Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Suspension and handling  (Read 2915 times)
BillRo

Helpful Rating: 9
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: April 2005
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 04
Slide: Yes
ExtColor: White/Blue
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 12:30:00 pm »

This discussion about alignment is interesting. From 2350 experience I know that a correct alignment is important for proper steering response and to avoid premature and damaging irregular front tire wear. Clearly the chassis builder does a basic alignment, but that is no good once the coach is installed. Phoenix could do an alignment but the rig would be unloaded and again the alignment would be inaccurate. It should be emphasised that a new owner should load his rig and get an alignment as soon as possible after purchase. Perhaps Phoenix could give new owners a credit for this; unless we can swing one of these "under warranty" deals. It takes a little searching to find a truck place set up to do alignments on a motor home, but it is something that needs to be done.

BillRo
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 03:44:54 pm »

You are right BillRo.  An alignment is critical, and critical to be done loaded for a trip, which the factory could never simulate.  And the shop that can handle the task adequately are hard to find.  My local shop does motor homes as one specialty, trucks and buses too.  They have various specialty parts and also bushings on display to help explain things for customers.  They go through various alignment scenarios, and how they adjust for such extremes that the chassis itself cannot be adjusted far enough without such special parts.

The shop told me to go on a weekend get-away, making sure we include everything we typically take along.  When we get back home, leave everything inside, but be sure the gray and black tanks are empty, and the fresh water tank is full as that is the most common travel mode.  Also fill the propane tank and main 55 gallon gas tank.  He also said it wouldn't hurt to place heavy weights behind the driver and passenger seats to simute the two of us in those seats.  His alignment is then done with that weight placement on the chassis and also considers a 1/4" road lean to the right curb which is the national standard for water run-off.  It all made sense to me.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: