Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Problems getting cool enough on really hot days  (Read 886 times)
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2011, 02:23:15 pm »

I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on things I should do to make cooling my 2006 2551S more efficient.  We are comfortable on days up into the 80s, but yesterday when it got up to 100 or so it was 90 inside the PC.  I have had the AC looked at before and the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong.  It cools great at startup and when it cools down in the evenings, but is very prone to icing up during the middle of the day.  I will go through the usual clean the filters, clean the fins, and back off a little on the max cooling setting and keep the blower on full.  However, I'm afraid the majority of the problem is inadequate insulation.  I use an external windshield cover when parked and everything else is standard.  Should I have more tinting added to the windows? Should I get the little pillows to stick in all the overhead vent openings?  Should I try adding interior sunshades to the windshields for extra insulation? Is there anything I can do to help insulate the slide out?  Should I look at upping the BTU size and replacing my AC?  All suggestions are welcome, including don't go out in Arkansas during the summer.  Thanks.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 03:18:35 pm »

I have read on other forums, the roof-top a/c is expected to cool down a motor home 20 degrees cooler than the outdoor temp.  You seem to be doing worse than that.  Your ideas all seem logical.  Try boosting the "cool-down" with the engine a/c, then maintaining the lower temp using all the means you mentioned.

Our older 2007 PC-2350 without a slide, has thermal windows.  We have not yet tested the cooling like that.  But we have benefited during freezing over-night temps.  Our PC stays fairly warm except for the cold that enters through the front Ford chassis area.  At bed time, we close the bedroom privacy curtian which makes a big difference for warmer sleeping.  It blocks out the cold draft from up front, and the furnace then runs based on the thermostat by our heads.

But that data does not help for the reverse.  Based on the cold that enters through the front driver's area for us, I would assume the worst of the heat you are getting, also comes from there.  I would focus on padded windshield and door window shades that mount outside the glass.  I know you mentioned an outside windshield shade, but maybe a padded one would be more effective.  Also inserts for the skylight and roof vents.  They do seem to radiate the outside temp inward a lot, don't they?  Consider purchasing a sheet of non-crumbling foam from a home improvement center.  They sell 4x8 sheets (pink or blue colored), 1"-1.5" thick for insulating house foundations from the outside.  They are placed against the foundation, then buried.  With a sheet of that, you could make a whole lot of perfect fitting inserts for around the RV.  Some places sell broken sheets for next to nothing.

Oh, and it goes without saying, draw down your outside awnings.  You can extend you main awning just a foot to eliminate much daytime sun.  That can be left unattended.  We have a dinette awning which helps a lot with direct sun, again can be left unattended if the wind picks up while you are away.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:46:00 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 03:30:31 pm »

We just returned from Sebastian Inlet State Park Florida. Three days of 97 degree heat. Here is what we did----
Put those silver sunshades in all windows and the roof fan.
Closed the door to the bathroom so we were just cooling the bedroom and living area.
Put down all shades/blinds. It was Very dark in the caoch but we weren't in it much.
Had a small table top fan circulating the air.

At night, we had the air off and just the fans. It was ok sleeping.

Needless to say, we are anxious to get out of the heat! July 26, we head North.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:30:16 pm »

We are leaving next week for C-rado and the forecast is for dailies in the low hundreds for two travel days.  With that kind of heat you have to run the roof AC going down the road or it will never catch up when parked.  Ron is right on the 20 degree differential and another way to help the roof AC when parked is a fan the will really move air to get the mix that doesn't seem to happen with just the AC running. With two slides I ran a temperature draw down test before purchase and when it would not do the 20 degree thing so I lobbied for a 15k unit as part of the deal and got it.  Sacrificed the heat strip but so far don't miss it, particularly between 90 and 100, ha. One other thing, the dash AC needs to be set on MAX even when parked and the engine off or the outside air vents are open, which in a lot of areas can mean a lot of humidity/heat infiltration, just through differential expansion/contraction of the air mass inside.

L. G.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 12:05:24 am »

...the dash AC needs to be set on MAX even when parked and the engine off or the outside air vents are open,....L. G.
Oh....That is a great tip!!! ThankYou

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 314
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 12:37:30 pm »

When we were in Vegas and Zion it was 100+.  We found that positioning the air conditioner vents to the down position helped somewhat.   They were originally positioned straight and all the cool air was directed at the roof.  Once we moved them to point to the floor it got much cooler.  We also cover our cab windows with the 90% sun screen fabric and many times we do not even run the AC.  Here is a link to the sun screens we added.  http://phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php?topic=159.0

Barry
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:41:48 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 09:28:30 pm »

Hi:

In one of my posts Lgall replied like this. It might help.

Re: Air conditioner noise
Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 07:49:19 AM Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

david,
we had a 13500 low profile ac on our 09 2551,it was loud and did not cool very good past 90 deg. outside.we replaced it with a high porfile bisk air 15000 and it makes a big difference in cooling and noise.much better.might try that.

You might want to consider this.

David

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: