Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 55884 times)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 184
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: January 21, 2014, 04:47:40 pm »

I agree with Ron. Having had the 2350 and a shorter 21' Chinook along with the 2552 and 28', 34'. I find that the shorter ones worked with out a towed. When going out to dinner, I would  park on the edge of the lot and hang the rear over the grass. With the longer units I almost always tow. I say almost because we camp with a friend that has a 5th wheel and we ride with them sometimes.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Joe

Helpful Rating: -1
________
OwnPC: No
Model: 2100
________

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 21, 2014, 05:22:28 pm »

Welcome Joe!

The 2552 is the hottest selling PC, most popular in the PC community, and quite eye catching to owners of other brand motor homes, especially older couples.  The 2552 is one of the lighter rigs built on the E450 which makes it very well suited for towing the 5000 pound limit defined by the hitch.  As far as using the rig as your get-around-town vehicle, I can say that our shorter model 2350 (23'-8" long) seems to be pushing the limit for us.  We could surely get by as we have done so on one trip.  I suppose a lot depends on where and for how long you'll be wishing you brought your car from home.  For us, some trips are real nice to get around in our Jeep Liberty because without it, we'd miss out on so much.  But our vacation around Lake Michigan, I think it would have been better to leave the Liberty home.  Each trip's agenda dictates when to take it and when to leave it home.  For us it's not something we absolutely must bring on every vacation.  But yes absolutely on "some" vacations.

Thanks Ron, that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.  Anybody else wanna offer their 2 cents!
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 21, 2014, 06:05:05 pm »

Joe,
We are also located in SW Florida. We have had 3 PC's in the last 4 years. We finally got it right with our 2910,

Welcome to the Forum and if you would like to take a look at our PC, please let us know. We would be more than happy to help with your decision. We tow a Honda Fit and it works out perfectly for us.

Judi and George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 21, 2014, 11:21:34 pm »

Hi Joe,
Here are my "2 cents" worth.  I agree with Ron and Tom's comments.  I feel that the 2552 is not a good choice if you want to go without a toad very often. 
We love our 2552 partly because its relatively small size makes it fairly easy to drive and park, but it's not small enough to generally use on short trips around areas where we are camped.
--Bruce

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #559 on: January 22, 2014, 09:41:31 am »

We own a 2552, live in it full time, work in it part time and tow a Subaru Forester. We never RVd before, never towed anything before, and we owned small vehicles so navigating this baby was a new experience all the way around. We took a 4,000 mile trip last July with just the PC since our Toad was not ready. We could pull over at roadside stands (sometimes) and could park in a double head to head space or a normal space where we hung our tail over the grass as Tom did. We DID almost slam our stabilizer jacks on a parking bumper this way so you have to be careful with the maneuver and have your spotter back there. We easily parked at malls, Home Depot, Walmart, Cracker Barrel, etc. We took at least two or three spaces street side so if there is room, it can be done. You have to feed ALL the meters. We are still not comfortable maneuvering on some of those cute little walkable town streets but weve done it. Some of the corners do not give room to swing anything bigger than a sedan without invading someone elses road space. What we found on that trip is that we would opt to stay in camp and skip a dinner out or a nearby trail or exploration site to avoid having to batten everything down and unhook everything before we went. Its not a big deal but doing it day after day gets old. Coming back late all warm and mellow from a nice dinner then having to strap on your headlamp and drag hoses is not something we wanted to do repeatedly. Note that it can be done, we just choose not to. The July trip took our 2552 from Maryland to: Mammoth Cave Kentucky; St. Louis Arch and through St Louis (no problems); hopping through several Midwestern states stopping pretty much wherever we wanted; all through the Black Hills; Wall Drug; the Badlands; more states, more visitor centers, more campgrounds; the Amish market near the factory complete with horses and buggies (a little tricky parking but most tourist areas have RV parking areas and were MUCH smaller than most of those parked there); and then on back to Maryland with very few issues due to the size of the rig.

John refers to the PC as our Mother Ship and the Subaru as our shuttle. We dock the Mother Ship and easily wander the universe in our shuttle.

With the Phoenix, Subaru and Swing Daddy bike rack all strung together gas stations and parking become a little more of a challenge but we manage. We have skipped very few things due to our set up. In towns we tend to park at the far back of large store lots. Our solution to most parking problems is Google Maps. Pull it up on your phone and eyeball the places you want to go. I have navigated John through a lot of tight spots and side streets to get us where we want to go and to determine if we should even attempt to go there in the first place. It is a good way to find a safe turn-around spot when you are unexpectedly forced to travel in the wrong direction by divided highways or road construction.

We will be in southwestern Florida at least part of the first week of February and are happy to show you our rig and set up if you like. It is always better to go with someone local so you can go back again if you need to (as we did with Tom thank you Tom) but if there are no 2552s nearby that you can see, ours will be rolling through and well be happy to show it to you. Gradygal (Judi and George) live in Punta Gorda and are PC pros so even if you check out our rig to get a feel for the 2552, you still might want to visit with them for the full Phoenix scoop.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:01:24 am by 2 Frazzled » Logged

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Joe

Helpful Rating: -1
________
OwnPC: No
Model: 2100
________

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 24, 2014, 09:41:35 am »

Thanks for all the reply's to my post.  Looking forward to many continued discussions in this forum. 
Joe
Bside60

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: Feb 2014
Model: 2350 Ford
IntColor: Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 19, 2014, 10:54:48 am »

We flew out of Denver and picked up  our 2350 on the E450 chassis on February 3rd. Hats off to you hardy cold weather campers but we stayed in hotels on the indirect drive back to Denver via Elkhart-Columbus, OH ( for a trade show)-Madison Wisconsin ( braving the minus 11 temps to see our daughter who attends school there) and back to Denver ( 50s and 60s this week!).

We needed to hit the ground running work-wise upon our return, so the rig is in storage for now. We are very excited for some consistently warmer weather and hoping the winterization job by the PC folks protected the plumbing on our arctic journey home.

The next step  is setting up a Wrangler Unlimited as a tow vehicle. I ordered a Tomken ( http://www.tomken.com/detail.php?id=390) Winch bumper for the Jeep with optional tabs for a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar. The Jeep will not have a lift so the after market bumper will eliminate the need for a base plate and preserve the clearance we already have.

I am estimating (wont know for sure until the bumper is installed) an 8 inch difference between the PC receiver and Jeep bumper tabs so I hope an 8 inch riser will do the trick to level the towbar.

As far as supplemental braking, SMI or Unified would be my first two choices, but an RVi2 dealer is about two blocks from work. I hope this choice on the side of convenience doesn't bite me in the butt later.

We head to Vegas  for another tradeshow at the end of March and then on to Palo Alto, CA, so hopefully, I'll have all this together in time for a shakedown trip before then.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 184
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 19, 2014, 11:15:31 am »

Welcome

I am glad to see someone else besides me ordered a 2350 on the  E450. My first PC was like that.

How much does the Jeep weight. You only have a 5000lb hitch on the PC, unless you did something different.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: February 19, 2014, 11:51:03 am »

Bside60,

Welcome to the PC family.  So you decided to get a 2350 on steroids.  If (I should say "When") you have questions of any kind, this is the place to ask them.  Safe travels!

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Bside60

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 19, 2014, 05:30:34 pm »

Thanks Ron and Tom,

I have a thin margin on the Jeep. I believe the manual transmission 4 door Rubicon is 4521 lbs. Adding the tow bar, after market bumper, bike rack and bikes will be pushing things a bit. Maybe I'll have to throw the Jeep's spare tire in the PC and tow with the top and doors removed to save a few pounds!

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: February 19, 2014, 06:32:11 pm »

Thanks Ron and Tom,

I have a thin margin on the Jeep. I believe the manual transmission 4 door Rubicon is 4521 lbs. Adding the tow bar, after market bumper, bike rack and bikes will be pushing things a bit. Maybe I'll have to throw the Jeep's spare tire in the PC and tow with the top and doors removed to save a few pounds!

Personally I wouldn't bother even if over by a tad.  Just be sure to get a smart tow brake system along the lines you are thinking and you'll do fine with everything stored in their normal places.  There is no weight in or on the motor home that way.  It's all being pulled.  Go easy as you normally would towing, with great tow brakes all will be fine.

And that is only my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:35:48 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 44
________
PurchDate: July
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
________

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 19, 2014, 11:14:00 pm »

WELCOME!   MeetYa

We just recently set up for towing a 2013 Ford Edge Ltd AWD which is 4300 lbs, using a Blue Ox Towbar.  Ours has about an 8inch riser, due to the Edge configuration with adaptive cruise paraphernalia.  With our 2552 it tows remarkably well and handles nicely.  The only time I really notice is going up steep grades.  We were going to go with the Unified braking system, but our local RV tech recommended the SMI due to his own experience with Unified control boxes being returned with issues.  The SMI has worked very well for us and we are very happy with it.  Amazing how much better the whole rig brakes when we tow the Edge with the SMI.

Palo Alto isn't very far from us here in the Napa Valley area.  Give us a holler if you want to get together for a PC party!

- Mike and Joni
Bside60

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 21, 2014, 08:49:50 am »

Thanks Mike and Joni!

It is good to hear that the 8 inch riser works. Maybe I should reconsider the SMI system over the RVi2 system. I have only found one installer here so far.
medgilmore

Helpful Rating: 1
________
PurchDate: 2/21/14
Model: 2551
IntColor: CHERRY
ExtColor: METALIC BROWN
________

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 04, 2014, 07:11:42 pm »

Welcome to Phoenix USA RV's Discussion Board. We think you'll find this is a nice place to hang out. Why don't you start off with a little introd uction and tell us a bit about yourself?
I HAVE BEEN A CLASS A FOR 40 YEARS  GMC [6 WHEELER]-----2007 43' EAGLE--26' PC 2014  LOVE IT
RETIRED AIRCRAFT TECH, [V/N-MARINE 1965-66] 1964--1968   Parks college of aeronatics Cahokia,iL
CATERPILLAR CORPORATE AIRCRAFT TECH. 1969--1999RET. PEORIA,IL
KB9OMH

Helpful Rating: 10
________
PurchDate: 3/26/13
Model: 3100
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 04, 2014, 07:36:34 pm »

ED,
     Welcome to the PC world, I also live in Peoria, IL. Hope to run into you some time. I also retires from Caterpillar Inc, but back in 2002. If you need any help with your PC let me know and I'll try and help

Jim
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 45   Go Up
Print

Jump to: