PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
Slide: Yes
________

Best Friends

View Profile
Oil
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:34:18 pm »

It's getting to be the first oil change. I KNOW, I KNOW I could RTFB but what say y'all on synthetic. Also has anyone used a bigger filter?

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:38:57 pm »

It's getting to be the first oil change. I KNOW, I KNOW I could RTFB but what say y'all on synthetic. Also has anyone used a bigger filter?

Your owners manual calls for synthetic oil. I used Mobil one this last time.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 01:48:02 pm »

I worked in the oil industry for 30 years, but can't say that I can tell you without any doubt what kind of oil you should use in the Ford V10.  Folks in the industry were fairly well agreed that Mobil 1 was about the best oil you could put in your car, but it costs a lot more.  The upside is that it lasts a lot longer, but how many of you are willing to run your car 15k miles between oil changes just because the oil will retain its viscosity and lubricity that long?  My personal feeling is that few of us keep a motorhome long enough to see much difference as long as you use the right viscosity and a quality oil. The biggest controversy is not synthetic versus regular oil (which contains lots of synthetic additives), but viscosity.  Apparently, 5W20 oil is now recommended for the V10.  Old guys often use 10W30 to get higher viscosity and maybe better protection.  The drive to lower viscosity is largely driven by the desire to reduce friction in the engine and increase mileage.  My approach has always been take it to the Ford dealer and tell him to change my oil and filter.  Maybe someday I'll ask him what he puts in.

Jerry
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 166
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:11:54 pm »

After the first year of ownership, I decided to stay with full synthetic 5W-20, and a Motorcraft oil filter.  Given I put on less than 6000 miles per year, I change the oil anually just before my first trip of each year.  The motor home stays in doors when not on trips so the engine does not see seasonal climate change and humidity variations.  That makes me feel more comfortable with an anual oil change.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
bigbadjc

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 03:05:49 pm »

Ron, I guess in reality I do just what you do.  I take my rig to the local Ford dealer and have him do the oil change annually sometime in the spring.  I usually put 5-7K on a year, so that stays in the recommended change interval.  As stated, Ford Motorcraft oil is synthetic 5W20, but I'm not sure if it's full synthetic or semisynthetic.  It really makes little difference.  One thing that you might not know is that motor oils, even those with an oil company name, may be made by another manufacturer or by a number of manufacturers.  Ford, for example, bids out their contracts and may change suppliers.  What doesn't change are the specifications that Ford calls for in the bid.  Gasoline is the same way. Mogas in the USA is now "fungible", meaning it all blended to the same federally controlled specs and differs only in the additive package.  Pipelines carry huge volumes of gasoline from a variety of suppliers and it is additized at the wholesale terminal truck rack.  Trucks coming in from different brand dealers get the same gasoline, but with different additives mixed in while the truck loads.  Oil is made by much fewer refineries than gasoline and the different companies often buy base blending stocks from each other.  In other words, specs are much more meaningful than brand names.
pyrthkr
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 05:31:44 pm »

I put the owners manual recommended 5W20 in w/new filter just before I took our 2008 2551 out in MAR of this yr.  Not sure what the prior owner had in it but there was only ~3K mi on their oil (supposedly) after I got it back from across country last yr & when I changed it in MAR, the viscosity was markedly deteriorated.  I'll do the same next spring as I only have another 4K mi on this oil w/just 3 w/e jaunts coming up the rest of the yr.  We'll see if there apears to be a difference.  BTW, the filter is easily accessible on the 2551 - right next to the drain plug so self-changing was easier than I thought it wd/be.
 cool
bigbadjc

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 06:07:08 pm »

Assuming that you are seeing a real change in viscosity and not just remembering what oil used to feel like compared to today's lower viscosity 5W20 oils, I would be potentially concerned if I were you.  Quoting from an online article about motor oil viscosity change with usage:

"Contamination from wear or debris increases the viscosity. Incomplete combustion, fuel leaks, coolant leaks, overheating, additive loss and detergent breakdown tend to decrease the oil viscosity before complete failure cooks the lubricant causing its viscosity to increase."

The only real engine failure I ever had in my life was a Toyota Carona that blew it's main bearings because of a slow leak of gasoline through the old crankcase style of fuel pump diaphragm that thinned the oil and resulted in bearing failure.  It didn't show up as low oil pressure or poor gas consumption because it was so small, but it sure reduced the viscosity. If your modern oil is changing viscosity and/or appearance greatly in a low mileage vehicle, it could indicate a contamination problem.

Jerry
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 06:18:31 pm »

Your owners manual calls for synthetic oil. I used Mobil one this last time.

I did buy Mobile One, just checking. Lots of good info, by the way, the second part of my question, "any body using a bigger filter?"

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 10:32:22 pm »

Standard oil filter for me.  I do stick on the bottom of the oil filter, a very strong magnet, done in hopes to capture more metal particles.

lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:59:53 pm »

Fuel thinning of oil reminded me of:

Reminds me of flying to Alaska on the C-97's and C-124's with the 4360 engines.  Somewhere around 32-80 gallons of oil for each engine and we pumped avgas (115-145) into the oil before shutting down so the engine oil would be thin enough that they would turn over the next day.  IIRC it was 10-15 gallons of avgas per engine. Plus the refill tank had to be thinned out too.
billy
SuperHero Member

________
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 11:40:05 am »

Standard oil filter for me.  I do stick on the bottom of the oil filter, a very strong magnet, done in hopes to capture more metal particles.

Ron, do you have a special magnet or just find the biggest one you can find. I have looked and don't think you would have a problem with a bigger filter. I don't plan on any OFF ROAD driving.    LOL

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 11:49:58 am »

I really don't see a benefit in a larger oil filter as the one I use is spec'd for the V10.  But you are right in saying there is room for a massive one.

The magnets I use for oil filters were taken out from old computer hard drives.  They are the strongest magnets I know.  Be careful when handling a pair of them.  They will pinch to cut your skin & draw blood.

Here is a picture I found on the web, and they really are this strong.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:53:31 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

billy
SuperHero Member

________
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 12:04:06 pm »

Ron

"I really don't see a benefit in a larger oil filter as the one I use is spec'd for the V10.  But you are right in saying there is room for a massive one."

There is a filter a little bigger and personally I feel the more filtration the better. Just a personal opinion.

"The magnets I use for oil filters were taken out from old computer hard drives.  They are the strongest magnets I know.  Be careful when handling a pair of them.  They will pinch to cut your skin & draw blood."

Been there done that.  Cry

We purchaser a "Magan-Shade" for the class A. Magnets applied to the inside of windshield, magnets in shade, great windshield shade, CUT TO FIT. Great shade. While installing the shade I put the magnets on the table and two of them "found each other" it took two pliers to get them apart.

pyrthkr
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 06:28:38 pm »

bigbadjc: you are probably correct in your assumption in that I am more than likely attributing the darker coloring of the used oil with a viscosity change.  I still have the used oil (haven't taken it down to Avis Lube yet) so will take another as I do not see evidence anywhere else of contamination.  Appreciate your comments.
 cool
Awilson

Helpful Rating: 8
________
PurchDate: March 2009
Model: 2400 Ford
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: White and Tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 04:27:42 pm »

I had an 1996 3/4 ton Dodge V-10 pick up that i used to pull my 32' fifth wheel for years. I had trouble with that engine when I first got it with two engine failures in less than 3,000 miles. They were replaced courtesy of Chrysler and both had the same problem from the factory. The last one was never a problem and, following the advice of a mechanic, I switched to Mobil One after a 15,000 mile break in on it. I faithfully changed the filter and added one quart of oil every 3,000 miles and then did a complete change of oil every 24,000. I sold that pick up a few years ago with 321,000 miles on it and it still runs great for the new owner today, although he doesn't put many miles on it. Last year it had 372,000 mi8les on it and he changed it back to regular oil as it started leaking a little oil form the front and rear main seals and he didn't like the mess. The change reduced the oil leak but did not stop it. I have not had the courage to do that again on my other vehicles but I am sold on Mobil One oil and use it in everything I own.

PS The mechanic that made the suggestion to me was an Amsoil dealer telling me about the high mile oil change. I tried it just not with Amsoil.

Alan and Diana
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: