Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Optional Window Awnings  (Read 248 times)
catsaplenty

Helpful Rating: 3
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: New
Model: None
Slide: No
ExtColor: United States
________

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2016, 10:20:08 am »

I am in the fun (but expensive) phase where I debate myself on which options I will order.  I will be FT and will spend most of my time in national land camp areas.  Where I need to use the solar power, I will obviously need to park out of the shade and some parts of the county just dont have any shade available in camp.  I was wondering about the awnings on the windows in the living area on the drivers side. I was hoping to find someone here who has those awnings who will share if they are effective for helping with heat. I found a couple of older threads where questions were asked about these awnings but I dont see that anyone answered about whether they help the heat.   It sounded like the awnings were considered more of an asset back when the windows slid open a way to help keep rain out.   Perhaps they offer too little shade to help since the whole side of the RV will be heating up anyhow.  The thread responses did talk about the cab windows- and for those I do plan on getting the Magna Shades.  I also will be getting the insulated windows.  If I didnt really want the slide out, I would see about them adding a full length power awning on that side too!  I appreciate any information if the optional window awnings help, are they a PITA to work with, etc.  Thanks
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 205
________
OwnPC: Yes
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:53:53 am »

We had them on a class A. They did help a little with the heat but they made it so dark inside we did not use them very much. They also cut the view so much that I had to lean over to see outside. We have had five motorhomes sine that one and none of them got window shades.

Current PC: 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC: 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
jt

________
PurchDate: 05/14
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Pebble
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 01:16:36 pm »

We have had the optional window awning on both of our PC's and on earlier motorhomes and travel trailers. They do help somewhat with keeping the interior cooler. They also block your long distance view. For us, however, the main advantage is privacy in close quarters. They block the view into the coach without the need to close both the window and the curtains for privacy.
HenryJ

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: 7/22/16
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2016
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: graystone
________

All ready for the road

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 02:05:35 pm »

There is indeed a lot to consider with your plans for camping out..We had the window awnings on side windows in our just traded in (for a PC) class A.. they were very nice and we loved them. At the plant we saw one used unit that sold when we were there that had the side window awnings you can open. They do offer shade and privacy. The side "solar" blind that is black does help with the heat coming in. We have had our PC now 1 month and that was an easy determination right off when we were camping near the plant. We did get the awning and are pleased with its cover however it is difficult to open.. like you need to tip over that way with your set up so it comes out like it should. May need some assist (don't get your fingers pinched) getting it out and deployed. We have the insulated windows.. they look very nice but still heat comes in. Did not see if individual window awnings were available on these. Might need an outside vendor for that one. We have 3 slides and  the awning will be a nice shade when we are off with the group camping. We can offer shady spot for sharing a tall tale or a tall drink. best wishes on your adventure... Wish the shower water supply inlet was taller in place..in the shower. it is low and annoying... we did ask for and got single handle faucets and love those.  Amazing what you need to think of. I suggested Earl have a list.. he thought it might create some confusion... but I think it might solve a lot of Oh I Wish I had that  after the fact.
On the road home had a lot of comments when we stopped for fuel... lot of people liked the size.
We do too. Looking forward to next trip.  Regards, Patricia

Patricia & Jim
He's in charge I just drive
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 8
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 05:37:58 pm »

I am in the fun (but expensive) phase where I debate myself on which options I will order.  I will be FT and will spend most of my time in national land camp areas.  Where I need to use the solar power, I will obviously need to park out of the shade and some parts of the county just dont have any shade available in camp.  I was wondering about the awnings on the windows in the living area on the drivers side. I was hoping to find someone here who has those awnings who will share if they are effective for helping with heat. I found a couple of older threads where questions were asked about these awnings but I dont see that anyone answered about whether they help the heat.   It sounded like the awnings were considered more of an asset back when the windows slid open a way to help keep rain out.   Perhaps they offer too little shade to help since the whole side of the RV will be heating up anyhow.  The thread responses did talk about the cab windows- and for those I do plan on getting the Magna Shades.  I also will be getting the insulated windows.  If I didnt really want the slide out, I would see about them adding a full length power awning on that side too!  I appreciate any information if the optional window awnings help, are they a PITA to work with, etc.  Thanks
I have the awnings and they do keep the sun out and provide also some privacy and some rain protection unless it really blows and pours.  I really like mine and glad I got them.
Carol

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: July 2014
ModelYear: 2015
IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
ExtColor: Sterling simplified
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 05:46:15 pm »

Cats--
I love my passenger side awning over the dinette.  I agree with the above posters about its additional benefit of providing privacy when in close quarters.  As to cutting down on heat, when you are battling the sunshine on a blazing hot day, every bit helps, and that solid awning will totally block the sun.  As to your question regarding ease of use, I haven't had any problems.  If you are on the short side, though, I imagine you might need a footstool or something that will lengthen your reach so you can grab the tab and pull it down.
Enjoy your planning!
Carol

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 212
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Green&Gray Cherry
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 07:57:20 pm »

We have the driver side dinette window shade, the one window most common in the 2100 to 2552 slide out with couch.  It is shown here in the stored position.

I like it a lot.  I wished we had also gotten the matching one for the bathroom on the same side for heat & privacy.  Because our windows are the older slide-sideways design, the shades naturally offer needed rain protection.  As others mentioned, the drawbacks are that they block the view and darken the interior.  But that is no issue in the bathroom with a skylight.  I don't know how new shades are today, but the strap on our 9 year old shade has multiple hoops on it to adjust to some degree, how low it goes.  The difference between the least to the most is not much, but is something.

For the passenger side as shown, when needed I open our older design box awning a little to supply shade on that side of the rig, without the full awning setup.  How much is limited to the natural sag before interfering with the entry door.  It offers fast easy shade and rain protection.  Unlike most of you today with your luxury motorized awnings, opening our older box awning further does get more involved when the poles need to come out.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:23:24 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron & Irene Dittmer, 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
randallandchris

Helpful Rating: 25
________
PurchDate: June 2015
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2015
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 10:58:54 pm »

Best $200 spent.  Absolutely get one for large driver side windows.  I would ask if it could be wider than window by a foot on each end as we still get some bright sunlight at times. 
catsaplenty

________
OwnPC: No
Model: None
ExtColor: United States
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 09:28:17 am »

WOW - thanks to all of you for your thoughts! Since I had not seen these in action, I had not thought about how much of the view it might block.  But for the sake of the animals and I, I think keeping the heat down will trump the view.  The dogs and I can go for a walk for more views but the cat will be stuck in the RV.  And I like the thought about having them extend on beyond the windows.  It is always great that you folks are willing to share so the new owners can do an better job of getting all the tweaks possible to make our RVs even nicer.  Adding 3 awnings to the list of items I need.
ron-n-toni

Helpful Rating: 13
________
PurchDate: 12/14/2015
ModelYear: 2016
IntColor: toast
ExtColor: toast
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 04:01:31 pm »

We have the awning on the slide window and power patio awning. We also have double pane windows. And we had magna-shades installed on the windshield and chassis door windows. It does made a big difference on the inside temp without having to run the generator and a/c for Annie Mae the Beagle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: