Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why PC instead of similar priced Class A  (Read 121 times)
Steve

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: New
Model: None
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2014, 01:54:45 pm »

I'll preface this post by saying that this is a highly subjective question and might be difficult to respond to given our very different circumstances.  But, I'll ask anyway in case there are other readers like me looking at PC. 

I'm getting very close to my PC purchase. In fact, our plane trip to Elkhart is being booked this Winter.

My wife asked me a question that gave me pause.  The price we're going to pay for this special order PC comes very close the price of an entry level Class A.  For example, the Tiffin Allegro bunkhouse model, with aggressive negotiations, comes very very close in price.   

I know the reasons towards a PC versus a Class A are varied and highly personal to individual circumstances.  But just to put my money conscious mind at ease, I'll ask the question anyway:  For biggest bang for my family's buck, why should we go PC over a Class A gasser if the initial purchase price is arguably similar?  With the specific example of Tiffin, the quality of construction and longevity are arguably also similar.

For reference:  We are a family of 4 (Mom & Dad w/ 2 young kids), planned use is mostly weekend camping, some day trips, and some trips just my wife and I.  This is our very first RV so our planned RV style may change dramatically from what we envision today versus how we really use it tomorrow.  The main reason I settled on PC is because the size is a happy medium: just big enough for weekend camping yet small enough for day trips, and great for when its just Mom and Dad. But given the price difference of a much larger Class A, I halfway feel buyers remorse already. 

Maybe, I'm just looking for reassurance from you guys. 

Thanks,
Steve

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
OwnPC: Yes
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 02:32:25 pm »

At the risk of lower my ratings, here is my input.

You have two young children.  I feel bunk beds for the kids is a very nice feature.  Any PC with B+ front cap can't accommodate nearly as well.  If PC-USA offered a class C version with a conventional over-the-cab double bed, then I would be changing my position.

So.....

I feel you'd be better off in that 35QBA foot Allegro with bunk beds.  But a 35 foot anything is a monstrosity to me, very hard to get around in.  I personally would consider a new Minnie Winnie 22R at under 24 feet in length, or the 25B at just over 26 feet.

I always wondered why PC-USA doesn't offer a seamless "C" cap version for every model.  Same rig, just a "C" instead of a "B+".  Make it an option like a slide out is today, looking similar to a Winnebago View.  That would appeal to family households.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:46:25 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
skipper

Helpful Rating: 18
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/13
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 04:09:30 pm »

For 2 adults and 2 kids, I too would be looking very closely at the Allegro.  I am size compromised.  I need a unit that will fit under my 10' garage door and the PC fits that bill very nicely.  The bunkhouse Allegro has a lot more room and a whole lot more storage at the same cost and not much difference in mpg.  I have a friend who has the bunkhouse model and is considering a trade.  If you like, I will put you in touch with her.  It is the FRED model.

Mark
Steve

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: No
Model: None
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 04:16:07 pm »

Ron,
The irony of your post is you were the one that originally turned me on to PC. Way back when I first started my RV search about a year ago.

I appreciate your candor Ron - and through our conversations and my reading of your posts, I really appreciate your view point.

On the PC Cab over bunk. I've asked Earl this twice. He indicated twice that Kermit can't accommodate it. I agree with your points on it. It would turn on many potential buyers. For me personally, that one feature would completely erase my hesitation.

Carol

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: July 2014
ModelYear: 2015
IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
ExtColor: Sterling simplified
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 05:42:53 pm »

Steve,

Which PC model are you buying?  

As for reassurances, in general, I adore my non-slide 2351 (solo full-timer with dog).  I find it to be solid and comfy and lovely.  As I walk around campgrounds, mine is among the smallest around, until you get to the Class B vans and then the tent campers.  I love that I can maneuver into many spots that longer, taller units could not.  I love that low bridges and tree branches don't freak me out.  I think those cab-over-beds are nice for kids, for sure, but I believe they come at the expense of a low profile.  

You said this is going to be your first RV.  My question is, is it going to be your family's first experience with camping?  If you have been tent-camping and roughing it, then even a small motor home will be luxurious in comparison.  If you haven't been camping at all much, then, yes, two adults and two children might be a challenge compared to living in your house.  But I'm not sure going an extra few feet in length will solve that.  Also, if you will primarily be using this in fair weather, your children (especially as they get older) might well get a kick out of tent camping on your site while you and your wife enjoy the amenities and comfort of your cabin-on-wheels.  There is also the question of how you like to camp...  Are you outside around the campfire and on lots of walks and stuff?  Or do you enjoy being cozy inside with a couple of TV's and--in some cases!!--a fireplace?

Last note, I spoke to Kermit today re a small leak that I've discovered in my rig.  As others on this forum have experienced before me, the customer service that you get from Phoenix USA is personal and of extraordinary quality.  I don't know how the other company(s) you are considering compare, but I believe this is a really important consideration when buying something so expensive and so likely to have issues crop up as it is bumped and jostled over hundreds and, perhaps, thousands of miles.

Oh, and I am at a campground south of Alexandria, VA for at least the next few weeks.  If you have not seen a PC yet, or even if you have and you'd like to see another, you are welcome to stop by.  You can find my contact info under my profile.

Whatever you decide, I hope you and your family enjoy many miles and many, many wonderful memories in your new rig!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:11:15 pm by Carol » Logged

BuffaloRose

Helpful Rating: 6
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 3/3/2014
ModelYear: 2010
________

Earl & Rose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 07:04:32 pm »

When we began our search to downsize from our 30' class A to a smaller class B, we found that our class A gasser did not have the resale value of the smaller units we were looking at.  Granted there were fewer of the class B's to search among as well.  So perhaps you might consider resale value.  This being your first venture, based on most folks it will not be your last.  We tried tent camping, pop up, travel trailer, 2 class B's and finally the class A before ending up with our 2350 PC.   We think it is perfect for two.  Would NOT travel with anymore than just us.  Finally, if you are "traveling" then class A has great views along the road.  Class B's are ok for viewing sights along the road but class C's are obstructed somewhat by the overhang.

BuffaloRose
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 07:20:16 pm »

.......before ending up with our 2350 PC.   We think it is perfect for two.  Would NOT travel with anymore than just us.
Yep, those are my feelings too, great for the two of us.

We have traveled with our 3 adults kids on a few weekenders.  All works well until bedtime having one of them sleeping inside our 2350.  It is just too tight for that.  We don't have a slide out, maybe less an issue if we did.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 07:27:53 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
David J. Rotelle

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 8/8/15
ModelYear: 2015
IntColor: Desert Sand
ExtColor: Desert Sand
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 10:38:54 pm »

Hello Steve,

We have owned various class A and class C motorhomes over the years. Our first motorhome was a 1997 29' class C Winnebago Minnie Winnie. In 1997 our family was still growing and our children very young. We loved that motorhome and it treated us well over the years, it was a great coach for a growing family. The cab over bunk was great, our children loved sleeping up there. Although we have owned more motorhomes than I would care to mention.......next to our Phoenix our first coach was our favorite. Smile
On one of our first family camping trips to the Williamsburg KOA we took a cute picture of our three daughters in the bunk tucked in for the night. We still have that picture on the wall in our house, that was many years ago. Last month we were blessed with the opportunity to repeat that same trip for the last time as a family before our oldest daughter gets married in February. We had our three daughters pose in the cab over bunk for the same picture, we even had the original picture with us for a reference to get it just right. Smile Because of the size of our Phoenix Cruiser we borrowed a friends 31' class C for our trip.
Some of our best memories as a family are the trips we took with our motorhome. We have had many enjoyable times working together as a family on our dairy farm but nothing could compare to the thrill of piling into our motorhome and heading down the drive for a new adventure!
My thoughts would be to stick with a class C or class B over the class A. I think you will find yourself using the class C much more than a class A. This evening we took our two boys out for dinner and shopping in our Phoenix and had a great time, we wouldn't have done that with our class A.
If you can find a Phoenix that you like that sleeps four I don't think you will have any regrets. They are a great company to work with and they build a great coach.
God bless you as you make your decision and prepare to make memories with your family.
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: