Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tow bar alighnment  (Read 1998 times)
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 38
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2011, 01:15:47 pm »

Not sure there is any answer but i wanted to throw it out there anyway.....I utilize a Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar to tow my 06 Jeep Liberty behind my 2010 E-450, the hitch reciever on the Ford is lower by as much as two inches compared to the Jeep's base plate.  The tow bar obvisously runs down hill to the PC.  I do use a Brake Buddy but I do worry about such a miss-alighnment between the two but see no easy solution.  Has anyone else run into this same issue?  Raodmaster does warn about such conditions but I wonder if there concerns are tied more to those who do not have brake assist system in place?  Their concern is ofcourse around the towed coming over the top.
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 01:29:41 pm »

They do make an adaptor, slips in your receiver and other end has a 2" receiver. I have one at home, think it's a 2" riser? Bought it from Night Shift Auto,  www.readybrake.com/accessories.html scroll down for some ideas

PS, I realize these are drops but call them, may work the opposite?????
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:43:02 pm by billy » Logged

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 03:28:01 pm »

Thanks for the reply Billy; I always worry about getting the tube out to far and having the old "tail wagging the dog effect.  Guess I will contact Roadmaster and see what they thuink...please keep thinking.  Thanks
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 09:43:14 pm »

I have the exact same "Angled" setup with my 2007 2350 (E350) and 2006 Jeep Liberty.  I did wonder about the angle too, but my Liberty's tow brake system (Unified) is supposed to kick into action before the jeep runs up the backside of the PC.

I'd like to hear if you have found a riser for the receiver as you can't be too careful.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:06:43 pm »

I took this from the owner's manual for the Sterling All Terrain Roadmaster tow bar.  Also checked the Blackhawk 2 and Falcon it was the same.

"Towing with a motorhome-mounted tow bar which has an upward or downward slope puts undue strain on the entire towing system. For that reason, do not tow if the tow bar is not within the Safe Zone no more than three inches above or below level.  Towing a vehicle with a tow bar that is not within the Safe Zone will result in significant wear and tear on the tow bar and brackets, significant wear and tear on the vehicles suspension and frame, and the eventual failure of the towing system.

To determine if the tow bar is within the Safe Zone first, connect the motorhome and towed vehicle on level ground. Next, measure the distance from the center of the motorhome receiver down to the ground. Then, measure the distance from the center of one of the base pins down to the ground.

Compare these two measurements. To be within the Safe Zone, they cannot be more than three inches apart if the base pin is above or below the motorhome hitch receiver. See Figure 18.  If the tow bar is not within the Safe Zone, you must purchase a hitch accessory to raise or lower the hitch receiver. ROADMASTER has three accessories available Hi-Low Hitches, Hi-Low Drops, and Dual Hitch Receivers which will raise or lower the hitch receiver from two to 10 inches, depending on the model.  Towing with the tow bar more than three inches above or below level will void the ROADMASTER warranty."

Here is the link to the owner's manual.

http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-3326-06.pdf

Here is a link to Hitch Accessories for roadmaster.  There are several manufacturers and many suppliers with a wide range of prices.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/hitch/index.html

Barry
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 07:31:01 am by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 10:24:52 pm »

I use the Draw-Tite J-Pin Stabilization Pin and Barrel Lockset.  It locks everything together; there is no waggle. Here is a link with good pictures and video.

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks,Hitch-Accessories/Draw-Tite/63201.html

Barry
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:28:12 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:31:14 pm »

We just returned from our MI trip.  On our flat driveway at home I measured the height difference of the Roadmaster Falcon-II tow bar at the motor home compared to the Liberty to be exactly 6" so I will be looking into something to level it out.  Time to call Roadmaster.

Adding....measeurements taken from center pivot pin, to center pivot pin, for best accuracy.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:21:23 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 02:13:35 pm »

I have done a quick measurement and it looks like I am actaully within the "safe zone" of 3".  I would not have thought there would have been that much difference between the E-350 (Ron's) and the E-450 total height?  I was shoppping around and found etrailer.com to be  the cheapest for the Roadmaster 2", 4', 6" risers.  They are a very good company as well.  Will completely hook my Jeep up tonight to get a better exact maeasurment.  I do love this forum!  Thanks
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 03:22:00 pm »

I will check out e-trailer.  Thanks!

ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 09:22:24 am »

I was able to get and accurate measurement last evening and the Jeep is 4" higher than the E-450 hitch.  I have ordered the 2" riser thru etrialer.com for  $49.00, it is 6000 lb rated and made by Roadmaster I think that will bring me into the safe zone alll right.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 08:37:49 am »

I found a variety of 6" risers on the web.  Some drop the hitch rating from 5000 to 4000 pounds.  I also am concerned about the clearence to the PC's rear bumper.  My hitch is set back slightly under the RV.  The riser might make contact or completely interfere with the PC's bumper once mounted.  It is not a no-brainer purchase.  Further research is needed.

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 09:07:40 am »

I would not have thought there would have been that much difference between the E-350 (Ron's) and the E-450 total height?
Actually it does add up right because PCs on an E350 have a 3" lower over-all height compared to PCs on an E450.  If you look at PC's spec web page, it is noted there.

The 3" lower height on my E350 was extremely critcal in my particular situation for my PC to clear my garage door.  If I special order mine on an E450, I would have to drive the PC into my garage with near flat tires to reduce it's over-all height.  As it is right now, I have only 1.5" between the top of the a/c and the door frame.  I could increase the clearence if I filled up my tanks with water, but no need for that.

The lower over-all stance of the E350 explains why my tow bar angled condition is more extreme than many of you.

BTW, the 2350 Sprinter is as high as the E450 PCs so that would not have worked for me either.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:27:52 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

aimee
Administrator
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 61
________
Model: 2100
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 09:15:40 am »

This is completely off-topic, but Ron's garage scenario reminded me of one of my favorite owner pics.

LOL

Her caption was:
"What I did to get my Phoenix Cruiser to fit in my building....Ya know you must love your motorhome to do this    LOL

Reminds me of the time I was trying to fit XL dog crates into my vehicle in the Wal-Mart parking lot and was being heckled by a guy wanting my parking spot. "You'll never fit those in there!"  I replied, "Of course I will!  I already paid for them!"  (I did fit them in, of course)
 rolling on the floor

Aimee, Webmistress
JackD

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: May 2012
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ExtColor: Platinum
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 02:01:40 pm »

I love it, Aimee!!!

Jack
ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 09:04:05 am »

Ron D. and others:   I have the same concerns as you that the riser will hit the bumper or the tail of the falcon bar will be to long for the reciever.  I decided on the 2" riser thinking that wiould get me into the safe zone and most likely will only cover the lic. plate but not hit the bumper.  As soon as I get the reciever I will post how close it comes to the bottem of the bumper....I did read that the 2" is still rated at 6000 lbs, I hope so since a drop to 4000 lb rating will not cover my 4300 lb diesel LIberty.....why is nothing easy?    Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: