Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RV to Car Battery Charger  (Read 1083 times)
Simple Song

Helpful Rating: 9
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July 2009
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2010 PC2400
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:46:44 pm »

Anyone installed a line from their PC to dinghy for battery charging ?  Our Honda battery gets enemic after one day of towing with brake system and is usually dead half way through the second day.  Have to remember to run it each night after towing.
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:35:05 pm »

I  ran a 10ga wire to mine and change the plug from a ? to a 7.  Only problem I had was feedback and cured that with a diode blocker in the toad.  It has worked well for several trips now and I most times don't turn off the car or the brake system overnight when only staying the night.  Always starts, as far as I can tell, normally for the pre-leaving lubrication, next morning.  Before I put in the blocking diode I ran things down a couple of trips.
Hope this helps.

L. G. 
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:44:26 pm »

Our secondary braking system has 6 wires from the motor home to the tow vehicle.  One of them is an extra hot wire to the secondary braking system in the tow vehicle, therefore leaving the tow vehicle battery alone.

If your tow vehicle's electrical cable has only 4 wires as most do, you can utilize the RV ignition switched hot wire from the RV connector.  Utilizing power from the RV would require you to either replace your 4 wire cable with a 6 wire, or add a second cable.  Either way, you'll be running the hot wire from the RV to the secondary braking system.  All the wiring modifications are on the cable and tow vehicle, no modifications to the RV wiring because it's right there in back in that big 7 wire round connector.

I just been through all this last July installing a US Gear Unified Tow Brake System.  The Unified installation wiring diagram CLICK HERE should help clarify my description.  The RV hot wire is the red 14 guage wire labelled umbilical cord.  It illustrates a separate 2 wire cable, but I changed my 4 wire to a 6 wire to eliminate the extra cable.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:56:59 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: