Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What batteries R we using  (Read 506 times)
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
Slide: Yes
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:05:32 pm »

When we purchased our rig I wanted two 6V batteries, Stewart said they will not fit  ?????????   I have not measured them yet but will. What are y'all using?

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:13:56 pm »

I have an older model (2006) with a single 12 volt battery and definitely not enough room for two batteries, either 6 volt in series or 12 volts in parallel.  So far I have had no problems with only one battery and have spent single nights without hookups a few times.  Even if the battery does go partially down, you can usually crank the generator by starting up the motor and letting it run while you crank the generator.

Jerry
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 54
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:14:59 am »

Billy,
    When we purchased our 2010 2350, I requested and had installed two 6 volt golf cart batteries.  On our 2011 2552 we requested and had installed two of the same batteries.  I'll admit it is a close fit, but provide much more available power.  Maybe your battery access is not large enough for the two batteries.
       Bob
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 08:47:05 am »

Billy, I am wondering why you want or anyone would want two 6 volt batteries instead of the two 12 volt ones that come standard? Our old Winnebago 35' had two 12 volt batteries and I never needed for more. We went to a FMCA rally once, pulled in Sunday afternoon and did not start the engine until the next Saturday morning. We ran the generator each morning so we could run the coffee maker and some evening to run the microwave. Only watched TV for the news and weather reports. We never had any power issues. For all our other camping we have driven at least every other day or stayed in campgrounds with electric hookup. I can understand that some people might want more reserve if they dry camp for a long time with out using their generator or driving anywhere. I also can understand if you have that same affliction that I have, the Tim Allen affliction, Bigger and more power is better. What you have to say?

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:05:25 am »

On other RV forums, there is some discussion of the advantages in having two 6v batteries in series, instead of the typical 12v in parallel.  Flashlights are setup the same way, partially for the same reasons.

On my 2007 2350, one of my original 12v batteries was diagnosed as a failer after two years of service.  I decided to stay with 12v batteries and replaced them both with two larger 12v from Walmart.  They were the largest ones Walmart stocks.....they have a yellow label, though I forgot the brand name.  The two larger batteries fit in the slide-out battery tray perfectly without the need to add my little wood shims used with the original batteries to keep them close to eachother so the little white wire with square tip temp sensor could measure the battery temperature more accurately.

At Walmart, I went through their stash of batteries, selected the ones that were manufactured most recently, and having the same manufacturing month/year.  They cost around $70 each, but they have a lot more power than the original ones ever had.  I do wonder if one of my original batteries had issues from the start or shortly thereafter because right from day-one I struggled to maintain battery reserves much more than I do with the Walmarts now.  The larger size will make a difference, but I did not think so much.

One other thing I like about the Walmart batteries are the tops & caps.  If there is any boil-over, the top & caps don't purge it so quickly.  It seems there is a tiny top reservoir design to handle the occasion which would surely save my battery tray and connections.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:09:40 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:55:55 pm »

The batteries look like ever start maxx batteries. do you remember what the amps were?

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 10:09:56 pm »

If you are considering changing, I would like to suggest this website.  http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/

They have all sorts of  batteries and many sizes of 6 volts.  You could get the size you need to fit the tray.  They have dealers everywhere if you have problems.  My local garage can order them from the local distributor too.   We were just on an 18 day vacation and stayed mostly in np and sp  and our 12 volts worked great. If you run your generator a little every day I see no need to go to the 6 volt, but to each there own. That is why we call this America!!

David

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: