Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Emergency Road service  (Read 1518 times)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2011, 05:56:53 pm »

This past Sunday on our way home from camping, I stopped for gas and noticed that the drivers side rear tire was flat. I found a nice level parking lot nearby and started to change the tire in the 90 degree heat. First let tell you that I played with the hub caps for about 45 minutes before digging out the owners papers and reading that they just pry off like regular hub caps. The nut caps do not have anything to do with holding them on. Then I had to use the bottle jack to get the PC high enough to lower the HWH jacks and put a 2x4 under them. Then I could raise it the tire enough to change it. All this took me almost two hours in the heat. At my age I am ready to start letting someone else do this type of thing. So I have decided that I need some type of emergency road service. I have started looking at Coach-Net RV and Good Sam ERS. Do any of you know anything about them or any other service? Help

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 309
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 06:08:10 pm »

Tom,

We use the AAA RV plus membership.   We do not have any AAA insurance--just their membership.  It cost us about $72 dollars a year and they will change a tire or tow you (up to 100 miles) to a facility for major repairs.  When we had a travel trailer we had a blown tire and they were out in 15 minutes, changed it and we were back on the road.  You also get the added benefit of their trip tiks and travel books/services.  The membership money for us is pece of mind when we travel.  It covers all your vehicles, not just your RV so if you have a flat on a car, or lose battery or whatever, they'll be there to help.  Also gets you three gallons of gas if you run out.  Just don't remind my DW of this one!!

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
pyrthkr
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:59:23 pm »

i have the Good Sam ERS and from what is shown below, the services appear the same.  Have not used it for the RV yet but the coverage did extend to my other vehicles and have used it to tow on of them.  btw: the Triptik on AAA is a great mapping program and anyone can access it, not just members.
 Wink
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:17:13 pm »

We have a service through our Geico RV insurance. Have not had to use it though, so we don't know how satisfied we will be if we have to use it.

One thing to remember with AAA is that not all areas can handle Rv's. Our niece is the Asst. Mgr. for a AAA location and they do not offer road service for RVs.

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 07:53:49 pm »

I had the Camping World ERS for years and it was a great service the 3 times I used it, now it's been sub-let to Good Sam.  Last time I tried to get through to GS for a flat; ended up changing it myself, if that is a clue to the wonderful world of GS.  At first we could not get through and then we were on hold for about 20 minutes and finally gave up, well not really, I had it almost changed by then.  Had a half tank of water and a cool shower felt okay, too.  Hope my next experience is better since I paid it forward 3 years.

L. G.
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 08:02:52 pm »

The first time I used my new Ford F250 7.3 Super Diesel I got stuck in our drive way.     Cry    Called GS and told them where I got stuck, I heard this little chuckle, and she asked again, "where are you stuck" Well after a good laugh, GS sent help in a short time. I have used them 3 times and very happy.    Cheer

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:38:19 pm »

lghjr,

Did you ever install the Ultragauge?
If so, please respond to the topic.

Thanks.

Bob

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
BrownCrew

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: May/2011
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: No
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Rust Lower Body
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:22:10 pm »

Tom,

We use the AAA RV plus membership.   We do not have any AAA insurance--just their membership.  It cost us about $72 dollars a year and they will change a tire or tow you (up to 100 miles) to a facility for major repairs.  When we had a travel trailer we had a blown tire and they were out in 15 minutes, changed it and we were back on the road.  You also get the added benefit of their trip tiks and travel books/services.  The membership money for us is pece of mind when we travel.  It covers all your vehicles, not just your RV so if you have a flat on a car, or lose battery or whatever, they'll be there to help.  Also gets you three gallons of gas if you run out.  Just don't remind my DW of this one!!

We had a similar good experience with AAA.  Halfway between Yuma and San Diego my truck blew its ignition coil and stopped climbing the terrain going into San Diego county.  Absolutely the middle of nowhere. 

AAA dispatched two vehicles.  One towed our 5th wheel to the campsite while the other dropped off my truck at a nearby Chevy dealer.  We even rode in the one towing the camper. 

If you decide to get AAA, definitely opt for the PLUS upgrade.  That gives you the 100 mile tow.  I think the standard option is only 10 miles.  This may vary from club to club and state to state.

Each day is a gift, and not a given right.
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 10:10:22 pm »

Hi Tom:

I have Good Sam and they do extend to all of our vehicles. I have used them several times and have had no problems. AAA you have to be a member for a year before you can upgrade to rv plan.  I have found both to be ok.  But, If I am stuck  and I want a tire changed, I find it best to call the local tow garage and pay good old Cash and tip the worker too.  That always seems to be the ticket....

DJM

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 10:53:37 pm »

Not yet with my PC, but on our old motor home with rear duel wheels, I fixed the flat once while the rear tire was mounted to the axle.  I found a nail pierced cleanly into the tire.  I pulled it out, inserted a plug (those sticky rope things), filled up the tire with air, and all was back to normal.

Sometimes the flat is caused by the valve extension going bad.  Just remove it and fill the tire with air.

Having a cheap $30 air compressor handy, is not a bad idea.  Sometimes the leak is slow enough to get you to a tire shop to make the repair.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
glenncc

Helpful Rating: 5
________
PurchDate: 1/4/2011
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Desert Sage
ExtColor: Desert Sage / Fullbody paint
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 01:02:38 pm »

Ron,

What "cheap" air compressor do you use?  Is it 120 volt or 12 volt?  Does it handle air pressures adequate for PC tires? 

Thanks.

Glenn Canavan 2010 Model 2350 with no slide out.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 01:48:55 pm »

Just a quick followup; I went with nmc Coach Net for three years at $278.50. After reading the a bunch of RV sites I felt this would be the one for me. I got a $20 discount because I belong to FMCA.
Thank you all for the feed back. ThankYou

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 02:34:53 pm »

What "cheap" air compressor do you use?  Is it 120 volt or 12 volt?  Does it handle air pressures adequate for PC tires?
Walmart sells cheap air compressors in their automotive department.  Some are 12v, some are 110v.  On a PC with a generator or inverter, either voltage works well.  The PSI goes high enough as well.

I bought this kit at Walmart a few years ago which stores nice in it's very compact storage bag, and includes the repair kit for $55.  It looks big in the picture, but the case is only around 12" across.  Click Here to buy it on Amazon for about the same price.  I think Walmart now sells other models, still made by the same company.  There are many varieties of it.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:32:33 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 07:06:54 pm »

While I have used the rubber and glue plugs myself in the past, most tire shops will no longer do that sort of repair.  They will insist on taking the tire off and placing a patch on the inside.  I am told that they feel that the internal repair will last forever, but the poke in from the outside type may sometimes blow out at a later date.  I have GS road service, but have never had to use it. 

Jerry
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 12:56:48 pm »

Yes Jerry, I agree.

Shops want to use a patch on the inside becasue it is a more reliable method of repair.  My suggested roadside tire repair method using the sticky rope gets RVers back on the road quickly.  If they are not comfortable with that as a long term repair, then they can get it repaired better at their convenience.

For myself, I have no concern using the sticky rope for a permanent repair, as long as the puncture is clean and in a good spot on the tire.  The best place is in thick thread or tight thread area, for more depth for the rope to do it's job.

In the case of RV tires, most get replaced due to age & cracking, not from thread wear.  This makes using the rope, less a concern.

Just my opinion on that.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: