Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Finding digital tv signals over-the-air  (Read 2968 times)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 03:41:25 pm »

Ron, look at my post above with the new Winegard aiming plate. I think it is what you are looking for. I have never tried one and am also wondering how good they are. It would replace your current plate and still have the power booster built in. I always turn on the power booster when watching off the air and off for cable. Sometimes I get the digital signial but feel I am not quite aimed properly. I am sure when you install the wingman, you will find it helps a lot, I did on the old motorhome.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 04:58:17 pm »

Okay Tom, I will have to install my wingman, then drive my PC out from the valley I live in, up to where I have a better chance in getting a signal from Willis Tower (Sears Tower), then experiment from there.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 05:08:36 pm »

Bob,

I know about scanning for stations.  I thought the feature was scanning to identify the best place to point the antenna, prior to scanning for stations.

My analog to digital converter at home is set up with a "where to point the antenna" feature, prior to scanning for stations.  I wondered if my TV in the motor home has that extra feature as well.  Do any of you have what I describe?

Ron,

Sorry, total confusion on my part.  Never heard of scanning for where to point the antenna, now I have something new to learn about.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 06:13:31 pm »

I can't give any help on how to aim your antenna, but there is a government website that will give you a list of available tv stations and approximate signal strengths for a city, zip code, address, etc.  This will at least tell you what you might expect to get.  The website is http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/.  I also know that in some locations you cant find a local antenna sales business website with instructions on which direction to point your antenna.  I have looked at one in Kingwood, TX, as an example. By the way, I always use the amplifier and have had limited success. In some locations, even in the country, I have gotten several channels, while out in the mountains of the western states about the only thing I saw on my TVs were DVDs.

Jerry
NLK

Helpful Rating: 15
________
PurchDate: August 2010
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Cherry / Gray
ExtColor: Gray full paint
________

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 12:23:11 pm »

Before I acquired cable TV at my home, I had a unit sitting next to the TV that would turn the roof antenna to different directions to watch some of the channels.
On my PC when we raise the TV antenna that was installed by the factory and turn the antenna booster on, there have always been numerous channels available.  Occasionally we need to run the auto scan.  However, we did have a problem with reception on the TV and cell phones in areas within the Allegany Mountains.  The only aggravation that I have is occasionally when using the remote for the TV over the rear bed; it will change the channels on the TV up front.  We still haven't found out how to stop that from happening.
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 05:09:15 pm »

Bob,

I know about scanning for stations.  I thought the feature was scanning to identify the best place to point the antenna, prior to scanning for stations.

My analog to digital converter at home is set up with a "where to point the antenna" feature, prior to scanning for stations.  I wondered if my TV in the motor home has that extra feature as well.  Do any of you have what I describe?

Ron,

Sorry, total confusion on my part.  Never heard of scanning for where to point the antenna, now I have something new to learn about.

Bob

Bob,
Did you find when we were in Santa Fe the over the air signals from Albuquerque were better than the cable in the campgrounds.?  And that using converters since our TV's were before all this digital nonsense.  Reason I ask your unit is way newer than mine.
L. G.
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 05:29:32 pm »

Bob,
Did you find when we were in Santa Fe the over the air signals from Albuquerque were better than the cable in the campgrounds.?  And that using converters since our TV's were before all this digital nonsense.  Reason I ask your unit is way newer than mine.
L. G.
[/quote]

Hi L.G.
Sorry, I don't recall if I used the antenna or the cable in that RV park in Santa Fe last fall.

I have been on the road in Arizona for the past 5 weeks and I have used the antenna in the Phoenix and Tucson areas.  I couldn't get a signal in Buckskin State Park on the Colorado River or boondocking in Quartzsite.  I installed the Wingman on my antenna last week and will try those places again on the way home.  The picture with over the air digital is outstanding, and no converter box as the set is newer.

May head for home in a week or so, have to wait for the snow storms in the Sierra Nevada to stop.
Bob

2010  PC 2551
lmichael

________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 07:22:06 pm »

Ron, the tv does not have the "where to point the antenna" feature.  One note to the original poster for this subject, you also have to make sure the tv is set for over the air reception and not cable.  I sometimes forget to change this after I use cable or directv, and my search for stations comes up empty.  We almost always get a load of Mexican, religious and ION stations when we use the antenna.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 08:08:03 pm »

Ron, the tv does not have the "where to point the antenna" feature.
So how is everyone doing it them.....just point in the general direction of where you "think" the signal is coming from?

Here at my house, because of the long distance and poor landscape circumstances (I live in a valley), the slightest change in direction of the antenna, makes a huge difference in signal strength.

In my analog to digital converter box at home, it has that "Signal Strength" feature I mentioned earlier, there to assist in directing the house antenna on the roof.  I wonder if I should somehow work that into my Winegard antenna in the motor home, just to aid in where to point the antenna, before I start scanning for channels.

jdw

Helpful Rating: 1
________
PurchDate: 01/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Grey
ExtColor: Grey
________

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 08:41:23 am »

So how is everyone doing it them.....just point in the general direction of where you "think" the signal is coming from?

I use www.antennaweb.org.  If you put in the address, they will give you the compass headings of the broadcast antennas for every station you ought to be able to receive.  Usually they're almost all in the same spot, so you just point the antenna that way.

This has served me well everywhere we've gone so far except Marathon, FL which was just a bit too far from Miami to do any good.  (Still got the obligatory Spanish channel though -- the only thing funnier than the "Magic Bullet" infomercial is the "Magic Bullet" infomercial dubbed into Spanish.)

However, being in a valley, this might not help you much at home if the best (or "least worst") signal is actually being reflected from some other direction.  But it's been pretty handy on the road.

I've also learned that the digital OTA channel numbers are all "fake" and even for channels with low numbers, like 4.1, the actual signals are usually broadcast in the old UHF range, not VHF.  So there's always that extra fussing required to get them in right.  If my childhood UHF experiences are any guide, having someone stand holding the antenna with one hand while leaning in a certain direction with one foot in the air may be your best bet to significantly improve reception.*

In my analog to digital converter box at home, it has that "Signal Strength" feature I mentioned earlier, there to assist in directing the house antenna on the roof.  I wonder if I should somehow work that into my Winegard antenna in the motor home, just to aid in where to point the antenna, before I start scanning for channels.

In the RV that would be a bit hard to do because the signal strength meter would have to have the entire tuner built in.  Otherwise it wouldn't know what channel's signal strength to report.  So I'm not sure there's a smaller equivalent you could get.  Taking that thing with you might be an option; you could temporarily plug it in where the TV connects and then reconnect the TV after you're satisfied.

*Take appropriate precautions before doing this on the roof of your PC! ;-)
lmichael

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 02:43:16 pm »

All I do is raise the antenna and run the auto channel search.  However, being in the West most of the time, I'm either on flat land or on a mountain with no obstructions.  I have noticed that I usually find more stations on the Samsung tv up front than on the 19" I installed in the bedroom.  About the only time I rotate the antenna is when reception is fuzzy or pixle freeze occurs.  The digital addition to the antenna on my current PC and on my previous 2007 2700 PC did make a significant difference.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 02:55:10 pm »

The digital addition to the antenna on my current PC and on my previous 2007 2700 PC did make a significant difference.
Could you clarify what you mean by "digital addition"?  Are you referring to the add-on Wingman?

We bought our 2007 2350 with Winegard antenna and signal booster during the time of analog, but no TV's.  I installed digital TV's later.  I bought a Wingman but have not yet installed it.  I will before our first excursion this year.

lmichael

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2011, 03:00:21 pm »

Yes, it's the wingman--feeble mind couldn't recall the name so I fudged.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 03:14:48 pm »

Yes, it's the wingman--feeble mind couldn't recall the name so I fudged.
Thanks for the clarity!

billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2011, 08:29:18 pm »

Saw this in my motor home magazine.  

http://www.kingcontrols.com/surelock/digital_tv_signal_finder.asp  

scrool down to specification sheet, good info   billy
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 08:36:18 pm by billy » Logged

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: