Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: storage solutions  (Read 1119 times)
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 09/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2011, 08:45:59 pm »

Hi Y'all:

My wife and I here working on our trip to Yellowstone with our two boys.  I have not been there since I was 8!  Can't wait.  Anyway, we are wondering about all the clothes and foodstuffs we need to take and how to pack it all. I have seen some of your pictures but I am wondering how you all store you stuff?  We are going for 3 weeks and not towing our toad.  Ideas?  I intend to take lots of pictures and will post some for Aimee so she can show that the Phoenix is for families of all ages?

Thanks

David

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:34:50 am »

Yellowstone is my favorite destination. For a great write up about Yellowstone and how to get there go to http://www.rvcruzer.com/ystoneindex.php This gentleman is on the iRV2.com site and I have to agree with everything he has to say about this fascinating place.

One thing I tell my wife every time we head out on a long trip is that the people in that area eat and do laundry also. We plan for one weeks supply of food and clothes. Then we look for a grocery store and a Laundromat, normally at a campground. We put our dirty clothes into a hanging clothes bag and then when that get full into a plastic trash bag that I store in the right rear compartment until laundry day.

If you have any questions about what to see on the way out and while there, please feel free to ask away. On the way out I would suggest thinking about stops at the Corn Palace in Mitchel, SD (1hr) and Wall Drug in Wall SD (the western version of South of the Boarder) (2hrs), Devils tower (2hrs if you walk around the tower)  and Cody in Wy. Buffalo Bills museum (4-8 hrs) is well worth the time for everyone in your party. You can research these stops on the internet. At Yellowstone you will want to spend several days touring Old Faithfull, the mud pots, geysers, the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone (don't miss this one) and in the northern part of the park, Mammoth Hot Springs. Also plan on going through the Grand Tetons just south of Yellowstone.

When are you planning on going and what do you already have on your list to see and do?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:45:47 am by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
jdw

Helpful Rating: 1
________
PurchDate: 01/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Grey
ExtColor: Grey
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 11:25:40 am »

One of our happiest storage solutions has been these watertight totes.  The "watertight" nature makes them very suitable for storing even delicate things in the right storage bay without worrying about invasions from bugs or weather, and all the clips mean they stay closed no matter how much vibration there is or how much suspension work hasn't been done.  I believe my wife is using them for clothes, but I would probably use them for food storage if needed.  (Since you have two boys, it's hard to tell which one you'll need more of... boys go through both so fast. Smile ) I'm not an expert on bear food attacks though.

The size we are using (I'd have to measure, we bought some of each for putting certain belongings not going into storage) fits right into the storage bay either two across or two high.  To get them two high requires removing the little bar that the swing-up panel clips on to.  I actually took it out to get the bed board up, but it made so much more storage down there that I just left it out.  (It's basically a cross piece that runs the length of the cabinet and stops you from using the top 3 inches or so.)

With that change, the two sealed totes fit in the back half of the bay like they were born for it.  You could probably get three in there, but not four, as the mouth isn't quite as wide as the interior.
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 12:14:08 pm »

Hello David, a good place to see some great ideas are in the Tips and Tricks. Go thru and check some of the mods these folks made. Lots of clever people here.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 27
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 01:26:40 pm »

Agree with Tom--use space for clothes instead of extra food, buy as you go.  The laundry facilities inside Yellowstone are very good and close to the campground.  We also use the shower for extra storage--things that can be easily moved when we want to use the shower for a shower.  I removed the speaker from under the bed, and used that area for extra storage, too, until I installed an accumulator tank there.  The space behind the sofa (if you have the sofa) can be used for coats and clothes.  The space under the bottom drawers can be used for flat/folded items.  With 2 boys, your space needs are a LOT bigger than ours--but we have found we really don't need to take as much stuff as we think we need.  Yellowstone is one of my favorite places, and I know you will all have a great time.  There were several road construction delays last year, but we used the time to enjoy the scenery.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 01:08:37 pm »

Yep, I agree with all the info shared.  Don't bring more than one week worth of clothes.  Don't stock up on food either.

4 people in any 2350 would be tight.  Without a tow vehicle to store extra stuff in, I would surely consider something like this for the lighter weighted stuff.

This particular one comes in a couple colors, offers 34 cubic feet, and telescopes away from the vehicle to allow you to open the PC rear storage hatch.  Personally, for me, I'd rather spend the same money to setup a tow vehicle and use that to store the extra stuff inside.
CLICK HERE FOR THE WEBSITE

Here It Is In The "EXTENDED" Position.

For heavier stuiff, you may need to consider something like this with containers.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:14:16 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 03:31:26 pm »

Thanks all:

Ron: I do have my jeep liberty set up for towing, however I would rather not tow that if I could.  This trip is going to be 3 weeks and a few days and a lot of our stops are going to be hit and go, so I think I can do with out the toad.  Besides it will save on fuel.

David

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 04:55:46 pm »

Thanks all:

Ron: I do have my jeep liberty set up for towing, however I would rather not tow that if I could.  This trip is going to be 3 weeks and a few days and a lot of our stops are going to be hit and go, so I think I can do with out the toad.  Besides it will save on fuel.  David
With our 2007 2350 towing our Jeep Liberty 4000 miles from Chicago to Jasper Alberta and back at around 70mph, we averaged 9.2mpg.  You towing the same, should see better if you slow down to 60-65mph max, even considering the extra weight of 4 people.

Leaving your Liberty home will force you to drive the PC 100% of the time.  Your average fuel economy will drop like a tank given every move will be on roads less than ideal for a motor home.  Between all the steep grades, very slow winding curves at various speed, and even some traffic, you'll be doing worse over-all compared to the fuel lost in towing your Liberty.  Your kids won't see much either from the "limited view" of the PC windows.  I advise to tow the Liberty to benefit of storage, mobiity, child sight-seeing views, and combined fuel savings.  Not fuel loss.

We do on-the-go vacationing all the time, often staying in places a night or two, so I understand your comment of "hit and go".  But the tow vehicle "STILL" makes it work so much better.  Your first primitive road with limited vehicle length and you'll be saying...."Why did we leave the Liberty home?"  Also your kids will be saying....."What Buffalo?  We can't see anything from back here!"

Regardless of your decision, keep close track of your fuel consumption averaged from the entire trip and see how you did.  You only need to write down the starting odometer reading at home with a full tank of gas, write down the gallons to the 10th gallon purchased thereafter.  Then once back home, fill up one last time and right down the mileage again.  Calculate from there.  It wil provide an extremely accuate figure.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:57:58 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 07:00:26 pm »

People would ask what kind of milage we got in that big class A. I told one fellow we got 22 mpg. He was kinda of shock. Then I told him we had one heck of a tail wind and Sharon was in the toad pushing.    rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 07:28:46 pm »

On the subject of towing or not, I have to disagree with Ron in this case. Last Labor day when we went to Yellowstone, we did not tow our Jeep liberty and I was very glad we did not. With the great distances we were traveling each day, we did not want to have to return to the same campground to get the motorhome. Parking was hard enough to find, especially at a bear jam, for the PC and would have been impossible with a toad. For those who don't know what a bear jam is, it is when someone spots a bear and pulls over to the side of the road to watch it. Very soon several more cars will also pull over, going in both directions. You end up with the road being jammed while everyone watches the bear. It also happens for other animals like wolves and coyotes.
    The main advantage of the smaller motorhome is the ability to take it anywhere you want to go. I have only found a couple of roads I could not go on both because of low overpasses. They were both in Pennsylvania.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 07:50:24 pm »

I have to disagree with Ron in this case.
So there you have it, polar opposite opinions.  Cry

mciai2000
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:48:22 pm »

well, it seems we all agree on one thing. Our toads are jeep liberty's!!!

GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 40
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 04:15:40 pm »

Attached are pics of the storage containers I have used for the past four years.  Larger containers, $3 at Dollar General; smaller containers, $1 at Dollar General.  Inexpensive and effective.  Also the tool box shown fits well, $15.49 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IOAJ04.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:13:31 pm by aimee » Logged

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: