pic 9106 - trying to peel the OSB from the linoleum. The glue was so strong it tore the OSB apart.  2o2

Pic 9107 - The paper below this layer showed NO signs of water intrusion.  :-D

Pic 9108 - Removed the next level of OSB board (not shown - was dry) The Tattletale paper shows there WAS WATER.  :cool  but not from the outside corner as before. Looked like it came from the center of the coach.

Pic 9109 - the next layer was a bit moist. The small filler piece shows water damage, and is slightly moldy. The paper shows water has indeed made it down here. BUT... still from the center...NOT the outside.

Pic 9110 - Pulled the paper out. The bold red and yellow lines show where the paper was tucked under the edge. The lighter yellow outline shows the water penetration. *ALL* from the centerline of the coach, none from outside.  :beg

I know the cause. We recently got 2 of the 'RTIC' coolers. they have 2 drains, and we did find that one was not tightened. It leaked on the carpet, and soaked down there. VERY happy the paper 'told the tale' and I am confident the rain leak has been solved.  (cheer) (cheer)

The paper also had a minor stain at the rear side... and I know when that happened. I spilled a drink in the step area during the new years rally, and it soaked that far before I had it mopped up. Neat to see the record the paper kept.  2o2  My Grandpa always said 'Paper has a long memory'   (exactly)  Lesson learned here is that I am going to caulk ALL seams. When the inevitable spill happens, it will keep the liquid on the topside, not soaking down. So when that jar of sweet gherkins breaks... we dont smell like pickles forever.  roflol

Thats all for today.  tymote for reading.

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2018, 07:08:16 pm »
Why the fun may NEVER end..  roflol

Started poking around the passenger footwell area this afternoon.. and found moisture.   :beg  Condensate under the step cover, and the carpet damp/moist. Dammit.

9120 shows the areas with water outlined in red.

9119 shows the rusty water drip from inside the A pillar. I was aware of it, and thought it a remnant of the windshield rust leak. Pretty sure it is....

9123 shows the path the rusty water left as it traveled down. Evidently there was water going inboard also and maybe the glue masks the track? There is a floor bolt on the lower left that shows signs of water puddling.

9121 is that bolt. Its seen water.

I have the carpet pulled, and will be driving the coach for the next couple days. Be keeping a close eye on it. Glad i found it now instead of AFTER the new floor install..  (nod)