Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I Wish I Had This On My 2350  (Read 1244 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2010, 11:26:02 pm »

I sent an email to Kermit, the owner of Phoenix USA.  Here it is.

Hi Kermit,

Here is something cheap and easy to include on every brand new Phoenix Cruiser.  It would be great to have, and as far as I know, no other class-C manufactures offer it.

Add 3 or more porch lights, evenly spaced across that same side of the motor home.  Place the extra 3 on their own switch.  If it's too bright, then simply replace the bulbs with lower wattage ones.  I wished our 2350 had 4 porch lights evenly spaced across that entire side of the motor home, spread out to control shadowing.  Placed just below the awning too.....as high as possible.  When anyone blocks a single light source, the shadow is detrimental.  But with light coming from 4 sources, it would be so much less an issue.  It would also be nice to have a well lit campsite when desired.  Cost of the 3 extra lights and one extra switch is cheap enough that when added to MSRP, nobody would care of the slight price increase, but they would definitely appreciate the extra lights.  You would have one more great feature that nobody else is doing.

Ron Dittmer

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
NLK

Helpful Rating: 15
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: August 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry / Gray
ExtColor: Gray full paint
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 10:07:38 am »

I would definitely like having the 3 lights ... especially with a separate switch.  Perfect under the awning.  This is something that I would not mind paying extra for.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 171
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 03:28:01 pm »

I am sorry but I would hate to see these on any camper, Motorhome or trailer. The large scare lights on some of the larger 5th wheels and campers are bad enough. When some people go to bed, they leave their lights on, with little reguard for where they are shinning or into the rig next to them. I have had to go to bed wishing the sun would come up and it would get darker in my motorhome. Sorry to disagree with you wanting all these lights. The new LED lights worry me as they are much brighter than the old bulbs. If you need more light in the evenings, you can always buy some patio lights or a rope light. Please unplug them when you go in for the night.

I am a country boy and the only light around here at night was made by God himself, the moon and stars. When I go camping I would prefer only his light.

What I would like to see is a light near the hookups that I can turn on from inside for when I am hooking/unhooking in the dark. It does not need to be a big brite light, just something so I can find the hookups.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:34:21 am by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:46:01 pm »

Way to go Tom!  A could not agree more. I have had to buy that that sun reflective window shade stuff and cut it out to match our window dimensions.  When those idiots that forget to turn off their lights go to bed, I just swear a bit and put up my window cut outs.  It has gotten much worse since campground owners have made the spots tighter just to get a few more campers squeezed in...... shrug

DJM

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
rockrat

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: April, 2010
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: umbra
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:29:48 am »

Boy, that porch light sure is a controversial subject. I guess it has its pros and cons. To each his own.

To switch to another wish subject. Before we put in our order for the new PC, I requested Kermit to install  a outside propane outlet on the passenger side of the RV and he said no-can-do. I think that is high on my wish list.

Donald

2010 2350 with slideout
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 05:48:16 pm »

Don, rockrat,

I too am quite surprised about the contraversey over porch lights.  I think their points should have been more in regards to campground edicate, falling in to the category with barking dogs, loud music, and generator usage.  If I were special ordering a new PC for myself a second time, I would request more porch lights controlled with a separate switch for extra lighting when needed.

I like our porch light for the sani-con system, so I could see the desire for a light by the propane tank too.  But given the potential for spark if turning on the light while filling the tank, that would be a safety hazzard the factory is avoiding.  It could even be a regulatory thing.

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 171
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 07:35:56 am »

Ron, I totally agree with you about leaving the lights on is in the category of campground edicate. I will not ask that Kermit add barking dogs, loud music and generator noise or three times the amount of light that is already on most motorhomes.

Also I wonder about where you came up with putting a light by the propane tank? I was talking about a light that would light up the hookups. My Winniebago had one that was mounted high up on the side that lite up the hookups on the post and the area I was working in. If I am just stopping late at night, I do not hookup the sani-con or even open the compartment, which is where the light is hidden, but I do hookup the electric and the water. I try to do just the minium as to keep the noise down.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 08:16:23 am »

I snoozed at the keyboard.  It was rockrat asking for a propane "outlet" on the passenger side.  Not a work light by the propane tank.

Tom, I like your idea of having a porch light on the driver side to help with hooking up or unhooking the RV facilities in the dark.

Now that I think about it, I find myself in the dark way too often, messing with the tow vehicle while holding a flashlight.  I would appreciate a "down light" in the back there with a switch mounted on the ceiling inside the rear compartment or in the outdoor storage compartment.  The chassis backup lights don't shine down on the hitch area.  That is something I could add myself, nonevasively.  I will be calling the factory to purchase one porch light and switch.

billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 11:57:56 pm »

I think the 3 on one side is a god idea, we have one and I installed a motion light. Maybe they could be installed as a motion set up. I to have nit wits along side at times but thats staying in a park. We've ha loud noise, drunks, lights, smoky camp fires, etc, etc, etc. But thats camping.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 12:57:22 pm »

I bought a few extra porch lights, and switches, but after examination of installation, I had second thoughts on extra porch lights and rear facing lighting.  It seems too difficult to install without the installation looking ugly.

I since have bought LED lights from a supplier on eBay.  The 15 LEDs string seems a better light fixture for providing down-light for when hitching up and unhitching in the dark.  I'll see how this goes.  It seems the LED string could be mounted under the rear license plate, a very clean installation with easy access from behind for wiring without making a mess of it.
Here is the sellers eBay store:  http://stores.ebay.com/R-and-P-Carriages-Trailer-Sales
Here is the LED string.  I got it and it seems well made for the application.  Actually I bought two to get free shipping, making the second one much cheaper.

aimee
Administrator
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 60
________
Model: 2100
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 09:47:51 am »

I like the looks of that a lot. I am a big fan of well-lighted workspaces, and think this would be great for hitching/unhitching.

Aimee, Webmistress
wenzOmatic

Helpful Rating: 0
________
PurchDate: March 2010
Model: 2400 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 09:05:46 pm »

Hi,
Has anyone replaced the electric air bed with something like the Rest Easy multi-position lounge offered in other rigs?  It also has a built in ottoman and would be nice to lay back and watch TV before going to bed...

I wonder if Kermit could retro fit our cruiser or if he has ever put one in a custom order?  shrug

Mike Wenzel, 2400 Owner
Oklahoma City

Mike Wenzel
Oklahoma City
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: