Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Batteries  (Read 948 times)
bigbadjc
Hero Member
*****

Helpful Rating: 28
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
Slide: Yes
________
Posts: 223


View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 06:30:38 pm »

Well, if the battery goes dead while being "switched off", it probably means you have a "draw".  If you were a practicing electrician, you use an ammeter to see if a current is flowing from the battery.  Seriously, all you can really do is see what is happening with your battery after it has been switched off for a month or so.  Still up, no draw.  Dead as a door nail, have it checked by your mechanic on a battery tester.  If it tests good, start looking for that small wire coming from the battery next to the big cables.
Jerry
Logged
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC
*******

Helpful Rating: 179
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
Location: Dundee, IL
________
Posts: 2017



View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 07:43:16 pm »

Our 2007 model with Tripp-Lite inverter has a current draw as well with everything turned off.  Interesting comment about the detectors.  I never thought of that.  Though I store the motor home inside a garage with electricity, I do not plug into 120V.  I disconnect the RV batteries, but not the chassis battery.  Once every couple months I put all batteries on a smart charger, 4 amp setting.

I learned something with my original Phoenix supplied batteries.  After the second season, I was getting boil-over and wondered why.  I removed the two batteries and measured their voltage independantly which was just about the same.  I filled them to the proper level with distilled water, and then while on my work bench I wired them together and charged them with a smart charger.  Guess what happened?  They still boiled over.  I was perplexed.  That should not happen with a smart charger.  I then separated them and charged them individually.  One battery accepted the charge without boiling over, and it reached it's proper voltage.  When I did the same to the other battery, it boiled over.  I measured the voltage which was just about right, not quite as much, maybe 11.9V volts.  The next day, just sitting on my work bench the voltage dropped dramatically to around 10V.

The moral to the story.....
If you experience battery boil-over, separate the two batteries and test them independantly.  Apparently one weak battery will fool the charger into pumping a charge until the cows come home, boiling over both batteries in the process.  I replaced them with two new (bigger) batteries from Walmart.  So far so good.  No boil-over yet.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:51:48 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
bobander
SuperHero Member
******

Helpful Rating: 133
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
Location: N. California
________
Posts: 358



View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 08:07:54 pm »

The moral to the story.....
If you experience battery boil-over, separate the two batteries and test them independantly.  Apparently one weak battery will fool the charger into pumping a charge until the cows come home, boiling over both batteries in the process.  I replaced them with two new (bigger) batteries from Walmart.  So far so good.  No boil-over yet.


Thanks for that info Ron, I will check the batteries separately to see if that is the reason for my boil over problem.
Bob
Logged

2010  PC 2551
GoPhoenix
Hero Member
*****

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
Location: Trenton, Ohio
________
Posts: 192



View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 02:44:31 pm »

We leave our 12v on all the time, even when on shore power.  Were now over five years in a PC (on our second one) and never had problems.  The reason I like to leave it on is because its not unusual for the shore power to go off for a while.  Usually during a storm but sometimes for no obvious reason.  If that happens, everything still works if the 12v is on full time.  We dont use shore power when stored not available.
Logged

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
 
Jump to: