Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2552 Outside Rear Compartment Leak  (Read 481 times)
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 59
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:59:54 am »

A while back I noted I had a leak in the rear compartment where the electrical cord is stored.  After much searching, and sealing what looked like areas water could get in, I found two actual leak sources.  Speaking to PC they thought the most obvious leak prone area would be the rear window.  Taped it off, still had a leak.  Finally found one of the lights across the top of the coach at the rear had about a 1" partially unsealed area.  Ran water in that area and verified the leak appeared in the rear compartment.  Sealed that, but found in next rain storm still had water in the compartment.  After looking with flashlight and mirror I found the coaches part of the doors metal frame has a bulb rubber seal that compresses against the fiberglass of the body providing a seal and it is reinforced with silicon sealer when set in place.  The problem is that the opening cut out in the fiberglass body was irregular and oversized in the lower corner on the drivers side, with a similar situation on the other lower corner but not as bad.  This problem was reinforced with inadequate caulking allowing water to leak in around the rubber seal.  I found this rubber seal had water on it when it rained and was in the location of the leaking water.  So I drilled out the rivets, removed the old caulking, cleaned the area, added caulking to adequately seal the area and riveted the frame back in place.  I also added two more rivets in the curved part of the lower corner to pull it in tight against the caulking.  I am fairly confident that my leaking rear compartment is no more.  But, to be sure I will check it after the next rain, tomorrow with my garden hose.   Bob   
Trudy

Helpful Rating: 8
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1-10
Model: 2950
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 09:36:36 am »

Wow, you were diligent. Sure hope that takes care of the problem. Sounds like a lot of work.

Btw, I love the Desert Green paint on your PC. If we had been able to buy new, that would have been my choice! (I know everyone wanted to know that!)  Grin

Trudy
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 11:48:22 am »

Desert Green, Thanks Trudy.      Cheer Cheer Cheer

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Trudy

Helpful Rating: 8
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1-10
Model: 2950
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 06:49:04 pm »

That's what you have too Billy? I'm so jealous! They are all pretty, but that one really caught my eye. I'm green with envy!!  rolling on the floor

Trudy
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 03:11:58 pm »

A follow up to my leaks.  I mis-stated that I ran water in the upper rear light to see where it would go.  I used alcohol because I knew it would evaporate after the check.  To check for a leak after the repair, I put my cd movie camera in the compartment away from the leak area and a battery operated floodlight.  If there was a leak I wanted to see where it was coming from.  Closed the door and gave it the acid test with a hose.  No leak.  As we had another rain overnight, verified no more water.  I had to cut away some caulk on the floor to outside wall as mold and mildew were developing.  Will replace caulk after a good drying out.  Hopefully that is finally fixed.   Bob  P.S.  We love the Desert Sage (Green)  The local Ford Dealer calls it Greenish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: