Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Magne Shades  (Read 2626 times)
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 40
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2011, 02:28:25 pm »

With some hesitation, we bought the Magne Shades that PC is now offering when we picked up our new PC in December:

http://phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php?topic=314.msg1491#msg1491

But we wouldnt hesitate again. They do look good and, as advertised, dramatically reduce heat in the cabin, especially when facing in the sun. And you can see out but no one can see in. Plus we found a couple of additional benefits. You can put the driver and passenger side windows down with the shades on and get a breeze through the cab area. The result is absolutely no difference in temperature in the cab area from the rest of the coach.

And when storing the coach, the covers will mount inside the windows (with a little effort for the front cover). Theres just enough metal on the doors for the side window shades to hold at the top. For the front window, the two top magnets will hold the cover along with the sun visors, tucking the bottom in along the dashboard. That way, no exterior cover is needed when storing the coach. I added heavy duty adhesive felt pads on the inside of the two top window magnets to help when removing the cover from the inside because the magnets are very, very strong. The initial installation is straight forward. Putting them on and removing them is easy and quick. Heres a YouTube video installing on a Class A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5KOwlH8ms&feature=related

On the Ford, however, only four magnets are needed one on each corner even simpler.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:09:11 pm by aimee » Logged

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:28:34 pm »

I bought them as well when we picked up our 2010 2552 earlier this month.
They promise to be of great advantage.

However, although I did think they might fit inside also, it's good to read this post.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:38:46 am by rmmpe » Logged

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:20:02 pm »

I had the same thing on my old mh except they were not see through.  I am wondering do they block light at night so that you would not have to pull those stupid curtain across the window? I liked the solid ones in the fact that they kept the coach dark at night.

David

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
GoPhoenix

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:59:58 am »

At night, you can see through from outside depending on the inside lighting. With low light and the TV on, you can see only dim shapes. With overhead lights on, you can see inside fairly well, though darkened. I still close the front curtain at night. Dont want to show off for the ladies puttin my jammies on. Blush

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:27:45 am »

Thank you gophoenix  us guys appreciate it also.  rolling on the floor

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:32:06 pm »

That is what I thought. Thanks for the reply. I guess I will get my solid ones again.

David

Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:38:57 pm »

Actually, I use both.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
jdw

Helpful Rating: 1
________
PurchDate: 01/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
IntColor: Grey
ExtColor: Grey
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 05:43:45 pm »

I confess I went in a different direction with this wrap-around windshield cover from Camping World.

It fits our 2350 quite well. 

I do think the three separate pieces, like PC offers, would be easier to put up and take down.  What pushed me in the other direction is that the wraparound design, while a bit of a hassle to put up / take down / fold up, stays in place like a champ, even in high winds.  I also liked that it has 100% opaque covers.  As somebody else already mentioned, "you can see out but they can't see in" just isn't quite dependable enough when you're changing clothes at night.  During the day, we can roll the covers down and it's probably quite similar to the PC shades.  Do we still have curtains?  I forgot.

One caveat though, if you get the one we've got, you can throw away the nice little zipper bag it comes in, because once it comes out, it's never going back in there.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 06:46:58 pm »

We bough out windshield cover from Camping World. It is solid with two windows in the front. When I open the windows it has the see one way screen in them. Open in the morning, close in the evening. Works for us. 

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
pyrthkr
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 07:46:03 pm »

I have the same windshield cover as Tom (from Camper World) & I use it exclusively instead of messing with the accordian screen inside.  It's just part of my set up & tear down routine now.
 cool
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 09:06:27 am »

I guess I still like the solid ones.  I really can't explain (especially with the words I really want to use) on this site how I hate, hate, hate those accordian window shades. The window cover will make those curtains obsolete, thank God. Heart Shower

David

GoPhoenix

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:41:04 am »

Weve had motorhomes for over 25 years.  During that time, weve gone through a lot of the wrap-around vinyl window covers.  In our experience, they only last about two years, three years tops.  Then they turn brittle and yellow, crack, and curl at the edges.  Then three years ago we experienced some high winds.  The flapping magnetic corners damaged the paint and the Velcro straps at the mirrors broke.  Also, theyre a bit of a pain to put on.  We did take a vinyl cover with us camping once years ago.  It made the cab area very dark and, of course, you cant see out the front window.  We never did that again.  If Im inside, I enjoy sitting in the recliner watching all the activity outside including at night while watching TV since no one can really see me.

For us at least, the Magna Shades solves all those problems.  Theyre easy to install, keep the coach cool, look great (especially the black color), and you can see through them.  And most important of all, my wife loves them.  Plus, since they will also mount inside, theyll work when storing the coach.  Also, Im confident theyll last as long, and probably longer, than well own this coach.  At bedtime, we just pull the front curtains as we always have for the past four years in our prior PC.  Frankly, I dont understand the problem with the curtains.  You can open or close them in less than 30 seconds and they work well.

In the end, of course, its what ever works best for you that counts.

aimee
Administrator
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 61
________
Model: 2100
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 12:37:43 pm »

Thanks for posting this!  I was just about to upload your photos for everyone to take a look-see, and I found this!   Cheers

Aimee, Webmistress
GoPhoenix

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 02:37:17 pm »

Your welcome amiee.  Im going to have to partially back off on mounting the Magne Shade covers on the inside.  After a week, the front cover fell taking the magnets with it.  The magnets were simple to put back.  So I bought a shield for the front window, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002L6KQK, which works great.  Still use the Magne Shades on the inside for the side windows.  Now I have no exterior window covers.  A little peace-of-mind during the high winds and rain weve had this week.  Just e-mail me if youd like the original, high resolution pictures.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: