Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TOWING WITH OUR SPRINTER 2350  (Read 204 times)
Dale and Cindy

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July 2014
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2015
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Graystone
ExtColor: Full Body Paint - Graystone
________

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2015, 07:58:01 pm »

Hello - We love our 2015 PC 2350 Sprinter, and we will eventually be towing our 3,197 pound, manual transmission 2011 Hyundai Tucson.  But so far we have never towed any vehicle behind our Sprinter. 

I would like to hear from other Sprinter 2350 owners about their experiences with towing.  How does the Sprinter handle towing?  Basically, anything you can tell us about how the Sprinter performs while towing would be helpful.

Thank you,

Cindy & Dale
bobojay

Helpful Rating: 17
________
OwnPC: No
Model: None
Slide: No
IntColor: Desert Sand-Hickory
ExtColor: Desert Sand-Lower
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 11:09:25 am »

Not many Sprinter PC owners on here, but I can tell you after owning 2 Sprinters, an '08 and a '13, not PC's, that you are pushing the limits there on the weight. Be sure you have supplemental braking not just because of some state laws, but because the Sprinter's brakes are just good enough as it is. Not much leeway there.
Plan on no longer than 40k miles transmission fluid/filter changes, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to investigate a supplemental transmission fluid cooler. Remember you've only got a 3yr/36k warranty on that transmission, and you're talking over $4k to repair/replace that unit. (unless you've bought an extended warranty)
The NAG-1 transmission you have is not known for being very "heavy duty" if you will. I would shift up & down manually if I towed something that heavy with my Sprinter.
If you tow a lot, expect frequent, 50k, maybe sooner, brake replacements, probably the rears believe it or not.

Expect about a 1-2 mpg reduction in fuel mileage towing on the flatlands.

Hope this helps....

Bob & Sharon
Current: 2013 Winnebago ERA Class B Sprinter Van
Future: 2100 special, 2350, ?? on a hopefully Ford Transit 350 or 450
Dale and Cindy

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:31:07 pm »

Thank you Bobojay - Yes, your response helps. . . . . but now I'm concerned.  We were told that the Sprinter could tow up to 5,000 lbs, so I'm not sure why you said that our Tucson was pushing the limit.  Anyway, I am thankful for all you insight.

Cindy and Dale
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 209
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 05:50:19 pm »

The hitch on the back will state it's max weight. That is not to say the motorhome can tow that much. Take the weight of a fully loaded motorhome and subtract that from the gross vehicle weight to see what you can tow. The owners manual should help also.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
bobojay

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 08:57:55 pm »

Yes it will tow 5k, I wouldn't though, but like I said, the transmission and brakes are the weak spots in the chassis. Supplemental braking will take care of the brake issue to a point. The trans should be good with extra cooling and the prompt fluid changes, including the torque converter draining.
No issues with that diesel engine or the differential.....

Bob & Sharon
ragoodsp
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 09:30:51 am »

Having had a non-PC Sprinter based coach (Monaco) I would have to say I would be extremely hesitant about towing a 3,000 plus pound vehicle behind a Sprinter. I towed my 4300 lb Jeep Liberty once and that was enough for me, at times I think the Jeep was towing the Sprinter!  The hitch may be rated to tow 5,000 lbs but that does not really mean the rest of the chassis can handle that kind of weight.  Like other posters have stated the weak link is in fact the transmission, the 3.0L is one tough bird!  Sorry to be negative but just my opinion.   Thanks, Ron
bobojay

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 11:50:08 am »

Most of the 20 or so Sprinter RV owners I know, both class C & B, if they tow, which is very few of them, have Chevy Sonics, or Honds Fits as toads.
We've had this discussion at many rallies, and most question a reason to tow at all when you own a Sprinter RV. They can virtually go and park anywhere in regular parking spaces, (2 lengthwise), except in crowded metropolitan areas of course.
And most at campgrounds don't hook up except to electric, so if needed to leave, all you do is unplug, stow the cord and go. After all, that's what the tanks and water pump are for....

But that's my feelings because we tour. Don't stay at any one place for more than a couple days or so.

Bob & Sharon
Dale and Cindy

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 09:12:16 pm »

You have a very good point Bobojay.  Dale and I have done a lot of "touring" type travel, without a toad, since we bought our PC last October.  We currently have almost 8,000 miles on our PC 2350.  I think I would be perfectly happy never towing again.  We used to tow a 35' fifth wheel and I hated towing. . . . . . . But, Dale and I are retired now and we want to escape the St. Louis winters.  We plan on going to warm climates and staying put for three our four months at a time, so Dale wanted a vehicle to run around in while the PC stays hooked up.  I don't think we will tow for every situation, but for our "Winter Escapes" we'd like an extra vehicle.

Thanks again for you responses.

Cindy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: