Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Metal on metal rattle  (Read 788 times)
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:23:39 pm »

Since day one I have had a a real metal on metal rattle right over the drivers seat in my 2010 2551.  The rattle would come and go but always drove me crazy when I heard it.  I went up thru the two spot lights in the cab, got no where there.  got my fist thru the electric boxes on the right side front cabinet and fished around enough to find out there is no insulation in the nose cone at all  and several wires (12-2) run across that section, I fished some insulation in there to stop the wires from jumping around but I new I had not found my rattle.  I finally decided to remove the TV (very easy) to get a clearer view of the front cab over area even if that meant removing the paneling that runs accross behind the TV (never had to).  There is a speaker mounted for the surround sound system right below the TV in between the headliner and the base of the TV cabnet.  I was able to peak in there thru the opening to see the cut-away roof potion and the metal cross memeber that runs across the front of the roof above the windshield.  Sure enough, there was a strip of about 1/2" wide by 10" of cut steel from when the "cutaway" roof was cut that was hitting the cross memeber and giving me that metal on metal "springy" sound; it was and still is attached to what was left of the roof section and was merely the by-product of the saw process  I am sure .  I got a long screw driver and bent the piece up, back and away from any metal and the rattle has now been eliminated.   Thanks 
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 02:50:12 pm »

Good info thanks, I probably would have made a project out of it with polyfoam so other things can't move to.
Your way, was way faster.
L. G.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:54:55 pm »

You should let Kermit (the owner of Phoenix USA) know this.  He needs to tell the fellow of that process to watch out for this.  Call the factory and ask for him.  Don't be shy.  He loves phone call input.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:52:05 pm »

Thanks, great info.

I also have a 2010 2551 and have been wondering how they tapped into the TV speaker for the front speaker when the surround system was on.  Now I understand that there is a hidden speaker behind the TV.  The surround system sounds like it is coming out of the TV speaker which is located at the bottom of the TV.

I see that for 2011, there is a speaker mounted in the ceiling in front of the TV, probably the surround system front speaker, better location.  Someday I may try relocating the speaker to the ceiling in front of the TV.

Again, thanks for that info.
Bob

2010  PC 2551
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: