Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Roof cracks  (Read 1556 times)
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 10:27:23 am »

JDW,

It takes a lot of moxy to own a traveling home, and more than just a little patience.  My second motorhome, from a dealer, with Cummins factory support locally, literally spent more time in the shops of the two the first year than I had use of the unit.  Turns out the engine problem was a sensor that reported low air temp to the engine computer below 50F and reset itself above that but still had a check engine light til it warmed up.  Took a year to find the "problem": Cummins never did, I found it with a can of freeze spray. Why couldn't cummins find it? My answer would be lack of experience with their own product.
That was just one of the problems in year one.  All in all, it was a unit we had a ball traveling in and there are days that I wish................

I know you will "eventually" iron out the problems and have a good run with your unit.

Good luck,
L. G.

P.S. In that unit the kitchen was on a slide and NEVER solved the potential to leak drain water because of lousy design, just replaced hoses that had to move with the slide every six months or so. 
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 12:22:55 pm »

JDW, what a mess. I feel so bad for you. As far as the keys go, you can take off the "tab" that locks the cabinet and it is not to hard to bend it, just a tad. Sometimes a pain in the rear, but it can be done. Don't know what to say about the rust but our rig made its first and only voyage on salted roads. (I think) I have rust, not bad but it's already there???? I know it is NO relief but hang in there, we will all pull for you. billy

Yes, I should have said take off the latch. ( Thanks LG) Some times the brain thinks faster then the hands can keep up with and these days that aint to fast.    Angry

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 12:49:54 pm »

Wow, I too am sorry to hear of all those issues.  I wonder how much of that could be related to the time of year it was manufactured.  Still, it should not be so.

I can relate to the exterior compartment latch issue as well.  I simply place my left hand next to the lock, then jerk my body weight there while turning the key with my other hand, all in a quick moment.  I thought that was a good thing to get a tighter pressure fit for a better seal and prevent rattling.

About rust.  I do wonder what my 2007 model year unit would look like if it was exposed to any salt spray from winter driving.  We intentionally ordered ours for production in June of 2007 to assure no salt exposure, and have none to this day, so ours still looks great.  I did notice when crawling under the RV, the main entry door step housing is rusting on the back side.  I was thinking of painting it.  The brake calipers and disks are steel and they too have a rusty color to them.  But the rest of the undercarriage looks good.

I read now and then on www.RV.net of other people who bought other "NEW" motor homes of different brands, having great rust concerns.  I wonder what's going on there.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:51:35 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
jdw

Helpful Rating: 1
________
PurchDate: 01/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Grey
ExtColor: Grey
________

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 06:21:19 pm »

We're in central Florida, so there's not a lot of road salt to be worried about.  It does feel like our PC was stored on the beach for a few months before it was delivered to us.  (Air salt is every bit as harsh as road salt.)

We keep having to have stuff shipped to us (including by PC) so leaving isn't much of an option. :-P

(My wife also asked me to clarify that my comment about burning down the Roadmaster factory is hyperbole; however much seething rage I might bear them individually and as a business, no, I would not actually do that.)

I'll consider adjusting the locks but I do worry about overdoing it and winding up with rattle.  I do want to take them all off anyway, because no two of them point/turn in the same direction. :-P

Today's little joy: my relatives' neighbors got cited by their HOA for having an RV (ours) in their driveway.  Apparently we all misread the rules.  So I can't even walk to it to work on it anymore.

Anyway, don't mind me.  I'm just venting.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: