Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tire and battery advice  (Read 150 times)
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2014, 03:39:47 pm »

Well had 2010 2551 mh winterized and asked my RV service to check on my tires.  As I see it they were mfg. 0808 so they are six yrs old. He said they show very slight dry rot and will pass inspection in the spring.  They have plenty of tread and seem ok but I am thinking that it is time to get new tires.  I know there has been many discussions on this topic and really up to the individual to make the decision on what to do.    So for safety sake do you think it is time to get new and would like to get Michelin's and my rv service said they can get them. Of course my tires were not on the recall as mentioned in other forum discussions.
The next thing is coach batteries and they are the original ones. They are so hard to read the water level and was wondering if they are replaced as to what is a better battery.  My MH will be stored in Pole Barn and I have been told you can leave it plugged in all the time to keep the batteries charged but afraid they could be overcharged.  I keep little nite lites on to use some of the power but not sure what is right.  Any suggestions on the questions??? 
This forum has always been so helpful.
So sorry I missed the reunion. Looking forward to next year. Already in the calendar.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 12:27:52 am »

Our rig is a 2007 model year with tires dated spring of 2007.  Like you, we keep our rig indoors away from sunlight but I have no plan anytime soon to replace the tires.  Given your rig is a 2551, it is on the lighter side of motor homes so there is less tire pressure and less weight on the tires so the demand on them is less.  I would think you would be fine getting one more year from them and evaluate again one year from next spring.

Regarding batteries, assumed no winter camping plans, I would charge them and bring them into your house out from the extreme cold.  The same for the chassis battery.  Fill your main fuel tank up, blow out all water lines, drain all four water tanks, place numerous rodent traps around inside and abandon the rig until preparing for your first trip next year.

Next spring, I plan to replace our 5 year old 12V Walmart batteries with 6V Duracell batteries from Sam's Club.  I did some measuring and determined that my slide out battery tray will need to be replaced with a simple sheet of steel to get adequate clearance because the 6V batteries are so much taller.  The sheet steel will have angle iron screwed to it to cradle the batteries so they don't move around on the large surface.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:29:32 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
David J. Rotelle

________
PurchDate: 8/8/15
ModelYear: 2015
IntColor: Desert Sand
ExtColor: Desert Sand
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:51:31 am »

Yesterday I saw a Phoenix Cruiser here in Honey Brook Pa that looked like it could have been a 2010 Beige 2551........just curious if it happened to be you?? My wife said she saw a similar coach last week at our bank.

Dave
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:52:50 pm »

Our rig is a 2007 model year with tires dated spring of 2007.  Like you, we keep our rig indoors away from sunlight but I have no plan anytime soon to replace the tires.  Given your rig is a 2551, it is on the lighter side of motor homes so there is less tire pressure and less weight on the tires so the demand on them is less.  I would think you would be fine getting one more year from them and evaluate again one year from next spring.

Regarding batteries, assumed no winter camping plans, I would charge them and bring them into your house out from the extreme cold.  The same for the chassis battery.  Fill your main fuel tank up, blow out all water lines, drain all four water tanks, place numerous rodent traps around inside and abandon the rig until preparing for your first trip next year.

Next spring, I plan to replace our 5 year old 12V Walmart batteries with 6V Duracell batteries from Sam's Club.  I did some measuring and determined that my slide out battery tray will need to be replaced with a simple sheet of steel to get adequate clearance because the 6V batteries are so much taller.  The sheet steel will have angle iron screwed to it to cradle the batteries so they don't move around on the large surface.
Thanks for the tips.  My Pole barn doesn't get below freezing and always kept mh there and never had any problems with the batteries. I would like to get another year on the tires.
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 03:54:37 pm »

Yesterday I saw a Phoenix Cruiser here in Honey Brook Pa that looked like it could have been a 2010 Beige 2551........just curious if it happened to be you?? My wife said she saw a similar coach last week at our bank.

Dave
Yes it was me. I was at Millers RV for winterizing.  Last week I was camping with RVWomen at York Fairgrounds and believe it or not there were two other Phoenix cruisers.   Something you don't always see.
Carol

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: July 2014
ModelYear: 2015
Slide: No
IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
ExtColor: Sterling simplified
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 04:57:56 pm »

Freckles--I was in that part of PA at the end of Sept and met a couple of the ladies from that group at the small campground I was staying at.  If I had taken them up on their invitation to attend the rally, there would have been FOUR PCs there.  Maybe next year!
Carol
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:21:46 pm »

Freckles--I was in that part of PA at the end of Sept and met a couple of the ladies from that group at the small campground I was staying at.  If I had taken them up on their invitation to attend the rally, there would have been FOUR PCs there.  Maybe next year!
Carol
Their next convention is October 2015 in Shawnee Oklahoma.   there are many chapters all over the US and I'M with Mid-Atlantic Chapter and have one more trip November 7th in Lancaster for the weekend at the Old Mill Stream Campground. It is their annual Thanksgiving feast.   After that the MH goes to bed until March.
They have a Solo's chapter which I am considering joining next season.   Most are widows like me and travel solo.   Very Friendly group like Cruisers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: