Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Getting to Nashville - Bad Stretch?  (Read 340 times)
Pax
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 54
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Cafe' - Full Body
________

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2015, 03:05:15 pm »

Didn't want to highjack Tom's topic regarding what to do and see in Nashville.  This topic is specifically about getting into or out of the Nashville area...

I was wondering if anyone has ever taken I-24 between Nashville and Chattanooga?  We avoided it when we drove from the Atlanta area to Nashville last year because we had learned it was 'challenging', even though it was the most direct route.  Instead we opted for taking I-75 up to almost Knoxville and then picked up I-40 West into Nashville, which was a lot longer.

Wikipedia echoes a number of other resources we found, and here's a portion of what they say:

One of the more hazardous stretches of Interstate highway in the United States is located approximately 40 miles west of Chattanooga on I-24 in Monteagle, where the highway crosses the Cumberland Plateau. Compared to grades elsewhere, Monteagle's 46% grade does not come close to the steepest, but the slope is protracted over a distance of several miles. While all motorists need to exercise caution, truckers are particularly vexed by Monteagle, and many have died going through this area. As runaway trucks had been a regular and deadly occurrence, in part of the failure or inability of truckers to slow down to the 35 mph truck speed limit once on the slope, the eastbound lanes were rebuilt in the late 1980s. This work reduced the grade, widened the road, added a required stopping area with traffic lights for trucks prior to descending the mountain, and added two runaway truck ramps. Owing to geography, these two ramps are on the left side of the grade. This stretch of highway inspired Johnny Cash to write a song about Monteagle Mountain. It is also mentioned in "The Legend", the introductory song for Smokey and the Bandit.

Has anyone done this stretch in their rig?

- Mike

KB9OMH

Helpful Rating: 14
________
PurchDate: 3/26/13
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 09:47:38 pm »

Have driven the I24 from Nashville to Ga. many times with a 5th Wheel and also my PC3100, also in a car. The speed limit in the area you are asking about is 55 MPH up and down, will have a watch full eye of the Tenn and Ga SP. Hope this will help you

Jim
KB9OMH
bobojay

Helpful Rating: 17
________
OwnPC: No
Model: None
Slide: No
IntColor: Desert Sand-Hickory
ExtColor: Desert Sand-Lower
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 11:26:58 pm »

Have been through there twice in 2 different rigs, both Sprinters. Wasn't that big a deal compared to out west...

Bob & Sharon
Current: 2013 Winnebago ERA Class B Sprinter Van
Future: 2100 special, 2350, ?? on a hopefully Ford Transit 350 or 450
AMW

Helpful Rating: 26
________
PurchDate: July/2014
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2015
Slide: No
IntColor: Toast
ExtColor: Sterling
________

2015 2100-stretch

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:53:11 pm »

I've driven that route many times both ways in my 34' diesel pusher, E-350 long van, and every other vehicle I have had except my PC...never had any problems with it.  However from the south I much prefer I-65 thru AL instead in order to avoid Atlanta, which just gets worse every year.

Ann W.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: