Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oxidation  (Read 1534 times)
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 75
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2011, 08:11:35 am »

Weve owned our new PC less than six months and already have oxidation problems.  As per picture, the chrome on the spare tire cover latch is oxidizing and the chrome covers where the door assist handle attaches are doing the same thing.  Also, the eight screws on the ladder hinges have flat-out rusted.  How to fix?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:12:09 pm by aimee » Logged

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
Trudy

Helpful Rating: 8
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1-10
Model: 2950
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 10:39:16 am »

Our PC is an '06 and (unfortunately) has always had to be stored outside, but we have none of the pitted look your chrome handle has. We do have quite a few rusted screws though.

Trudy
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 73
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 10:59:12 am »

The screws in the ladder, I replaced with Stainless Steel screws and drilled holes in all four black ladder hinges. There was water in mine. Do not know what to say about the spare tire latch, sorry.

http://phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php?topic=430.0
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:01:40 am by billy » Logged

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 289
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Green&Gray Cherry
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 11:59:16 am »

I have felt your pain.   I personally do not have this problem with my 2007 as it is stored indoors during nasty Chicago winters.  BUT our old motor home HERE was so small it was our second car for it's first 5 years.  We drove it year round back then so it seen a good amount of salty winter driving.  The RV hardware got all messed up from the salt very quickly, just like you are showing.  I had a very hard time maintaining it.  I found a very good waxing in the fall on all that hardware helped a lot.  I also visited those do-it-yourself car washes a lot, just to rinse off the salt spray.  As others have shared, I did replace all the hardware I could, with stainless which helped a whole lot in general appearance.

That corrosion problem is one big reason why our trips with our PC to date are done in spring/summer/fall.  And remembering the hardware corrosion trouble (and little water leaks from such screw holes) with my old motor home, I told PC-USA to leave the roof rack and ladder off, just placing them inside the RV in pieces.  So that stuff is stored at home, maybe of value to the person I one day sell the motor home to.

What worries me more with corrosion, is all the hidden stuff under the chassis.  There is all kinds of wiring, fittings, etc, etc, that I think will get messed up much worse than the spare tire handle.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:24:06 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron & Irene Dittmer, 2007 Model 2350, Ordered Without A Slideout
GoPhoenix

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:47:53 pm »

Thanks, for the replies.  Our PC is stored outside.  But what concerns me is that we picked it up new in December, 2010 and has never been driven on roads with salt.  In fact, accept for the trip from the factory, it hasnt been driven at all until two months ago.  As for salt air, we live in Ohio no salt air here.  And our 2007 PC never had this kind of oxidation, even after four years.  Doesnt look promising.  sad

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 196
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 01:04:59 pm »

Why don't you email your pictures to Kermit and see what he has to say? Can't hurt.

Current PC: 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC: 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 44
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:53:35 pm »

Hi:

I would e-mail Amanda or Kermit.  I suspect those parts are made by a outside supplier and may have a had a problem with the batch.  I am sure they would send you new parts. It can't be that difficult to replace. As far as the screws go, get stainless and replace them.  Takes about 15 minutes. I am not sure why the manufacturer of the ladder did not use them in the first place.  Probably made in China. lol. Our PC is stored inside too, but much of our farm equipment stays outside and I  can tell you without a doubt that weather and acid rain play havoc with any steal/chrome/metal and moving parts. Unfortunately that is the downside of outside storage. Farm equipment costs much more than a pc and is designed for hard use and wear but Mother Nature still harms it.

David

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
rannan5050

Helpful Rating: 0
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Oct. 2010
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2009
IntColor: umber
ExtColor: umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:59:47 pm »

My 2009 PC is doing the same. Must be cheap parts. Let us know if Kermit helps out with this problem. If he does I will also give him a call!
GoPhoenix

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 11:19:01 am »

We made one last trip to the factory while still under warranty.  They replaced the rusted screws and the oxidized spare tire latch, and fixed a couple of other minor things quickly, no charge.  Good people.  Stuart suggested just buying a new one we didnt even dare look.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: