Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Emergency Road service  (Read 1526 times)
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 01:18:24 pm »

I, too, carry a tire repair kit having the 'ropes'. It sure works better when in the boonies or between towns than trying to get cell service to call a tow-truck and/or tire repair facility.

Once I get to a reasonably sized town I can have it repaired properly.

BTW, some tire repair facilities snip off the inside bit of rope and then patch over it. I'm told it makes for a good repair.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 01:21:52 pm »

I have even seen patches with a rubber finger that gets inserted into and pulled out through the hole of the tire.  That seems better yet.  But that can be used only when the puncture is at 90 degrees or no so far off.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 03:08:15 pm »

Since I used to use the sticky rope method with good results, I did some more "googling" on the topic. It appears a lot of people still use the kits, but no reliable tire dealer will.  It seems that two things drive this: first, most tire manufacturers will void tire wear warranties if plugs rather than internal patches are used and second, the National Highway Traffic Safety Association says the plugs are not an acceptable way to repair a tire.  One thread also had an assertion that in Florida it was against the law to use plugs on commercial vehicles. I guess the sort of middle of the road consensus as I read it was if you're in the middle of nowhere and a plug gets you going, do it and then get it replaced when convenient at a repair shop.  Nobody seemed big on the aerosol inflation and patching mixes (usually refered to as slime) which I also used to use on occasions;  I know from experience that tire shops hate it because it can make the tire hard to balance and isobutane is used as a propellant and will blow up the shop when a mechanic with a ciggy in his mouth depressures the tire.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: