Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tire Pressure  (Read 1421 times)
rockrat

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: April, 2010
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: umbra
________

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2010, 08:50:04 pm »

I noticed that in earlier topic, some of you had been taking your PC to get weigh in. I am just wondering if you have made any significant change in the tire air pressure because of the weight difference. On my 2350, I notice the sticker by my driver side door, they recommend putting in 75 lbs pressure on the front tire and 65 lbs on the back tire.

Also I am seriously thinking of installing a TPMS on my PC, just wonder if anybody got a preference on certain brand. I am thinking of getting a new Honda CRV as my toad. I notice that TPMS is a standard on the new CRV. Does anybody know if there is anyway that one can get a readout of the CRV tire pressure without putting some extra kind of remote sensor on it? Any input on related mattes is appreciated.

Donald

2010 2350 with slideout
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 11:10:52 pm »

The shop that did all my suspension work recommend for my 2007 2350.....
65psi in front
60psi in rear

I tried that which seemed 5psi too liitle based on the look of the tires.  So I do
70psi front
65psi rear

Less pressure makes for a softer the ride, so you don't want to go higher than you have to.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 11:30:53 pm »

I have tpms on a pickup and the car I tow and am seriously considering having the tpms sensors removed and conventional stems put in.  False signaling, inability to rotate the spares in (even with matching wheels) without a major swapping around of sensors (at a tire store), interference are all reasons that the technology doesn't work well for me.  I like and buy 4wd and awd vehicles and not rotating the spare can cause transmission damage in short order by having a tire substantially different in circumference (as little as 1/16 - 1/8 inch difference in diameter I have been told) when you have to use the spare; in some cases manufacturers have not thought out the tpms systems well.  Both of my vehicles do not allow the use of 5 sensors since there is no way to activate the spare sensor.  For the moment black tape over the light works and reminds me to check pressures every fill up, as I have gone to a 5 tire rotation schedule.  I bought add on tpms for the MH and they are still in the cabinet and probably will never get installed (my contribution to the economy I guess).
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:52:08 am »

My only experience with tpms (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) is with my 03 Corvette which has no spare......but has runflat tires.  I appreciate tpms for that application.

But with my PC and tow vehicle, I have no issue checking pressure just before and once during a trip.  Impact inspection done on the dualies more often.  My tire inspections are usually done when filling that huge Ford E350 gas tank because there is so much time to kill.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:10:48 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 09:13:39 am »

I tend to be sloppier than most of you, letting my mechanic check tires before trips.  While on the road I impact test my tires too using a tire whacker from Duluth Trading.  The URL is:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/departments/truck-car/safety-car-accessories/18TK.aspx?feature=product_7
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:36:54 am »

My Tire-Billy is in the pocket of the Driver's side door but I don't use it to check the tires.
I do that with a good pressure gage before a trip, sometimes while between stops and every morning before resuming travel or touring.

I've been running 62 to 65 PSI on all tires and it's been working fine so far.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 12:13:06 pm »

Those tire impact clubs are sold at every truck stop.  I always wondered if I should buy one for tire inspection and.......a defensive instrument.

lghjr
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 04:08:05 pm »

Some jurisdictions consider a "tire billy" to be an offensive weapon, others a concealed weapon, some, like Oklahoma have state statues banning them, although I would bet circumstances would have more effect than just a random "find".

Mine fell out on the pavement during a traffic stop for speeding, years ago, and the "nice policeman" just shook his head and let me put it back under the seat. 
Of course this was in a known Oklahoma speed trap town (Lahoma, OK) and they were more interested in immediate revenue, than what they would loose by carting me off to the county seat thereby loosing time on the street writing tickets, since it is a state violation not local. 
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
PurchDate: 09/2011
ModelYear: 2012
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 10:01:41 pm »

I do not have tpms on my mh. I use a digital tire monitor and check continuously. As Ron said, filling that thing up especially with the 75 dollar automatic shutoffs on the pumps take forever.   Good time to stretch legs and check pressure.  My wife's BMW has one of those tpms systems and what a pain in the butt.  It goes off a lot and after the tires are changed it really does silly things.  That car has run flats so I do pay attention to the air on those tires. I have long wondered how to use a tire billy and what it does?

DJM

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 08:09:46 am »

DJM, the billy club/bat is used by hitting the top of the tire on the tread. You listen for the sound. If it is hollow sounding, the tire has air. If you hear a thud, the tire does not have air. I can use my knuckles to hit the tire and hear the sound. IMHO one must be very luckey to test it between when the tire is going low and the tire is flat.    I still knock them at each stop during my pre-departure walk around.

In the forty plus years of camping and four years selling RVs, I have only heard of one motorhome that had a flat and that was because he had 12 year old tires. The tire blew on him. He had checked the tires before starting out that day. The tread you see on the highways is from truck tires that have been retreaded and they can come apart under heavy loads and low presure. The tires today on these motorhomes are really very good. About the only way to hurt them is to run over something sharp and puncture it. Trailer tires are not quite as strong. Buses, the big desiel pusher motorhomes and some of the gas powered class A motorhomes with the 22.5 inch tires do not come from the manufacture with a spare tire.

When was the last time you heard of or had a tire problem?  thinking

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
lghjr
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 01:46:26 pm »

Couple of motorhomes ago and in the early 90's I got caught in the Michelin fiasco that irrc took out 4-5 of 7 tires.  When I finally put steel/steel radials replacements on; no more trouble. 

Just recently (last trip) blew a tire on the toad (while being towed - exciting).  Separated at the overlap of the belts. I suspect that the two belts overlap were not supposed to be lined up as they were and that probably was the cause.
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
PurchDate: 09/2011
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 09:13:06 pm »

Tom;

Thanks for the info.  Twenty plus years of rv's and mh's and I have never had a tire problem. I do replace them often, so that I don't experience that. 

exactly!

DJM

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 08:33:47 pm »

I like that "bill club", billy

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 11:23:47 pm »

I finally got around to reading some of the comments posted while I was in Europe, and wanted to make one comment about why a tire might be flat other than old age or road hazard.  If you have the nice stainless steel wrapped extensions the Phoenix puts on, or something cheaper, they are the first things to check if your tire appears low.  I had one slowly going down and my mechanic retightened all of them solving the problem.  He and my previous mechanic both told me that the extensions are the most common problem in tire leaks.  Might be something you want to check on a regular basis.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: