Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ford Engine RPM Redline  (Read 457 times)
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 61
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:02:01 pm »

In talking to Ford mechanics, they  just say there is an electronic RPM limiter and it will cut out power before you exceed the limits.  Could not get a definitive answer on the actual redline.  But, was able to get the RPM where the max horsepower is developed and that is 4250.  Also, able to get the max torque RPM which is 3250.  In our case the torque is the important spec as that is the pulling power we use, especially when pulling a hill. 
    Bob
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 93
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:58:31 am »

Bob
I looked on our Vehicle Information sheet for an RPM limiter but nothing listed. There is a listing for an Electronic Speed Limitation device. I don't know if it is one in the same. Our new 2551 was ordered without the Electronic Speed Limitation device.
George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 61
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:59:29 pm »

George,
    The electronic speed limiter should be to not allow the vehicle to exceed a certain MPH.  They are offering these options to parents to limit the speed their children can drive.  The RPM limiter is built in to either the fuel or ignition system so when the vehicles engine reaches a pre-programmed value, it either takes fuel away or cuts the ignition to keep the engine RPM from over speeding.  In the days before all of our electronics you could over speed your engine and stress or destroy it.
     The statement below is off a site where they talk about Ford problems with technicians.  They talk about both items you referred to.  The governor is the speed limiter, and the rev limiter is the RPM one.
     Hope this helps,  Bob                                                                                             

It is a rev limiter built in to the computer. You can't remove it without a chip.
Don't ask me why, but it's there. I hate it and I also hate the governor that kicks in at 90.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: