Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2910 Owners Opinions  (Read 1307 times)
Simple Song

Helpful Rating: 9
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July 2009
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2010 PC2400
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:22:35 am »

After two seasons of travel (4-5 months each) in our PC2400 we want to "extend our horizons" and travel at least six months of the year.  The PC2400 is too small for that extended period. We love the PC products and are are considering the 2910.  Any 2910 owners who would give us opinions, advice, etc (here or PM) would be appreciated.

2910 or 3100    ???????????????

OK.  I'll be honest.  We got a second Coton de Tulear puppy and the older dog demands more space.   Heart Shower

Thanks

Tom

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:48:11 am by Simple Song » Logged
Trudy

Helpful Rating: 8
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1-10
Model: 2950
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:34:54 pm »

Oh how cute!

We don't have a 2010 but we sure like our 2950.

Trudy
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:53:22 pm »

If you are going to special order anything, I have a list of "Little Extras" I'd ask the factory to include.

- If getting a model with a barrel chair next to the entry door, pay more to get a 3rd captain seat, one identical to the front seats
- Request the battery compartment be shielded from the rear tires as per my post on the subject matter
- Request window shade reinforcements as per my post on the subject matter (done on shades in areas of high probability getting bumped hard like bedroom & dinette shades)
- Add an extra porch light (or two more, pending RV length) along the same side but favoring the rear area, for more even camp site & under awning lighting.  If it's too much light for you, then put in lower wattage bulbs to simply get "even distribution" of light with fewer shadows.
- Add an independantly switched porch light (or other type of outdoor light) off the rear of the motor home, to provide a good work light when hooking and unhooking the tow vehicle at night.  It is hard to hold a flashlight while hooking up (and unhooking) everything back there.  That light also helps to light up a campsite if needed.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:09:58 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Simple Song

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:01:50 am »

By now Stuart is going crazy  pulling hair out  with what we want - 2910 or 3100 ?  My dear wife ( as of 09:27 today) has made the decision - 2910    Cheers  All the rest is details.  We have learned much with two years of  PC2400 travel resulting in a list of changes or additions that we will address with Stuart.  Some of you have made suggestions and we have  incorporated them in our list.  Here are some of our thoughts ? (Stuart: I know you are reading this.)

Has anyone ever ordered a PC with a "wood floor" ?
No ladder or roof rail.
No PC logo on rear cap (wish to personalize)
On/Off switch for sub woofer.
2nd arm on copilots chair.
Built in shelves in cabinets overhead pilot and copilot chairs.
Divider in dinette overhead cabinets.
No coffee pot.
Can the galley flip up shelf be made of corian (or what ever material is used in galley ?
Is insulated glass an option with the new windows.
More outside lighting.

We are open to tother suggestions.    ThankYou

One last item. I have a RC model sailboat; where can we carry it ?  Does anyone know the inside demensions of the box under the 2910 queen bed ?

It's getting exciting in February as we think about continuing our summer adventures in a larger coach.    Wink
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 12:14:06 pm »

In our 2007 2350, the subwoofer would have been mounted under our bed.  I requested they mount the sub up front under a dinette bench.  If it's mounted up front somewhere far from the bedroom, I don't see a need for an on/off switch.

About the on-board water pump.  If they use the enhanced pump that stays on as long as the water is running, I'd be fine.  But if they use the generic pump that cycles on and off every few seconds, I'd say to request a water pressure tank be installed along with it.

I would also delete all the hooks and eyelets from the rear storage compartment, and do something different on my own.  I removed the eyelets to store a folding table, so I have holes in there for no reason.  I use the two hooks, but wished they were elsewhere inside, more to the right

You think like me about the roof rack and ladder.  Ask the factory include the parts to store at home, if for no other reason, for resale purposes.  If someone says "I'd buy it if only it had them"  then you can say, here they are, brand spanking new.

The same for the antenna.  If I were to order mine over again, I would request to keep it in it's box because it never works where we camp.  It works well mostly when we are in an RV park in-town where there is cable-TV service.  The antenna adds lots of holes and caulk on that beautiful B+ cap, it is ugly as heck, and it rattles with every bump.  I wish we didn't have ours.  But I have one so I bought that extra thingy to increase signal strength.  Still with digital technology, if there is a hill, canyon wall, mountain, big trees, anything between you and the source.....you have no signal.  We resort to putting in a DVD all the time, never bothering to crank up that dang thing.  I waste my time looking for a signal.  I suppose a lot depends on the kinds of places you stay at or near.  But for us camping in no-mans land all the time, the antenns is just a noise maker.

About the PC logo.  Ours is across the top in back leaving that big open area for personalizing.  Ask to see if they can do that for you as an alternative.  I always wondered why the factory changed that.  It seems a great area to add a nice picture or a map of states you've been.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:56:03 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 01:01:40 pm »

We are waiting, patiently (?) for our 2011 2551 to arrive. Scheduled to be in Florida Feb. 17 or 18.

We ordered with insulated glass windows. We had them in the 2350 Sprinter and they eliminated road noise and helped with the noise from loud campers in the evening.

When we ordered the 2350 last year, we ordered the Coach with no carpeting and we had sent to Phoenix,  an Armstrong vinyl that looks like wood. It was called Echo Lake Natural. We had it drop shipped from Home Depot to Phoenix. It is really good looking. Unfortunately, they also put down carpet! Since we picked up the Coach in Atlanta, we reluctantly accepted the carpeting.

On the 2551, again we chose to have no carpet. We find that the carpet gets spilled on and looks bad. Unfortunately, to keep costs in control, we are going with the flooring that is standard. I really dislike the look of it but I intend to cover it with runners.

There is a 2910 at the "Factory Store" here in Punta Gorda. We really like the layout of the unit. It should be more than acceptable for 2 adults and 2 dogs.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 01:04:49 pm »

Forgot to add that we are having the flip up shelf made of the Corian instead of the wood.

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 45
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 01:19:53 pm »

Tom,
   When we ordered our 2552, we sat down with Stuart and came up with several things we would like to have PC install.  At our request they did not install a coffee pot.  They added an extra shelf in the cabinet in the bathroom.  We picked out a water pump that does not do the cycling off and on, there are many available which do away with the need of a pressure tank.  Have a filter installed on the inlet side of the pump and have flexible tubing installed so the pump is not mounted directly to the hard water line.  When mounted directly to the hard line any pulsation or pump noise is transmitted to the system.  This is a recommendation from the manufacture.   We had a drawer added inside one of the shirt closets for wifes jewelry and laptop computer. We definitely had the roof rack and ladder installed.  We leave the ladder secured with double-sided velcro tape in the up position, thereby having access to the rear storage without having to move the ladder.  But, more importantly having access to the roof if and when you need to.  Much easier than trying to carry or find a ten foot ladder to get up there.  One major option we requested is the three way refrigerator.  We use the dc when we are on the road and contrary to some who say there is not enough power, there is plenty, in fact when we stop for lunch, we normally do not change over to propane and have yet to have the batteries depleted.  Batteries do need to be exercised and not continually overcharged.  It is an RV industry standard to not use propane while on the road with an open flame.  Accidents do happen. Would also recommend having two six volt batteries in series, rather than the two twelve volts in parallel.  Six volt golf cart type batteries provide much more power.  I found PC to be really open to work with purchasers, seeing as they came up with the 2552 by lengthening a 2551 twelve inches so we could have room for the third car seat behind the passenger.  One other thought, if you have your dogs with you, do you consider a dog accident leaking down between the wood flooring.  It does happen and personal experience can attest to this.
     Just my personal thoughts on your questions.
      Bob
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 05:51:37 pm »

We had our PC made with the ladder but no roof rack. I did not want the rear window either. You can see the rear of our PC on Adventures Anywhere page. Told them to keep the coffee maker and not to mount the fire extinguisher, I mounted it later behind the barrel chair. Since the sub woofer is under the bed I asked and got a switch to turn it off. Never use the switch as when one of us wants to watch TV while the other is sleeping, we just use the TV sound instead of the surround sound. I wish I had gotten a better water pump and more electric outlets. I just put an extension cord on the kitchen wall. I also just replaced the barrel chair with another captains chair, much better for watching TV.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Simple Song

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 01:34:34 pm »

Our PC2400 pulls our Honda CRV without any problems but passing trucks can be testy. If I were keeping it, I would follow Ron's advice  and have the chassis (shocks, sway bars, steering stabilizer, etc.) upgraded.

Should I do the same with a new 2910?   THe 2910  is 77'' longer overall and the wheebase is 54" longer then the 2400. It seems to me that's close to a two foot  longer (behind the rear axle)  leverage arm the Honda is working while going down the highway.

Any opinions on "driveability" off 29 ft PC units and towing experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 02:24:05 pm »

Simple Song,

I am no expert here at all, but reading so many posts on so many different brands of motor homes, the bigger the rig, the bigger the handling problems.  But it's not 100%.  A lot depends on the over-all weight distribution of the house and owner added stuff.  Your first experience under poor driving conditions will reveal a lot. 

If you have a tight budget, I advise to load up the rig as if to go on a trip, then drive it to a Ford service center that handles motor homes for an alignment.  People on other forums are saying that alignment is free from Ford.  Once done, then invest as needed from there.

Learning from our first motor home, we had everything done all at the same time as recommended from our local shop.

Ron

Trudy

Helpful Rating: 8
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1-10
Model: 2950
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 06:58:44 pm »

Don't know how helpful this will be, but we recently had all the upgrades done to our 2950 that Ron did to his PC. We haven't taken it on a trip yet, but my husband said he could tell a huge difference, just driving it back home. We also tow a CRV so I'll keep you posted!

Trudy
Simple Song

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 01:20:24 pm »

Anybody weighed a PC2900, PC2910, PC2950, PC 3100 lately ?

Need some confirmation on "weights."  It's my understanding (from Stuart) that a new PC2910 weighs about 12,000 lbs coming off the production line.   If the E450 Chassis GVWR is 14,500 lbs I will have 2,500 lbs to play with.  I compute all full tank fluids and gas at 996 lbs.  Lynn and I and the dogs weigh 430 lbs (please do not ask for a SPECIFICS).  The total is approximately 1450 lbs. According to my calculations I can load about 1,000 lbs of "Stuff" (dog food, wine, etc.) before exceeding the GVWR of 14,500.

Does this sound right ? 

It's decision time and I want to notify Stuart by tomorrow.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 02:20:01 pm »

Yes that sounds about right.  I would NOT feel bad about that.  Getting as close to the GVWR without going over, gives you the smoothest available ride.  Have you ever rented a box truck to move someone's belongings from one house to another?  An empty truck jars you silly.  But once filled up with stuff, the ride smooths out.  But if you plan to load up your 2910 with extra people, you might have an issue.

For reference, when we bought our PC-2350/E350 in 2007, I was told the small slideout available for it back then, added about 400 pounds to the vehicle.  According to the sticker provided by Phoenix USA, our rig weighs 9200 pounds without water, our stuff and us.  We have the earlier E350 chassis so it's GVWR is 11,500 pounds.  41 gallons of water weighs around 400 pounds.  Us and our stuff combined weight is no more 600 pounds.  Maybe more like 450-500 pounds.  With no slide outs we have plenty of margin of around 1400-1500 pounds.  If we brought other people along, we'd still be loaded safe.

If my 400 pound for a tiny slide is accurate, I would assume bigger slides add maybe 500-600 pounds a piece.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:25:01 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 04:55:12 pm »

Simple song, I hope when you figured the weight of the water you only added the weight of the fresh water OR the weight of the gray and black. Remember you are transferring water from the fresh to the holding tanks and would almost never have all three full at one time.
Water weights 8.3 lbs per gallon. LPG 4.2 lbs per gallon. Ron, 41 gallons weights 340 lbs, not 400. So you can add another 60 lbs to your CCC. CCC = cargo carrying capacity.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: