Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Manual Awning leg mount to PC.  (Read 459 times)
pyrthkr
« on: January 04, 2011, 05:25:54 pm »

Help
I have a 2008 2551 w/14' manual awning.  It appears I also have some packaged hardware that will provide a mounting position on the side of the RV for the awning "legs" rather than staking them to the ground.  Anyone have any experience w/installing them?
 shrug
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:55:30 pm by pyrthkr » Logged
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:34:23 pm »

That would be me.  On my 2350, I have mounted my awning brackets on the motor home.  I advise to mount the brackets high up on the lower skirts yet still able to get behind from below to attach the nuts.  Use stainless steel hardware and use nylon-insert lock nuts.

When determining the exact position for mounting, you want the poles to be either vertical, or slightly outward at the bottom.  But don't spread them too far apart because you then won't be able to get the awning pole feet into the brackets.  The feet won't be perpendicular and then binds trying to get them in their brackets.  My brackets are spread apart a little too far, done mainly to increase the swing of my entry door when the awning is open.  I get a little binding going on.  It's not ideal, but I got the knack to work it.  One good thing about it binding a little is that there is no rattling in a breeze, and no concern of it coming apart on it's own.  Once it's in, it's tightly held in place.  Still I advise to avoid spreading the brackets too far apart.

Your email address is hidden, preventing me from sending you a few pics.  If interested, email me through my profile.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:59:56 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:36:42 pm »

I had the factory install the brackets, no charge, shortly after we bought our 2007 model 2900.  Attached is a pic (now for sale at the factory we bought a new 3100).  As you can see in the picture, the factory installed them at the very bottom of the coach body.  One bracket to the right of the entry door and one below the rear storage door.  They simply used a small wood block behind the fiberglass body.  Worked great.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:50:49 pm by aimee » Logged

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:41:01 pm »

I suggest to mount high up, close to that horizontal seam, rather than down low like that.  It's only a 6" or so difference but that extra 6" in the pole allows for more height in the awning without getting so close to the fully extended position of the poles themself.  Based on your picture, it appears they mounted the brackets so low to clear that storage compartment door.

My advise....If you don't have to go so low, then don't.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:43:40 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: