Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dometic Thermostat  (Read 257 times)
Sandyc

Helpful Rating: 8
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 10/16
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Light Brown
ExtColor: Two tone brown
________

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2016, 08:05:18 pm »

My Dometic Thermostat shows fan,cool,furnace, & heat strip. For some reason I can't get the heat strip (green led) to light up or work. When I rotate it down to heat strip it goes directly on/off . What am I doing wrong? I do what the instructions tell me. Is their a trick to this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sandy
KB9OMH

Helpful Rating: 35
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 3/26/13
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 08:31:56 pm »

Sandy, My guess is the your AC unit doesn't have a heat strip in it. You will need to look at your model number and check and see if it came with it,

Jim
Sandyc

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 08:48:56 pm »

Sandy, My guess is the your AC unit doesn't have a heat strip in it. You will need to look at your model number and check and see if it came with it,

Jim

You might be right. I take it the model number is on the AC unit? Can I see it from inside or climb up to see it.
KB9OMH

Helpful Rating: 35
________
PurchDate: 3/26/13
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 10:20:27 pm »

Sandy,  Check you manual that came with your unit. I'm not sure where the model number is

Jim
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 204
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 08:40:33 am »

Sandy, if you remove the filters from the inside and look up into the A/C unit, you  will see four Philips head screws, one on each corner. Remove the two rear ones and peek into the rear of the A/C. You should see a U shaped coil with fins on it. That is the heating element. If you see a heating element you need to call the factory and talk to them. If don't see one,  call them and ask why you don't have one.

Current PC: 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC: 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
fandj

Helpful Rating: 21
________
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2016
IntColor: Graystone
ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 10:48:14 am »

Sandy,
I know you are trying to sort out why the heating elements in your AC do not work but we found out in a previous camper a portable electric heater is capable of putting out the same amount of heat as the AC heating coils.  The small portable heaters are typically much quieter and allow you to move the heat to where you need it most.  These are relatively cheap and available from many sources including Walmart.  We have a heat pump instead of AC heating elements in our PC but typically use the portable electric heaters for the reasons mentioned above.  Many of the portable units have a rudimentary thermostat to allow reasonable temperature control.

One of these could get you heat now and allow you to determine why your AC heating coils are not working, then you could determine which method you prefer.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 222
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Green&Gray Cherry
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 04:37:21 pm »

Sandy,
I know you are trying to sort out why the heating elements in your AC do not work but we found out in a previous camper a portable electric heater is capable of putting out the same amount of heat as the AC heating coils.  The small portable heaters are typically much quieter and allow you to move the heat to where you need it most.  These are relatively cheap and available from many sources including Walmart.
I totally agree.  Heat from below, placed in front of where the cold comes in from worst which is the cab area, does a much better job and so quietly too.

Still, it would be nice to have the roof heater working, assuming you have one.  If you don't have one, I don't think you are missing much at all.  As I recall, our heat strip was optional.  Back in 2007, I think we paid extra for it, but it might have been part of the "Premium Convenience Package" back then.

Ron & Irene Dittmer, 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
David Rotelle

Helpful Rating: 5
________
PurchDate: 3-16
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2016
IntColor: Toast
ExtColor: Toast
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:09:47 am »

Hello Sandy,

We use a small space heater as supplemental heat. It's very quiet and does a good job keeping the living area warm.
Last night it was snowing with the outside temp around freezing and it was nice and warm in our 2910.

Sandyc

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:08:12 am »

Solved my problem. Talked with PC this morning. My unit, which I purchased in Oct., was up-graded to a 15K unit. At that time only 13.5K units had heat strips. I'm good with that. A small ceramic heater will be just fine, as others have mentioned. Many thanks for your help and responses.
Sandy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: