Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Finding digital tv signals over-the-air  (Read 2989 times)
glenncc

Helpful Rating: 5
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1/4/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: No
IntColor: Desert Sage
ExtColor: Desert Sage / Fullbody paint
________

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2011, 07:36:17 pm »

I haven't had much time to play with the Samsung TV and surround sound system on my 2010 PC yet, but the one time I cranked up the roof antenna and turned on the TV I got a message that no signals were available.  Now I know there are at least six digital stations available on my home TV using the roof antenna, but maybe the motorhome antenna is too low to get those signals.  It did occur to me that if the RV antenna was not aimed in the right direction I might not get a signal from any station.  If that is the case does a person have to turn off the TV, move the antenna, and repeat that process multiple times until a signal is received?  Is there a way to move the crankup antenna once the TV begins its search without confusing the procedure? 

Any help is appreciated from the "expers" on this forum.  Thanks again, everyone!

Glenn

Glenn Canavan 2010 Model 2350 with no slide out.
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 08:03:10 pm »

Hi Glenn,

You may need to run the auto scan, I find that I need to do that every time I move the RV.

Raise the antenna and point it where you think the signals are coming from, it doesn't need to be exact.  Then select "menu" on the remote to select "air" for the antenna and run the "auto program".  Also, make sure the antenna amplifier is on, press the button next to the cable connection in the cabinet above the passenger seat so that the red led is on.

Hope this helps, Bob

2010  PC 2551
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:32:29 pm »

This very topic is quite interesting.  I've had poor experience with this which is why I pretty much give up using the antenna and resort to DVD movies we bring from home.  You might have read a few of my posts mentioning I wished I never had the roof antenna mounted, just as I had the factory do with my roof rack and ladder.

At home in the house, we have a digital converter that came in handy to point our roof-top antenna toward the source.  There is a feature to identify signal strength, so with Walkie-Talkies, my wife instructed me to turn the roof antenna until the signal bar was at it's best.

In our 2007 PC with aftermarket 26" Samsung TV, that signal strength feature might be built into the TV, but I could not find it.   With digital technology, you have to pre-point the antenna to the right place, cross your fingers, scan for channels, and hope for the best.  In the places we typically camp, that process almost always yields nothing.  If I get two stations, I am doing great.  But they are weak so then what happens?  Digital pixelation and the sound cuts in and out.  So out comes our DVD binder with all our movies.

The analog days were real simple and reliable.  Turn on the TV to a popular station like channel 2, 5, 7, and then turn the antenna until the picture is at it's best.  It was a very forgiving process.

One final nail in the digital coffin is that digital technology requires line-of-sight.  If there is anything between you and the signal source, like a grove of trees, it's Tough-Luck-Charlie.  Supposedly you should be able to get a signal bounced off a mountain or canyon wall, but never any good luck there for me.

The only time the antenna actually works well is when we are staying in a larger city that broadcasts a digital signal.  But that places us into RV parks.  And guess what RV parks have......Cable TV offering many more channels...clean signal channels.  So what good is the antenna?

Okay I will type this again.  I sure wished I had PC-USA give me the Winegard antenna in it's shipping carton and free my roof of more holes and unsightly caulk, especially because it it mounted up front in the nice B+ cap.  It would also eliminate the nasty rattling the antenna makes when the roads are a bit rough.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:17:29 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
glenncc

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 03:06:19 am »

I was hoping for better news, but am not terribly surprised at what you had to say.  During the walk-through at the factory the TV scanned for channels from inside the garage and we got an excellent picture in no time.  I even commented on how great the signal was from inside the building.  Was that because they knew which way to point the antenna and possibly because Chicago broadcasts some strong digital signals that can be picked up in Elkhart? 

I own exactly zero DVD movies because I never enjoy watching the same movie more than once,  Has anyone experimented with streaming video from Netflix, Hulu, etc. using the Samsung TVs we have in our PCs?  Some TVs have that ability built in.  I have a FiveSpot with Verizon Wireless for internet service as well and though streaming movies takes a lot of memory maybe it would be cheaper to pay more monthly for a more expensive plan than to go with satellite and the headaches that entails.  I really don't like the idea of putting a dish on the roof of the PC and using a portable dish would just be too much trouble in my opinion. 

The best idea is to probably wait and see just how often I camp where cable TV is offered, but my preference is generally to camp in State Parks and National forests. 

Thanks for the input.

Glenn

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:39:48 am »

I see Winegard has come out with a new product to help us with the aiming problem. Go here: http://www.winegard.com/mobile/wallplates.php to see the SensarPro RFL-342 TV Signal Meter.

Has anyone used this yet or any other product like it?

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 10:48:23 am »

Im pretty sure your problem is that the antenna amplifier is not turned on (where the TV cable plugs in).  Our new 3100 gets over 30 channels (between Cincinnati and Dayton).  It gets none with the antenna amplifier off.  Rotating the antenna probably helps in some areas, but here, the reception is the same regardless of antenna direction.  And the Samsung HD TV is terrific.  On our Route 66 trip, http://www.mytripjournal.com/HistoricRoute66 in our prior 2900, we got TV reception everywhere except Meteor Crater RV Park in Winslow, AZ (no cable either wouldnt stay there again).  We used an analog-digital converter then.  Although a bit of a hassle to search for channels, but we never had a problem.  Also, we were on some fairly rough roads on Route 66 and never experienced noise from the antenna.  In fact in 30 years of RVing in motorhomes, we have never noticed noise from an antenna. 

As for a ladder, I wouldnt want to be without one.  Im frequently on the roof recently installed vent covers.  I regularly check caulking for leaks and wash the roof.  The roof rack helps an old guy like me when getting on and off, and I think it adds to the looks of the coach.  In all the years weve owned motorhomes, weve never had a roof leak from the ladder, rack, antenna or anywhere else.  I do, however, keep a close watch on all the seals.  As for access to storage behind the ladder, I removed all the hooks, anchors and straps, and store our chairs there, so Im not in it too often.  I keep all hoses and electric cords in the storage area under the 3100 slideout.

Check the antenna amplifier and youll get good reception.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:32:57 am »

I swear my amp is on as the little red light is lit.  I never seem to have any luck with a decent signal, but I almost never camp close enough to a city that broadcasts.  Even where I live is 40 miles from the old Sears Tower (now Willis Tower) and there is a hill between me and the direction of Chicago because I live in the Fox Valley (for those who are familiar), so trials at home are futile.  The same problem if I try to capture a broadcast from Rockford which is about the same distance but in the opposite direction.  I have yet to install the Winegard Wingman that mounts on the underside of the antenna and will add thick felt feet to the areas of contact with the roof.  Maybe that will quiet the noise it makes.  I did already add felt feet recently but have not driven the motor home since.  Now I have to relocate them for the Wingman. I won't know any results until our first trip this year.....whenever that is.

I too spend some time inspecting and cleaning the roof doing as gophoenix, but I use a big sturdy 10' step ladder for the task.  I stay off the roof as much as possible, reaching from the ladder with a brush on a broom stick instead.  That does limit my roof access only when home.  On trips I have none.  I really don't know what I would do with a stubborn tree branch.  But without the ladder and rack for branches to get tangled up in, I have not yet been in trouble.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:35:48 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:59 pm »

Ron, as for the antenna amplifier, I was responding to the original post by glenncc.  I believe that problem is the amplifier.  As for the rest, were sometimes in our PC for one to two months at a time, often stationary, so I like roof access.  I regularly clean the vent cover screens.  Even with vent covers, debris gets on top of the vent screens.  Also, personally, I wouldnt lean a ladder against the PC.  Just personal preferences

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 12:21:46 pm »

Oh I see you point, and also being stationary for months at a time, needing to clean off debris there.

As for my 10' step ladder, It never touches the motor home.  It is free-standing, setup adjacent to the RV on a flat concrete driveway.  That ladder has a very wide stance, making it very safe to reach onto the roof.  But such a ladder is impossible to carry along on a trip.  It is a home-use only item as seen in this picture, the orange ladder partially out of view, leaning against the garage wall.

billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:43:27 pm »

Tom, we picked up our Cruiser and we both had withdrawals, no DirecTV. But it was not all that bad. Almost every where we stayed we did get a pretty good picture from the Wingard. I don't think I would spend my money on the sensor you had the link to. As Bob stated, crank up the antenna, make sure the booster is on, run an auto search and turn the antenna for best results. billy

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:34:53 pm »

run an auto search and turn the antenna for best results. billy
Autosearch?  I got to find that on my TV.  That would help so very much.  I hope all my "wineing" about this has a happy ending for me.

That is a "TV Driven" feature, right?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:38:05 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

bobander
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 02:43:25 pm »

Regarding the antenna booster, I was having a rough time in the beginning with both the over the air antenna reception and the cable input.  It took me a while to figure out that the booster had a dramatic effect on both the antenna and the cable input, it had to be on (red led on) for the antenna to work and it had to be off to work on cable input.  Actually, if the over the air signal was strong enough, the antenna would work ok with the booster off, but the cable input would not work at all with the booster on.

We are pleased with the antenna, I have been surprised to get great antenna reception in remote areas.  One that comes to mind is boondocking at Flaming Gorge Reservoir in NE Utah.

Regarding antenna noise, I also was bothered by the noise on the roof from the antenna while going down the road.  I found that one of the antenna wings was only about 1/8 inch from the roof and would vibrate against the roof.  I bent it up a bit and that noise stopped.  There was still some vibration noise that I finally stopped by tightening the crank more firmly to remove all slack in the mechanism when storing the antenna in the down position for travel.  Now all is well!

Bob

2010  PC 2551
bobander
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 02:49:47 pm »

[/quote]Autosearch?  I got to find that on my TV.  That would help so very much.  I hope all my "wineing" about this has a happy ending for me.

That is a "TV Driven" feature, right?
[/quote]

Ron,

Yes, you have to run the auto search to find the tv stations that are available.  I don't know why, but when we move to a new location, I have to run the auto search every time.

You can find the auto search, or auto scan, in the TV menu.

Good luck, Bob

2010  PC 2551
glenncc

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 03:11:57 pm »

I honestly don't remember if the antenna booster was turned on or not when I tried searching for channels.  The PC is still in its storage garage at this point, but I should have it out in a week or two and I will definitely try your suggestions.  I have higher hopes for success now than before!  Thanks. 

I did check Verizon and it would cost $80/month for their largest wireless internet plan (10 GB).  I already have the 3 GB plan that costs $35/month and I only average about half the usage that plan offers.  The difference of $45 would offer a savings over the $71 I now pay for DirecTV at home if I wanted to use Verizon's service exclusively.  I'd still have local channels at home via the roof antenna for the bulk of my use and I could use the wireless signal for movies.  I even have my old Dell computer still that will work wirelessly with the Verizon FiveSpot so I could designate it just for use on the home TV and even be able to surf the internet on my newer laptop at the same time if I chose.  Still, if the crank-up antenna on the PC works as well for me as it is for many of you I will happy with that. 

Thanks again everyone!

Glenn

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 03:12:23 pm »

Bob,

I know about scanning for stations.  I thought the feature was scanning to identify the best place to point the antenna, prior to scanning for stations.

My analog to digital converter at home is set up with a "where to point the antenna" feature, prior to scanning for stations.  I wondered if my TV in the motor home has that extra feature as well.  Do any of you have what I describe?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:16:15 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: