• PurchDate: June 2012
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Green
  • ExtColor: Green
Smoke & CO2 Detectors
« on: July 22, 2012, 07:49:28 am »
When we picked up our 2551, I noticed that the smoke and CO2 detectors were missing from their mounts on the ceiling so I called back to Stuart and he arranged for new ones to be sent.  I now have both and ready to install them, but not sure which location I should use for which.  One mount is close to the cab area and the other is further back closer to the A/C unit.  I was thinking the smoke detector should be furthest away from the galley toward the front, but I need to know for sure how they are located in other 2551's.  Help, please!
Greg & Juliana
Southeast Missouri

TomHanlon

Re: Smoke & CO2 Detectors
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 06:45:44 am »
I went to Walmart and bought a Kitchen type smoke detector with the silence button. I removed the one PC installed behind the A/C and placed the new one up front in the ceiling in line with the DVD player. Every time my wife would cook on the stove the original one would go off and it did not have the silence button. Now she has to burn something to get it to go off and the button stops the alarm for a few minutes. :lol

The CO2 is build into the LP detector under the passenger side bed. CO2 can be mounted either on the ceiling or the near the floor. Smoke on the ceiling and LP near the floor. Stuart should have told you this.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:47:29 am by TomHanlon »

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:25:35 pm »
Of course you mean CO not CO2, an inert gas.

billy

• Best Friends
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
  • Model: 3100
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:35:24 am »
We had, at one time, a smoke dect you could push the button before it went off. Then would reset after 7 min. Cannot find them any more.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

TomHanlon

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:54:35 am »
Our smoke detector is a First Alert model # SA720 with a date of 2011 May 23. It has a test/silence button and a light on it. I don't remember how much I paid for it but I think it was under $25.

http://www.firstalert.com/detectors/battery/photoelectric/SA720CN

dickreid1

• All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb. 2012
  • Model: 2910
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 02:24:17 pm »
We have a combination CO and Propane alarm in our coach. Yesterday the CO (carbon monoxide) alarm went off and caused a lot of concern. The "off/reset" button silenced it but the red light continued flashing.  The alarm would go off again after perhaps five minutes.  The reset did not work. The test did not pass. We could not shut it off. 

Called the mother ship.  Bob guide me on how to disable the faulty unit then transfered me to Carol for a replacement. The post office just called to inform us that a package just arrived!  Astounding! Simply incredible! Dumbfounding!

I love these people.

gradygal

• our 3rd PC--Custom 2910
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: March 2012
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: cherry
  • ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 03:05:57 pm »
Called the mother ship.  Bob guide me on how to disable the faulty unit then transfered me to Carol for a replacement. The post office just called to inform us that a package just arrived!  Astounding! Simply incredible! Dumbfounding!

I love these people.

(exactly) They do what they say they are going to do!
Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL

lmichael

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May 15, 2012
  • Model: 2552
  • IntColor: Sterling
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 03:23:40 pm »
Glad to see your post.  My detector does the same thing.  Have had to disconnect it while we're on this extended trip.  I'll have to call and see about getting a replacement, too.

bigbadjc

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: February 2010
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2006
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 04:04:14 pm »
You really can't do without CO and LP detectors, but I have had trouble with them in every rig I've owned.  I think that one problem is that in hot weather like we're having now causes some nasty molecules to seep out of the petroleum based plastics in the interior of the coach that sometimes gets mistaken for LP or even CO.  This gets better as the rig gets older, but the detectors also have a finite life, so they fail as their sensors crap out.  Invent a foolproof set of hazard detectors and the RV world will beat a path to your door.

Jerry