Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Microwave shuts off  (Read 450 times)
jdw
Full Member
***

Helpful Rating: 1
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 01/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Grey
ExtColor: Grey
________
Posts: 40


View Profile
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:36:10 am »

One of the very few little nuisances we've come across in our 2350 is that our microwave seems prone to shutting itself off before it's done.

I've only observed it in microwave mode but my wife says it's happened to her in "half time" mode at least once as well. 

Ordinarily when it finishes, it beeps several times and everything is fine.  But when this happens, it just beeps once and shuts off.  At the same time, it loses the clock setting, like there was a power failure.  But we're definitely not losing power or tripping breakers or anything... the light and the clock (well the ":" that's left after it loses the time) are still there afterward. 

We just punch in the time left (we're using a separate digital timer to keep track), start it again, and it keeps on going about its merry way.

I've checked the manual and its troubleshooting suggestions are of the "Problem: No power." "Solution: Make sure it's plugged in." variety.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on with this?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Logged
bigbadjc
Hero Member
*****

Helpful Rating: 28
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
Slide: Yes
________
Posts: 223


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:20:35 am »

Considering that this is a brand new unit, the most likely explanation is that there is a defect in the oven.  However, there are some things you might think about.  Does this happen when using the generator or campground hookups?  If you have an undervoltage problem, it could be causing some sort of internal sensor to shut it down because of overheating.  Does your manual indicate if it has an internal circuit breaker rather than the more usual fuse that might be opening and then resetting?  Does it occur when using 100% power or when it is cycling to attain lower % powers where surges could be a problem?  Is the plug for the microwave securely in the receptacle?  I'd try to get as much data as I could about when it occurs, then call the manufactrer of the microwave customer support and see what they suggest.  No real answers here, but this is not a common problem.

Jerry
Logged
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC
*******

Helpful Rating: 179
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
Location: Dundee, IL
________
Posts: 1948



View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:05:01 pm »

If you have any amount of handyman skills, it would be to your advantage to resolve the little things on your own.  It is so much simpler than taking it to your local RV shop.  The factory appreciates that too.

I advise to remove the front facing screws and pull out the microwave.  Go to another power souce like your house, garage, or if on the open road, a public place, plug it in there, and see if the problem goes away.  If it works fine, then you know the trouble is with the motor home.  If the trouble persists, then it is obviously a bad microwave.  The factory would help you either way, but the more you do on your own, the faster the resolution.
Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
jdw
Full Member
***

Helpful Rating: 1
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 01/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Grey
ExtColor: Grey
________
Posts: 40


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:38:59 pm »

I am... not all that handy.   Embarrassed  I was quite impressed with myself when I was able to tighten a fitting and get a water dribble to stop.

I know I've seen it happen at both 100% and "less than 100%" power.

The problem with doing any kind of test is that it's really intermittent. 

I get the impression it's not a power problem because it has time to beep once before it shuts off.  I too thought of overheating, but it seems more like it does it once early on and once it's "warmed up" it won't happen anymore (until it cools off again).

So far I've only run it off of shore power, haven't tried it on the generator.  I need to run the generator for a bit sometime in the next few days just to keep it in shape, maybe I'll plan to make some popcorn at that time and see what happens. Smile

I think I'll also call the manufacturer and ask about the beep-shutoff, since it seems distinctive enough that somebody ought to know what it means.

Thanks for the suggestions. Smile

Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
 
Jump to: