Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Water tank issues  (Read 1438 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 169
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 12:27:25 pm »

If you run the electric water heater without water in the tank, you will burn out the heating element faster than you can read this post.
Actually the hot water heater still holds about 1/2 gallon of water after it is completely drained.

My water heater stopped working off 110v a couple years back.  I first made sure the tank was drained.  When I unscrewed the 110V heating element, the water kept coming and coming.  Many towels were not enough.  I called the water tank manufacture to order a new element.  The fellow confirmed the tank permanently holds 1/2 gallon of water after it is completely drained, intentionally so to protect the heating element from accidental burn-out.  I asked about concern of freezing and he said that was considered in the design of the tank.

If you need to replace your 110v heating element, stuff as many towels as you can under it, and all around on the floor, because once the element comes out, the wave of water comes and comes and comes.  I thought I had plenty of absorbsion but underestimated.  I ended up blowing a fan in that cabinet for a week to assure all was completely dry.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 166
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 02:50:24 pm »

Hi Ron,

I understand what the fellow told you about the water in the tank saving the element, but you having to replace your element after only a couple of years says something also. I only know that the shop at the dealer where I worked got in several heaters per year from those that ran the electric with the tank empty. They told me never to do that and I have never had to replace a heating element. I guess we got two different story to sort through. Maybe someone else can clear this up for us.  pulling hair out

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 169
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 03:55:06 pm »

I did not mean to imply that it is fine to leave the "electric" hot water heater switch on all the time while plugged in.  Only that if you forget to turn it off during setup, you do have an undefined "grace" period.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 294
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 07:38:54 pm »

My understanding is that you only have a few seconds before you burn out the heating element with an empty tank.  This information came from a dealer when we bought our first travel trailer.

I always turn the water heater off at the circuit breaker before I drain the tank for the winter.  Also, I always confirm the breaker label and mark it in red when I get a new RV.

Don't need a senior moment when I'm de-winterizing on the road.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: