Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: looking for dry camping electrical tips  (Read 5028 times)
charpdotirv

Helpful Rating: 4
________
________

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2009, 10:44:24 pm »

WE've tried to reduce the electrical drain when dry camping.
We have put surge protectors ahead of the dvd player and the two tvs so they are off when not in use.

With both surge protectors turned off the remote on the inverter shows an electrical drain also the ground fault humns.Turning off the ground fault stops the hum but the inverter still shows 110 drain. Help
Can anyone provide instructions on how to fine tune the inverter?
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:50:21 pm »

You are not alone in your quest to conserve 12v battery power because shore power isn't around enough.  The general consensus is to plug the front TV, DVD player, camera chargers, cell phone chargers etc. into a power strip with an on/off switch.  This way you can kill all inverted 110v quickly, and turn it on quickly when you have external power.
Here is where I mounted a power strip.  I reconfigured the orientation of the outlets to accommodate the various wall wart power supplies.

Many things use power continuously like the antenna booster, fridge, and your invertor.  We turn off the invertor at night using the small switch on the invertor itself.  I wish there was an invertor kill switch in the battery control panel.  The fridge along with all 12v lighting gets power direct from the battery, even with the invertor turned off.  Turning off the invertor assures all 110v is dead.

I modified the invertor access door to work like a regular cabinet door with a latch.  Phoenix USA must have screwed it shut for child safety, but we have no little ones.  If we later have grand children, I will install a child safety latch.

To "Fast Charge" the batteries, I bought This Charger at Wal-Mart for $93.
Specs Here:  http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=17925

This Black & Decker charger has a 40 amp setting which the manufacturer states is recommended for RV applications.  The RV's invertor amperage is much less.   Both the invertor and B&D charger are "Smart" chargers so there shouldn't be an over-loading condition.  I am told, using both the invertor and this charger together will be both safe and effective.  I will find out first hand on our next big trip.  Many RV owners said that supplimental charging this way should help a lot during short 1 to 2 hour generator runs.

The name of the game is to never see red on the battery monitor.  To me getting a solid yellow means danger..."Turn On The Generator And Get Out The 40 amp charger".  If the battery indicator on the RV goes yellow/red, you are too late to build up adequate reserves in short time.  If it goes solid red, you are in real big trouble.  We went solid red and our fridge was going dead on us over-night, even after being plugged in at a private campground the night prior.

Once we got back home, it took nearly 3 weeks on a 10 amp charger to get them fully charged..  Never again do I want to see red on that indicator.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:49:43 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
charpdotirv

Helpful Rating: 4
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:10:55 pm »

Thanks Ron

We have our tv's and the DVD player on power cords so off is off. We still have a 110 drain ( (WH)per the leds on right side of remote).

The ground fault recp hums. I have turned off the recp and the hum goes away. Should I replace the recp?

The inverter still shows a 110 drain with the ground fault off.

We have a 100 watt solar panel on the roof. It has a controller to prevent overcharging.

I'm going to contact Tripp-Lite to see if they have a remote off/on switch.

Irv ThankYou
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:51:19 pm »

What year and model do you have?

My 2007 2350 has a Trpp-Lite panel with the right side LEDs saying
GREEN - Line Charge Only
YELLOW - Inverting
RED - Heavy Load

I had assumed the right side yellow invertor light is simply stating that 110v is being supplied by the batteries.  Not neccessarity that 110v is being consumed by appliances.

Maybe Kermit or one of his team will step in here and clear the air on this one.

One day I would like to add a nice rocker switch on the panel to turn on and off, the invertor.  This so I don't have to open the door and reach inside and feel for that little switch.  I think the invertor has accomodation for a remote mounted on/off switch.

With our 2350, the invertor is close by the bed and likes to run it's cooling fan at times, which disturbs me at night.  It is also consuming some amount of battery power.  If I don't need 110V overnight, I want to shut down the invertor.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:18:46 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 09:20:25 am »

Hi Irv, (charpdotirv)

You will be "Very" interested in this as it specifically resolves 100% of the trouble we both have, with great ease too.
Click Here---> http://phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php?topic=73.0
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 09:33:14 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: