Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CB placement in Ford cab  (Read 1786 times)
wmillis

Helpful Rating: 0
________
________

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2011, 08:33:42 am »

We just bought our second PC, a 2552. I am trying to figure out where to locate my CB so that it is out of the way. We seldom use it and typically use it only when tied up in traffic and we are trying to hear what the truckers are saying about the situation. In the last one we put it in the lower opening of the center console but that usues up the convienent space. Also our installer said that the only real solution was to mount a magnetic antenna on the hood, a location that looks sort of like Bubba installed it. I would like to hear from others about how they have set up their CB. Bill Help
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
Slide: Yes
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 10:53:56 am »

We purchased a hand-held from Radio Shack. The Cruiser being mostly fiberglass, there is not a really good "Ground Plane" for an antenna. We use our when traveling with others.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 10:41:46 pm »

The Ford hood is fiberglass.  At least my 2007 is.  So a magnetic antenna would not work anywhere on a Ford PC.

I'd opt for a hand held CB radio too.  You could then take it other places and switch vehicles too, ideal for a tow vehicle situation.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 38
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 03:38:59 pm »

The Ford hood is fiberglass.  At least my 2007 is.  So a magnetic antenna would not work anywhere on a Ford PC.

Dayum, I would have bet a hundred bucks my '07 hood was steel without going to look. Just did, Ron ye know the PC up, down, sideways.  Gotta vote with you on the portable too.  The only problem may be that some of the portables I have seen have a magnetic mount antenna, may have to stop and attach it to a stop sign.  I had a GE portable that plugged into the cigarette lighter with a mag-mount antenna and it would out perform a lot of the permanent ones with fixed antenna.  PRS radios seem to work well in groups settings, if you can get the group to buy compatible units or at least teach each other how to get on a common channel.  Better straight line range, less interference and static.
Three weeks in on the jack repair and no joy.

L. G.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 04:51:57 pm »

My 2010 Ford E-450 has the hood and fenders are made of stamped steel. I did not know that Ford made any vans with fiberglass hoods. It is very interesting what one learns on here.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 05:45:52 pm »

Dayum, I would have bet a hundred bucks my '07 hood was steel without going to look. Just did......L. G.
I heard the hood went fiberglass long before I ever owned a PC.  I think the fiberglass hood goes back many years.

My dad owned an 87 Ford Econoline van and his hood rusted from the inside out fairly quickly.  It was a common problem on many.  Maybe Ford changed to fiberglass for that reason.

At least bugs and hail bounce off it better  Smile
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:47:23 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 38
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 08:45:35 pm »

I heard the hood went fiberglass long before I ever owned a PC.  I think the fiberglass hood goes back many years.

[/quote]

Back in the day ('60's), Sox and Martin had a 'glass hood on their drag cars and the Thunderbolts did too IIRC, along with most of the special production mustangs, cougars, torino's and a few I disremember their names..  Interesting story. Several of those go fast factory sponsored drag cars ended up here in town with a couple that were supposed to have been crushed by Ford at the Dearborn developmental lab.  Strange how they escaped, with good titles even, very strange.
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
Model: 2552
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 09:45:05 pm »

Okay, I will go with the dayum too.  Except I will use that phrase for all the reference of times long ago...You guys really make me feel like the  puppy here..  On my Ford truck we installed the antenna for the cb on the sideview mirror just like the truckers do. They make attachments for this purpose. I am sure if you google this you can find them. A cb is my next purchase on my long list of wants...

David

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:42:46 am »

I use the handheld Cobra 75WXST with a Firestik NGP (no ground plate) Antenna:

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/firestik-cb-antenna-110/ngp-side-mount-kit-firestik-cb-antenna-kit-300.html

I installed the antenna myself on our first Cruiser, running the antenna wire under the trim behind the drivers seat.  Pictured here on our second Cruiser, the antenna was installed at the factory during construction.  I then connected the antenna wire to the Remote Connector Box placed under the drivers seat.  The power wire is run under the floor mat to the fuse box.  The CB cord runs out to the right from under the seat.  Works great.  Listen to traffic problems, trucker politics and keep up with the weather.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:54:44 am by aimee » Logged

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
JackD

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: May 2012
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ExtColor: Platinum
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:16:38 am »

Billy --- Did you (or anyone else) ever use the Cobra hand held without the Firestick (additional antenna)?  I'm wondering how the performance would be?

Thanks,

Jack
charpdotirv

Helpful Rating: 4
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 11:58:50 pm »

We have a firestik no ground plane antenna on the curbside of the roof on our 2900 PC. It tuned great. It is 13.5" tall with a special 15' no ground plane cable.

The CB is the Cobra all in one. Speaker and all controls are in the handset so very little space is taken for the CB.

We also have a Wilson Cell phone amplifier with a Wilson short antenna on the street side of the roof to enhance our cell phone reception. 
JackD

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: May 2012
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ExtColor: Platinum
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 03:30:02 pm »

Thanks --- that answers my dumb question...
Jack
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 08:37:41 pm »

Antennas, Antennas, Antennas are a funny bread. Wilson is a ham radio operator. Antennas don't like metal, don't like to be mounted lower the the metal cab, fiberglass, I don't know. Had a friend mounted on the right front fender and asked me to check the SWR's, they were high, I tied a string to the antenna, he keyed the radio, I pulled the antenna away from the fender and the SWR's went down. Antennas don't like being mounted next to metal as on the rail of a truck bed next to the cab.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
budg

________
PurchDate: 08/2007
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 03:15:43 pm »

We just bought our second PC, a 2552. I am trying to figure out where to locate my CB so that it is out of the way. We seldom use it and typically use it only when tied up in traffic and we are trying to hear what the truckers are saying about the situation. In the last one we put it in the lower opening of the center console but that usues up the convienent space. Also our installer said that the only real solution was to mount a magnetic antenna on the hood, a location that looks sort of like Bubba installed it. I would like to hear from others about how they have set up their CB. Bill Help
budg

________
PurchDate: 08/2007
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 03:21:26 pm »

1518 Mon 13 June 2011  Balt

I suggest that you use a center loaded antenna (Hustler mod RG-27 for CB) on a mirror-arm mount.  I have a 2006 PC 2400 and I am using a Hustler on 2m mounted on a truck mirror mount and it works well.  W3DOT
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: