Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thinking About a Phoenix Cruiser  (Read 919 times)
funtogo

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: New
Model: 2100
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2011, 10:49:39 pm »

Hello All:
 I have not posted here before,but we have a 33' 5th wheel that we are selling,and thinking of downsizing.We are looking at the 2350 sprinter chassis.Would like to hear from other 2350 owners sprinter or ford chassis,about pro and cons of both.How does the sprinter tow a enclosed trailer with m/c or auto 4 down?I have driven the leisure travel free spirit with 5 cylinder diesel and liked the way it drove.I wonder,is the 2350 sprinter similiar?What changes did they do in 2010 or 2011?Thanks for any help or info you have.
Johnny
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 92
________
OwnPC: Yes
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:54:34 am »

We had a 2010 2350 Sprinter and traded it this year for a 2011 2551 (Ford chassis). The reason we traded the Sprinter was the corner bed. It did not work for us. The 2551 has twin beds which are much more comfortable for extended cruising. If there was a twin bed model PC Sprinter, we certainly would have stayed with the Sprinter. We are now in Massachusetts and the Ford has 3400 miles. Here are our Pros and Cons:

Better ride on the Sprinter, Better MPG with the Sprinter, Cab more comfortable in the Sprinter.
Finding diesel is a problem at times and the cost of diesel is greater.

2551 is a bigger vehicle. The 2350 Ford is an E350 and the 2551 is E450. The heat that radiates from the floor in our 2551 .is very hot. The legroom is the cab is less than the Sprinter.

It is still too early to really tell how we like the 2551. For us, it was all about the coach accomodations and that was the reason for the trade. Coach House builds a twin bed Sprinter but the cost is high.

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:13:25 am »

Johnny;

Depending upon the size and weight of your enclosed trailer and motorcycle the Sprinter chassis may have some towing and axle limitations.   A fully loaded Sprinter (GVWR of 11,030 pounds) has a maximum towing capability of 4,220 pounds.  The rear axle has a rating of 7,720 pounds but I'm not sure exactly how the added tongue weight is going the affect the loading of the rear axle.  These represent maximum numbers  and have no margin for error or safety.
Best bet is to contact the PC factory and get their input.  They are very helpful and well informed.

Barry
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:16:03 am by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:18:56 pm »

We traded-in a 36 Hurricane Class A and NEVER looked back. Sure, the cruiser has its problems. Our batteries are poor; probably buy some good batteries before Quartzsite, Az. this winter. The water drain is in a poor place, but Ill make a small adjustment on that, but we love the Cruiser. We are headed up to the Sequoias in Ca, for 6-7 days, no phone, no computer. See Ya

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:46:30 pm »

I had a Sprinter based Monaco Covina (24') for a short period of time having traded down from a 38' class A.   Superb looking little coach, but the floor plan just did not work.   With that said I was not overly impressed with the Sprinter (the 3.0L is a very good engine do not get me wrong) in general.   If I had kept the coach I would have done extensive chassis modifications to stiffin it up alot.   The Monaco was much taller vs's PC so perhaps it was somewhat more top heavy and therefore the lack of good road manners.  With normal load the front axle was over weight and of course there was no way I could pull my diesel jeep since  the hitch was only rated for 3500 lbs., not sure how Winnebago and others rate the Sprinter to pull more I do not see that chassis capable of towing more than 3500lbs period.  The chassis was so low you can not get underneath it do do any servcie without a floor jack.  I will say it was very strong in the mountains with the 3.0 L's  torque  The cab was comfortable but the the engine noise was very, very loud to the point that you could not hear the radio.  I never broke 15MPG no matter how hard I tired.  My E-450 can carry and pull everything I want and is much better behavied on the road.   The 2551 bed arrangement is great and would be much better if the beds were a little longer.  Just my two cents.
funtogo

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:53:59 pm »

This is certainly some good info that will help in our decision.I will do some more research and talk to more people before getting serious about buying.It seems that most are pleased with the Phoenix body that I have read about.I saw them at FMCA Show in Ga. this spring and looked them over.They have some interesting features that I liked.Amy others feel free to add your opinions and experience here to this discussion.
  What about sprinter maintainance schedules and expenses with upkeep,etc on a new unit?

Johnny
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 07:30:57 am »

We own a 2007 2350 (non-Sprinter) floorplan, on an E350 chassis.  My wife will be the first to say the rear corner bed is not fun to get in and out from, but she tollerates the inconvenience.  Yes she is the one who sleeps by the window.  I do get out of bed for her to get out.  I too admit it is not ideal, but that would be my only negative comment on the floor plan.  For us twin beds would never work as we both demand to sleep together.  And besides, anything longer would not fit in our garage.

The rest of the layout works extremely well for us.  We do not have a slide-out and have no regrets about it.  The dinette is a nice size because of it.  With no slide-out, the furnace and other such appliances are mounted under the fridge and main closet.  That leaves the area under the bed more open to increased outdoor access storage of which I like a lot.  The no-slide dinette has larger cabinets over-head, and huge bench seat storage areas as compared to the couch in a slide-out with smaller over-head cabinets, and the couch has a drawer.  Given a slideout adds 400 to 500 pounds, that is something to think about if concerned of over-weighting a Sprinter.

We tow a Jeep Liberty 4x4 100% of the time which weighs 3800 pounds.  The E350/V10 handles it well.  Our 2350 fuel economy averaged for 5000 mile vacation was 9.2mpg with no consideration for gas generator usage.  I have no idea what the fuel economy would be if we did not tow anything, slowed down, and didn't always carry a full tank of fresh water.

If you decide to get a floorplan with a single barrel chair, I highly recommend you upgrade it to a 3rd captain chair as we did later on.

Click here to see our 2007 2350 with no slideout, and now with a 3rd captain chair.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:43:45 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
funtogo

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 09:16:52 am »

Just wondering if anyone has had their 2350 weighed,fully loaded,on either chassis?I would guess that the sprinter would be close to capacity when fully loaded.
Johnny
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 10:49:43 am »

That would be excellent data to have, but very few people actually drive their rig on a truck scale when on vacation with their rig loaded with full gas tank, propane, water, groceries, gear, clothing, and people.  I have not yet done that myself, but I plan to one day.  My rig weighs 9200 pounds according to the Phoenix USA sticker on the kitchen cabinet door.  I don't remember if that includes a full tank of gasoline or not.  Given it's just my wife and I traveling together, I estimate all the extra weight to be right around 1100 pounds.  Maybe I am adding the weight of 55 gallons of gas twice.

- 290 human body weight, my wife and I combined
- 340 fresh water, 40 gallons
- 330 gasoline, 55 gallons
- 140 everything else

1100 total added weight

9200 + 1100 = 10,300 pounds
2007 E350 chassis max weight is 11,500, so I have 1200 pounds of margin (maybe 330 more with gas added twice) which I consider to be comfortable.  Adding a 400-500 pound slideout would still be comfortable.

The 2011 E350 chassis is rated 12,500
The 2011 Spinter chassis is rated 11,030

Without more specifics, it appears a Sprinter with a slideout and two people will be right around the max capacity.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:00:59 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:24:16 pm »

I had my PC 2350 built on the E450 chassis and on the way home from the factory I got gas at a truck stop. I saw a CAT Scale and drove around to get it weighted. In the PC was myself, my wife, a 130 lbs German Shepherd, a 90 Lbs Labrador, a full tank of gas, full LPG, 3/4 water tank and clothes and supplies for a weeks outing. I had transfered my chairs, grill and other stuff from the old motorhome at the factory. The gross weight was 11760 lbs on a 14500 lb chassis, so I have 2740 lbs of CCC left over. I could say that I can carry all the beer and wine we might drink in a week with out any problems.  rolling on the floor

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 92
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 02:40:12 pm »

We had our 2350 Sprinter weighed last year when we left for our 3 month trip. Our Sprinter did not have a slide. Total weight unloaded was 9200 lbs. The front axle was 3400 lbs and the rear was 5800 lbs.

Loaded total weight was 10,360 lbs. Front axle was 3660 and the rear was 6700 lbs.

We are now in Maine, having travelled from Florida in our 2551. We still love the ride of the Sprinter as compared to the Ford E450. We have had 2 Sprinters; the 5 cylinder  and 6 cylinder. This is our first Ford.

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
funtogo

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 03:33:51 pm »

This seems to suggest that the 2350 sprinter with slide would indeed be at capacity.I tend also to carry more weight than needed when I travel in the 5th. wheel.My excess baggage habits would have to downsize also.Don't know whether we would like the extra capacity w/o the slide,or the extra room with the slide more.
Johnny
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 03:41:53 pm »

Unfortunately, it is not a no-brainer decision.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: