Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Electric sofa/bed question  (Read 5294 times)
Barry

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 5/07
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 07
Slide: Yes
ExtColor: Green/white
________

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2011, 04:33:23 pm »

I have a 2007 Phoenix 2400 with a pop out on the driver's side where the sofa/bed lives.  I notice on the new 2011models that the sofa has been replaced with a new model using an air bed for the mattress.  This seems like a great improvement over the older bed.  I would like to know if the new bed can easily be installed in place of the older one.  Does anyone have any wisdom to share?
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 184
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:43:14 pm »

Barry, the person that will know is Carol at the factory. She can even tell you what your cost would be, including shipping. Have your Vin number handy when you call her. The other option would be to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond and buy the air mattress and use it on top of your sofa. May not be as convent but might work.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:21:46 pm »

Barry:

I would advise against the air bed.  We have one and it is worthless.  I have two kids who use it and wish I could have your set up.  Our bed popped in the first two weeks.  Not to mention it is not comfortable at all.  If I could afford to switch the dang thing out I would.

Just one opinion.

David

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:51:31 pm »

Barry,

We have a 2010 2551 with the sofa/air bed. 

I don't know if you can fit the new sofa/air bed in your 2007, that would be a question for the factory.

The dealer we bought from had a 2009 model with the electric sofa bed and a 2010 model with the sofa air bed, we were able to directly compare the two.

Regarding comfort in the sofa position, the new sofa air bed was much more comfortable to sit on, probably because it is built primarily as a sofa whereas the cushions on the electric sofa bed serve as both sofa cushions and bed mattress.  Agree with the post above that the air mattress is not that comfortable to sleep on, but for us it is only used once per year for the grandkids.  Depends on how often and who sleeps on the sofa as to whether the sleeping comfort is an issue.

Another big difference we noticed was that when in the sofa position, the new sofa air bed stuck out from the wall 8 inches less that the electric sofa bed, a big deal for space in a small rv.  Confirm that dimension with the factory if you decide to change it out.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 05:36:10 am »

I wonder if either sofa bed would fit through the entry door.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
pyrthkr
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 04:00:23 pm »

We have a 2008 2551 w/elec sofa (no mattress) & we simply bought a nice, inflatable, pillow top double mattress that seems to do the trick w/o going to the expense of the entire air bed.  Of course, co-pilot likes the mattress soft whereas I am a more firm kind of guy sooo.............

Wink
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 10:52:14 pm »

Well... we were in the 1000 islands this weekend and we had a second blow out on that blank blank blank air matress. Again I repeat I would never ever order a air matress again couch again.  We had to go down to Gander Mtn and purchase a twin bed air matress. Our youngest child slept on the bed unfolded and our oldest slept on the new matress on the floor. Will find a solution to that stupid setup this winter or the Phoenix goes down the road to motorhome hell...

DJM

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 02:59:05 am »

I never could understand how regular use of an air bed would have any kind of reliability.  If Phoenix is shipping you a new air mattress, maybe you could discuss a trade-up for the new 2012 couch bed combo with memory foam.  It looks like you have a chance of getting it to fit through the main entry door.  But if not, maybe through the front passenger door with seat and engine cover removed.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:41:08 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
MARK S

Helpful Rating: 0
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: july 23 2011
ModelYear: 2008
ExtColor: grey black
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 11:41:43 am »

Greetings All, new guy here.                                                                                                                                                                                                    I recently inherited a 2008 2551 from my father who had removed the electric bed to install a recliner, it worked well for him.

I am currently working with Carol to find a replacement bed. Carol expressed to me that in order to install the air bed it would require the entire slide to be pulled out and extensive retrofitting would be necessary.

The electric  trifold bed will fit through  the door disassembled.

If anyone changes out their bed, I could use one!       
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:42:24 pm »

When our air mattress kept loosing air, I found 2 holes where it was rubbing against the frame.  I filed all the weld spots that were sticking up and put a thick blanket between the mattress and frame.  Hopefully, that will protect the mattress for a while.
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 45
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 02:02:32 pm »

We have not used the air bed in our slideout couch.  I did not like it being stored with the couch folded, so I removed it and store it in the slideout drawer under the couch.  I agree with Imichael there are too many chafing points on the couch.
    Bob
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:43:27 pm »

Well Ron, you may have a very good idea there.  I have not looked at the 2012's until today. That is a much better setup.   A ride out to Elkhart may be in the offing this fall...

DJM

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 184
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 07:59:39 am »

I bet that Phoenix will have those new sofa/beds on display at the Hershey RV show in September. This years show run Sept. 14 through Sept 18. It is always a lot of fun to go to this show and see all the new units and all the cool vender stuff for sale.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 314
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 10:56:32 am »

We have found that the "AERO" bed air mattress is very comfortable.  We tried the air mattress in the  2010 model and it does not compare to an "AERO" bed.  With one of our previous travel trailers we used the AERO bed for five years (2 months at a time).  No complaints about the bed.  We now use it at home when we have guest and they all say how comfortable it is.  You can find good deals on these. We still have the original queen one we bought about 15 years ago.  The full size one we used for five years gave out after continuous use in the trailer and we replaced it with a clearance model for $25 and it is still going strong after 4 years.

We found the couch in the 2010 model very comfortable compared to the electric couch in the 2008 model.  We have sat in the couch in the 2012 model and it is comfortable and very nice but the seat is a little deep for a smaller person.

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 10:19:57 pm »

Well, I have to come up with a solution.  Hershey is only about a 2 hour trip from here. Might be worth the trip.  Only problem, if my wife lays eyes upon a new 2552 it might be a very expensive trip.  @Ron, I was thinking the same thing about the new couch/bed.  I will have to call out to Phoenix in the very near future.  @Barry.,  I will give the Aero a look see. We have antoher trip planned for Sept so, I have to patch that bed or buy something new......

Thank you all.

DJM

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print

Jump to: