Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Eval. of first 2552  (Read 798 times)
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 45
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2011, 02:56:03 am »

We first purchase a 2010 2350 with a dinette and no slide and at Stuarts recommendation, they replaced the barrel chair with another auto seat so we had a seat to secure a baby seat for our granddaughter.  We decided after several months the corner bed was not for us.  So, after talking to Stuart about a 2551 we found it was not long enough for our required third auto seat behind the passenger seat for our granddaughter.  Stuart and Kermit came up with lengthening the body by one foot to make room for the extra seat, thereby evolving a 2551 into a 2552.  The logistics of this design change is quite involved.  All of your wire harnesses and water lines are all changed by that extra length and not inconsequential, the roof, walls, floor and Ford frame have to be made longer.  So, I am very impressed that a manufacturer would go to this extent for a customer and my hat is off to PC for their customer service.
     We have now been on a trip of 4000 miles.  These are my observations of the 2552's (slide and couch) performance.  The unit is much smoother riding which is representative of a longer wheel base and because it is smoother it is also quieter inside.  Some of the noise inside while traveling in the 2350 we found was created by the table leg on the dinette.  To curtail that noise we put the table in the bed position and put the cushions on it.
  I find the engine/transmission does not shift, or hunt for the proper gear, as often as the 2350 did.  I attribute this to the rear axle gear of 4.56 in the 2552 vs. 4.10 in the 2350 even though the 2552 is heavier. The third auto seat is also handy for the passenger if you want to sit out of the sun and you can use the passenger seat for a foot rest.  
     There is a negative as a result of the longer wheel base.  Your turning radius increases, so you need to plan where you are going to park or get gas.  You must allow for the extra length when turning and not do what I saw a Class A driver do.  He turned too early and planted a 4" steel post in the middle of the side of his unit.  
     We found gas mileage to be very similar to the 2350, maybe one mile per gallon difference.  Driving around 65 on the Interstates and some town travel gave us the average of 8.5 MPG.  We did get 10.5 while drafting through Los Angeles traffic.  I say drafting because you are always drafting in L.A.  Leave a space and someone will fill it.  We had a low of 7.5 going up the Columbia River in a strong head wind.  
     We did bite the bullet and replace the Eclipse/Tom-Tom system with a Kenwood radio with XM and Garmin GPS. Costly, but well worth it.  With the recommendation of the Kenwood installer, we will sell the Eclipse system on E-Bay.
     I replaced the fixed heater vent in the bathroom with an adjustable one.  I find I need to use a clothespin to keep it where I want it.  When it heats up it blows closed, but it does force more heat to the front.  I also replaced the shower levers with knobs.  I kept hitting the levers and going to either extreme heat or cold.  Knobs work great and purchased them at Lowes.
     So far, the only problem we have is with a water leak in the rear outside compartment and we are working Kermit to locate the problem.  Only two items I will add at this time will be a front steering stabilizer and a rear trac-bar.  With the fresh water tank mounted over the rear axle you do not get the pendulum affect  as you do with the water being all the way in the rear as on the 2350, but with the transfer to the holding tanks you still need some help, thereby the trac-bar.  Do not see the need for heavier anti-sway bars at this time.
     I use my ladder to check the roof and found it is really handy to keep the back-up camera clean, one rainstorm and it needs cleaning.
Love the slide-out, so much more room.  Would not be without it.  Makes a nice area for the Granddaughter to play in when we take a break and room for adults to stretch out and relax.
    Bob  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:48:58 pm by aimee » Logged
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:37:31 am »

Excellent review.  I am sure people who are considering a 2551 will find your post invaluable.

For me personally, if I were to consider a 2551 for it's twin beds, I'd surely jump into a 2552.  At only one foot longer, it offers that 3rd living area seat and pantry.  Me being a non-slider fellow, I'd utilize the extra wall space and get the captain seat dinette like Gradygal-Judi did with their 2551.  I really like that comfy dinette, though I would miss the storage of the bench dinette we have today wondering where would all that critical stuff would go.

I would also give thought to a 2950 & 3100 but they add a lot more length.  When does one say "The RV got too long for me!".

Our PC had to fit inside our 25'-0" depth garage.  That consideration along with the need to sleep together in the same "permanent" bed, the 2350 works for us.  Yes we wrestle into bed with it's limited access, but well worth that one inconvenience.

About the shower.  I was thinking of replacing my white plastic shower faucet with a nicer one with handles.  Thanks for sharing your troubles with handles.  I will keep what I have.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:40:38 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 295
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:52:21 pm »

Bob
Found your evaluation of the 2552 to be very helpful and informative.  We currently have a 2008 2350 and are looking at either a 2551 or 2552.  Finale decision will likely be based upon being able to get the unit in and out of the garage.

We got a front end alignment at a frame shop, added a rear track bar and Bilstein shocks (front only) to our 2350 and it ended driving like an F150 with a cap.

Have you considered the benefits of a front end alignment and upgraded shocks this may eliminate the need for a steering stabilizer, just a thought?

My wife wants to know if you have used the Half Time oven and how you like it.

Barry & Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
gl1500

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:15:49 pm »

Barry-Sue,
     The half time oven feature works very well.  I followed the directions exactly and the pork chops were done to perfection.  I was tempted to let them cook longer but I checked and they were done.  It really speeds up dinner. Next I want to try the multi food cooking feature.  On our 2350, we had the front end aligned at a specialty shop.  They had to use special shims (not uncommon) to bring it in spec.  The steering stabilizer helps in gusty winds, large trucks passing and bad irregularities on the road bed.  We will definitely get the front end checked as you can see the camber is off.
     One thing I forgot is the extra storage area in the 2552 vs. the 2350 and that is inside and out.
    Nancy/Bob
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:55:40 am by gl1500 » Logged
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:30:24 am »

What steering stabilizer did you use?

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
gl1500

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 01:27:18 pm »

Gradygal,
     I used the Safe-T-Plus.  One other item I have also added is the ScanGuage.  It is a multi-function vehicle performance monitor.  It performs engine evaluations and lets you know the Code if you have a problem.  My main use is as a trip monitor to maintain efficient gas mileage usage, especially at the increasing price of fuel.  After calibration, which is easy to do, I will be able to see fuel used and time or distance to empty, plus the speed to drive for the best fuel economy.  There are many more personal selections available so you can tailor the readout for your own personal needs.  Most of the new cars come with this type program.  All you need to do is connect the wire harness plug to your OBDII connector which is below the steering wheel.  Picture enclosed is my installation.
     Bob    
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:49:20 pm by aimee » Logged
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 07:32:45 pm »

Bob, you said  "I also replaced the shower levers with knobs.  I kept hitting the levers and going to either extreme heat or cold.  Knobs work great and purchased them at Lowes"
I' ve had my faucets apart,  they have an odd shape inner handle, when looking at them they kinda fit inside the L shaped handle. Were yours like this. I also keep hitting the levers.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
gl1500

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:13:25 pm »

Billy,
     My levers I believe are the same as yours.  I removed the outer lever and the inner plastic lever.  The knob I replaced them with has a flat spot where it matches up with the valve shaft.  Works perfect.  Use the original long screw.  Pictures attached show the two parts I took off the original (sitting on top of the valve) and the container the replacement knobs I purchased from Lowes came in.  Hope this helps.
    Bob
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:49:45 pm by aimee » Logged
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 07:18:53 pm »

Thank you very much, very kind of you to take that handle off. Above and beyond. Tomorrow we make a run to wally world and will go by the hard ware store. I too hit the hot water and never knew I could move that fast.    Angry

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: