Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2552 vs. 2350 Roadability  (Read 1411 times)
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 60
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2010, 01:10:24 am »

My trip East to pick up the new 2552S was through a weather window of opportunity.  Basically North Idaho to the Factory and return.  Had some surface ice in Montana on the way over and basically clear roads on the return. On my 2350 trade I had added heavy duty anti-sway bars and a rear trac bar.  The 2552 was stock from the factory.  There was a lot of wind coming and going, both leading, following and crosswinds.  Experienced no handling problems with either vehicle.  At this point I will do more evaluating before seeing a need to add anti-sway bars to the new unit.  I will add one of the after market steering stabilizers as the buffeting from large vehicles is annoying.  May also add a trac bar to tighten up the frame to chassis.  Stability of the 2552 is greatly improved over the 2350 by moving the fresh water tank from the very rear of the 2350 to basically over the rear axle on the 2552.  That eliminates a large pendulum affect with sloshing water.  The more weight you can place onto or forward of the rear axle, the better your stability and handling. I found the 2552 was better handling, a smoother ride and quieter over our 2350.  One area on the 2350 we found that created annoying rattles was the dinette table.  To eliminate some of this we would put the table down and move the cushions to the bed position.  One negative on the 2552 over the 2350 is with the longer wheelbase your turning radius increases so you have to be more aware of your room to manuever, especially in gas stations and parking lots.  But, that negative is also a big positive for roadability.  With a shorter wheelbase you get a choppier ride over pavement irregularities, whereas a longer wheelbase provides a much smoother ride and this was my experience on the way home. Also, the additional weight of the 2552S adds to the smoother ride.   I did find in comparing fuel mileage for the round trip to be similar.  Of course the 450 engine is not "broke in", but I did not see a big variation in the comparison fuel consumption. Will have to do more on this in the future, knowing what I was getting on the 2350. 
    These are my personal observations and opinions.
    Bob
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 07:10:30 am »

Bob, thanks for the report on ride and fuel milage. I had my 2350 built on the F450 in order to get the larger/heavier duty suspenion. The one thing I have done is to put HD bilstein shocks on it. Boy did that really help the handling, but the ride is just a little harsher on the bumps.

I just figured out this morning that in my old class A Winnie with the 70 gal tank at 6.5 mpg I could go 455 miles. The PC with the 55 gal tank at 9 mpg will go 495 miles, or 40 miles farther between fill ups. I normally try to fill up when the tank get between 1/4 and 1/2. Several years ago I was crossing northern Montana and was not watching the fuel and almost run out of gas before I could find a gas station. Now I am more careful as being older and wiser I don't think I can push one of these things very far.  rolling on the floor

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 09:21:25 am »

Bob,

Did Phoenix USA keep the wheelbase the same between the 2551 and the 2552, or did they stretch the wheel base one more foot accordingly?

I would assume, given the 2551/2552 is their smallest units built on the E450, you have the most CCC margin.

Tom did something different, special ordering a 2350 on an E450.  Lots more margin there.

Thanks Bob for keeping us updated as to your experiences/comparison between the two you've owned.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
gl1500

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 12:13:05 am »

The wheelbase is a fixed Ford chassis. PC could not lengthen the wheelbase, but they can use a different Ford chassis with a longer wheelbase.  As you can see on the PC spec. sheet there are several available wheelbase lengths.  They can extend the chassis length by welding extensions on the frame.  I believe they have any extensions to the frame done by an outside source.  Did not see any equipment at the factory to do this type of work.  So, the wheelbase on the 2552 is probably the same as the 2551, but I would have to measure it be positive.
Bob
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 01:30:42 am »

When we visited the factory 3.5 years ago, the fellow who gave us the factory tour started out in the yard where all the chassis were parked.  He pointed out how some frames were cut, separated, then adding sections of frame and extra reinforcement, then painted.  They also had special drive shafts.  I don't recall how they handled fuel lines, wire harnesses, and parking brake cables.  This done to get the wheel base longer or shorter pending the requirements of a particular model Cruiser.  But yes they had maybe 3 different lengths straight from Ford to work with.  All I know fore sure is that my 2007 2350 frame is not modified.  My wheel base was offered in 2007, straight from the Ford factory.

gl1500

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:34:15 pm »

Checked with PC about the frame lengthening.  They do have to modify the frames, but it is done by an outside Ford authorized company.  To modify the frame in lengthening the wheelbase you would need to have a fixture to insure frame alignment.  Also, you would have to modify all your wiring harnesses, brake lines and drive line.
    Bob
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 04:58:08 pm »

That does sound familiar......."outside Ford authorized company", not done at the Phoenix factory.  I never examined them real close, but at a glance they looked great.  You can easily see if your frame was modified.  Just look at it from below.  A couple feet behind the Ford cabin was where I recall the cuts were made.  There is added metal over the frame there.  It sounds like such mods were done right.  It is something to remember if you ever need to replace a drive shaft or parking brake cable.  Brake lines, fuel line, and wire harnesses can be easily handled without special parts.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:10:57 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

pyrthkr
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 12:29:54 pm »

RoseGlasses
Love the addition of the barrel chair to make a 2551 into a 2552.  Just bought my 2551 & didn't know there was such a thing.  From the PC site description, looks like the slide is std awa 17' awning.  All other options appear to be the same for 2551 & 2552.  btw: what the heck is a leather "euro" chair? 
 shrug
Enjoy your unit!
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 08:31:51 pm »

Is there a spec sheet for the 2552S. Does some one know how long the 2552S is? Could you get it with sofa? just wondering, billy

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 02:07:10 pm »

RoseGlasses
Love the addition of the barrel chair to make a 2551 into a 2552.
I just got my 3rd front captain chair to replace my barrel chair.  It will be so much more comfortable to relax reclined with back & head support, and real arm rests that fold away if desired.  I think my wife and I will be fighting over it, especially when watching TV there.  rolling on the floor
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:10:38 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

pyrthkr
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 03:06:53 pm »

Yahoo!
Congrats Ron!  Can't wait to see the pictures (of your wife in the chair!)  rolling on the floor
pyrthkr
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 12:50:33 pm »

Forgot to add an AMEN  to the captain's chair ILO barrel chair as the 3rd seat option.  Thanks for again chiming in Ron!
 exactly!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: