Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Brunswick, PEI, Cape Bretton, Nova Scotia Campgrounds and Resturants  (Read 1843 times)
Dick & Trish

Helpful Rating: 4
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 09/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: ,Umber
________

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2011, 07:55:29 pm »

Trish and I plan to leave Ohio in the not to distant future and head Northeast to the Eastern Canadian Provinces.  We are curious as to whether any of you would be willing to share any info regarding campgrounds, resturants, and activities that you would recommend.  Any travel tips as well as do's and don'ts will be appreciated.
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 92
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 06:28:27 am »

You have come to the right place!! We are leaving next week for our 3rd trip in 3 years to the Maritimes. Last 2 years were for 3 monthes, this year will only be 2 monthes due to family issues. This post may be too long here but here I go and PM me with any additional ?
We try to stay in Provincial Parks in PEI and NB. Most of them have electric/water (called 2 way sites)and offer a senior discount. Brudenell in PEI even has cable and a pool. NS PP are a little more basic. Get the guides at Visitor Centers. The 1st year we stayed at Fundy National Park. It was nice but not worth the $$. In addition to the site fee, a daily entance fee is charged. That brought the nightly fee to almost $50 a night. This year the exchange rate is 4% more. On Cape Breton, we enjoyed Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground. Easy to do the Cabot Trail from there. They have a pool and a small restaurent on site.
What to see!
Hopwell Rocks and Cape Enrage in NB
Louisbourg Fortress and Alexander Graham Bell Museum in NS
Glenorra Distillery-only single malt scotch distillery in North America in NS
Peggy's  Cove in NS
Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 06:44:39 am »

Now on PEI.
If you can take the Ferry onto the Island and the bridge off island. The Ferry runs from Pictou NS. There will be no charge on the ferry to PEI. You pay when you leave the island. PEI is more rural. Just beautiful scenery. On Adventure Anywhere you will see our last PC in front of the Wood Island Lighthouse.
Wonderful food! Mussels, Oysters. Our favorite restaurant on PEI is Clamdiggers in Georgetown. It is a must for us.
I believe that the National Park on the North Shore of the island is beautiful but we won't stay there due to the additional daily fee (for each person).
We will be on PEI from 8/4 through 8/16. We will be at Selkirk PP from 8/4, leaving on 8/9. Then on to Panmure Beach PP 8/12 and 8/13. Then to Brudenell 8/14 and 8/15 leaving the island on the 16 for NS.
If you see us, say hi!

Judi and George

Punta Gorda FL
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:54:53 am »

More, more.
I'm taking notes.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
Dick & Trish

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 11:12:50 am »

We'll be looking for your PC when we get to PEI.  We appreciate all of your feedback to our questions.  You mention to PN you if we have any other questions.  What does tha mean and how do I do it?  Also, we are Verizon cellphone customers.  What are the ramifications of cell phone and internet usage in the Eastern Canadian Provinces?  Any tips to help avoid high charges?  Thanks for your help.  Dick
gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 12:23:59 pm »

We have had problems with our cell phone in all the Provinces so we try not to use it. We have found that some Provincial Parks have internet service and the Visitor's Center in PEI has computers that one can use as well as WiFi. We park in the Wood Islands Visitor Center's parking lot and use our laptop. It's great!

We did not get to Halifax last year so this year it is a possibility.

Another place that we enjoyed was Campobello Island, New Brunswick. We toured Roosevelt's Summer Home. We stayed at Herring Cove Provincial Park on the island. Nice but rustic. Oh yeah! The state bird of the Maritimes is the mosquito. Bring bug spray.

Judi

Punta Gorda FL
Dick & Trish

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 05:42:42 pm »

We have a  Direct TV satallite dome on our PC roof.  Do any of you know if Direct TV works in the New Brunswick/PEI/Nova Scotia regions of Canada?

Also, are there any other PC owners that plan to be in the above areas of Canada during the month of August and early September?
gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 05:10:22 pm »

We brought along our Winegard Carryout and our Dish Network receiver last year and did not use it once. Didn't even try! We found that, with the batwing antenna, we picked up many stations--not as many as with the Dish network, but enough for us. Actually, we really got used to the Canadian stations.

Judi and George

Punta Gorda FL
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 08:29:09 pm »

A couple of years ago I was taking with a friend of mine from Canada and he said that Direct TV was illegal in Canada.  After reading your posts I thought I would do a little research.  Here is what I found.

FAQ's from DIRECT TV confirm that they are not authorized to offer service or transmit a signal into Canada

Can I get DIRECTV in Canada?

We are prohibited by law from offering service outside the United States. DIRECTV abides by all applicable legal restrictions and does not condone or support violation of law

Is DIRECTV service available in Canada or Mexico?

We are legally prohibited from transmitting the DIRECTV signal outside the United States

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1924/related/1

Canadian Law

Here is the portion of the Radiocommunications Act that is used to forbid the decoding of Direct TV signals.

The Radiocommunication Act Section 9(1)(c) states: "No person shall...decode an encrypted subscription programming signal or encrypted network feed otherwise than under and in accordance with an authorization from the lawful distributor of the signal or feed".

"This section of the Radiocommunication Act has been the subject of recent court challenges involving retailers who sell American DTH satellite receivers and services in Canada. This resulted in confusion due to differing judgements rendered regarding the interpretation of section 9(1)(c). A Supreme Court of Canada decision in the case of Bell ExpressVu v. Richard Rex, made on April 26, 2002, confirms that provisions in the Radiocommunication Act forbid the illegal decoding of satellite television programming."

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/h_sf05562.html#q4

The Radiocommunication Act Section defines lawful distributor”, in relation to an encrypted subscription programming signal or encrypted network feed, means a person who has the lawful right in Canada to transmit it and authorize its decoding;

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/R-2/page-1.html#h-2

As I see it, Direct TV cannot offer service outside of the U. S. and cannot transmit signals outside of the U. S. By definition they are not a "lawful distributor" within Canada.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 10:22:03 pm »

Hi:

We went to Nova Scotia on our Honeymoon with our mh. What a beautiful place.  We took the ferry over from St John.  One of the best campground we found was this one http://www.ovenspark.com.  It is in Lunnenburg and owned by Harry Chapin's kids.  It overlooks the ocean and is not too expensive.  It is along the lighthouse route and very handy.  We stayed in mostly private campgrounds as we were not equipped for state/national park camping at the time. I found most of the private campgrounds to be inexpensive. 

We also have a AT & T mifi which is basically our transportable wifi. It is our and is secure.  It works everywhere even in Yellowstone.  I had it in Canada last year and it worked there too. You might want to check into one of them.

David

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 08:29:17 am »

You learn something new every day on the Forum! I checked with Dish Network and they are not available in Canada. Now we know not to waste our time trying to get sat t.v in Canada.

Punta Gorda FL
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: January 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 07:13:53 pm »

You meet some very nice people on the roads of Prince Edward Island. 

And they come wrapped in a Phoenix Cruiser.

Bill Golden

(photo was taken in Georgetown, PEI)

Bill and Karen Golden
yankeeflyer
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 04:54:59 pm »

Love to follow all the old posts!As a former owner of property on PEI,just thought I'd throw in my two cents,(less in Canadian money).We had Direct TV on the island all the time we were there.We simply brought our reciever from the states with us,hooked it up to the sattellite dish,aimed it back to the states,and enjoyed watching the Red Sox!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: