Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bilstein Shocks  (Read 150 times)
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 7
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2016, 04:00:23 pm »

There has been many discussions on these Bilstein Shocks on the forum and recently visited my Camping World for other items.  I stopped by the service/parts desk and inquire about them and what they would cost for my 2010 2551 PC.  Total investment would be approximately be $450 for two rear shocks installed.   Need some input from the forum if anyone has had CW purchase from them and had them installed by them.  Is there anything else I need to know.  Motor home rides okay on nice flat roads but on washboard country roads it finds the bumps and all shakes.  Don't know what Phoenix Cruiser original shocks are used.
       I  am second owner and don't know past history of my PC.   Other than the shocks, Only thing I just found out is that the air filter was changed in 2009 and it was real dirty and will be changing it out this weekend.  Oil filter and oil was changed this April along with the oil in generator. So is it worth changing the shocks on the rear?
   Going to FMCA rally in Massachusetts beginning of August and hope all goes well. Any input is appreciated as always. Cheer
ragoodsp
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 68
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 08:45:28 pm »

Frecklestweety...I am not a big fan of CW and find that they run high from the price perspective but to be honest I do not think $450 is out of line.  If you have the dollars I would invest in front shocks as well, the weight on the front end of the E-450 takes its toll on the front end.  I might suggest you all so check all other fluid change schedules....I just changed all of my fluids on my 2012...... transmission, radiator, and rear end simply because of the time elapsed and  not mileage (14,000). My vehicle sits out all winter so temperature change causes moisture build up and lubricant fatigue.  best of luck
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 397
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 08:57:06 pm »

Frecklestweety

We had our rear shocks replaced by our local CW on our 2008 2350.  At the time they were running a special on the installation, it was buy two shocks and get installation free on one of them, it was a very good price.  We were very pleased with the work that our local CW did purchasing and installing the Bilstein shocks.

On our 2012 2551 we had all four shocks replaced by a local frame shop.  The front shocks (especially the front passenger shock) were in need of replacement at about 22,500 mileage. 

We were very pleased with the ride on both vehicles after the shocks were changed.

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 201
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 07:30:20 am »

One of the first things I do when I get a new motorhome is to have Bilstein HD shocks installed on all four corners. I order them from eshock.com and take them to my local truck and tire shop (Rice Tire) in Frederick, Md. For HD shocks eshock wants $89 each or all four for $356. Comfort are $83 each or $332 for all four. Rice charges me about $25 each or $100 for all four to install them. I am getting all four for what CW wants for two.

You might want to call where you get your tires and ask them what they charge to install shocks if you bring them in and what they want for them if they get them for you.

Current PC: 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC: 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 201
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Green&Gray Cherry
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 02:09:33 pm »

Hi freeklestweety,

I completely agree with Tom Hanlon.  If you buy the shocks yourself from the cheapest supplier you find, and have them installed locally, you will save yourself a pile of money.  I also agree you would benefit so much more by replacing all 4 shocks, not just the two rears.

One other suggestion.  If you are okay with spending a lot more money, consider the Koni-FSD shocks.  They have a patented internal valve not found in any other shock absorber.  The benefit is that the shock is soft for minor road flaws, but immediately becomes heavy duty when conditions call for it.  The patented valve is simple & reliable, not complex or susceptible to issues.  It is inside the shock and works off the severity of sudden axle movement.  I understand that it helps a lot to address the jolting from expansion joints in the pavement.  I don't have Koni-FSD shocks because back in 2007 when I had our suspension issues addressed, they were not available for the E350/E450, just for larger truck chassis rigs and huge buses.  About 3 years ago Koni started producing them for the E-Series chassis.  The technology has been around for a long time.  It is proven technology.  When it is time to replace our Heavy Duty Koni shocks, I am buying the Koni-FSDs which are nearly the same cost as a new set of tires.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:11:53 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron & Irene Dittmer, 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 7
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 09:27:38 pm »

One of the first things I do when I get a new motorhome is to have Bilstein HD shocks installed on all four corners. I order them from eshock.com and take them to my local truck and tire shop (Rice Tire) in Frederick, Md. For HD shocks eshock wants $89 each or all four for $356. Comfort are $83 each or $332 for all four. Rice charges me about $25 each or $100 for all four to install them. I am getting all four for what CW wants for two.

You might want to call where you get your tires and ask them what they charge to install shocks if you bring them in and what they want for them if they get them for you.
thanks for the inpu it . I think I will buy them and have my local service  install them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: