Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Go West Young Man (or old man, whichever!!)  (Read 748 times)
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2012, 05:50:26 pm »

Hi all,
We are in the planning stages of our trip from Florida to the Grand Canyon and then down through Tucson to I10 and back home--Sort of the "Great Loop" (minus the boat).

Here is the route, so far.
I10 to I49 through Shreveport then I20 through Dallas to I287 to Amarillo. Onto I40 through New Mexico to Williams and up to the South Rim. Thought 5 days would be sufficient at the Canyon. We then head to Scottsdale to visit the daughter and then to Karcher Caverns in AZ for a couple of days and then on through TX back to FL.

This is planned for Sept-Oct.

Can anyone give us info on where to stay, what not to miss etc?

Judi and George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
begentle

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Jan 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Sterling & Cherry
ExtColor: Sterling Full
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:05:32 pm »

I'm sure you'll get lots of good suggestions, but I'll put in a plug for a swing up to Silver City, NM, after you cross into New Mexico from Arizona on I-10.  An interesting little western town -- in the foothills of the Gila Wilderness area.  By October we are there (it's our 6 month winter digs) -- and would love to meet you and show you some western hospitality and some of the sights! Might even have room for another PC in the driveway!

Deena Wink

The Gentles
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:36:06 am »

We go to the canyon at least once a year, and always stay in the Mather campground.  You can make reservations at recreation.gov, but we prefer to look the area over first to get a level site and check the occupants in adjoining sites.  Mather is a large campground, and we've never had a problem getting a site.  Mather has no hookups, but there is a dump station and good laundry facility.  Camping there is $18 ($9 if you're 62 or older and have the National Parks America the Beautiful Senior Pass--also gets you into all National Parks free for life).  Trailer Village campground is next to Mather and has full hookups, but is too expensive and the sites are too close together for me.  The free shuttle busses stop at both campgrounds, and are the best way to get around in the park.  More information on nps.gov.  We also enjoy going to Kartchner Caverns, and the campground there has full hookups.  I recommend you make reservations for the cave tours prior to arrival at azstateparks.com/parks/kaca/.  There are two tours, and we try to take both when possible.  The park fee is waived if you have tour ticket reservations or are camping there.  After Kartchner, you can go up to I10 or across/down to Tombstone, the old mining town of Bisbee then up to I10.  The weather should be great in late September and October--your daughter has probably told you about our "monsoon" season  that's usually over by September. 
begentle

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Jan 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Sterling & Cherry
ExtColor: Sterling Full
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:00:48 am »

Another suggestion for a stop:  Chiricahua National Monument -- south of I-10 in south east Arizona.  For us it's one of those magical places like no other.  A sense of being in a H U G E natural cathedral. Lots of hiking available.  Campground reasonable (no services) -- and half price with Golden Eagle elder pass (or whatever it's called).  Be aware, any rig over 27 ft. might not clear a dip going into the campground.  Otherwise, can park in picnic pull offs as you enter the park, unhook the toad, and drive into the park.  Plan several hours.

http://www.nps.gov/chir/index.htm

Deena

The Gentles
pyrthkr
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:48:29 pm »

Sounds like a great trip!  In Shreveport, we've stayed @ Tall Pines RV Park 2X & it's 1 of the best privately owned places I've ever enjoyed.  In our 3 Xcountry trips so far, we've managed to avoid Dallas traffic like the plague - although I did end up on the southern bypass circle once.  If you head further south in TX, there's always Fredericksburg which is a wonderful little town & very visitor friendly.  Staying south, you can hit Junction, TX & stock up on the Llano River Valley wines (no kidding!).  There's also a Dripping Springs vodka which (IMHO) ranks right up there w/the best!  Balmoreah State Park (just past Ft Stockton) was a wonderful place to stay - they have a restored wetlands exhibit where we were amazed by the amt & variety of wildlife frolicking around.  Rockhound SP in New Mexico (near Deming) is a keeper as are Las Cruces (especially near Mesilla) & the aforementioned Silver City.  The last time I checked, Kartchner Caverns holds back some cavern tour reservations especially for the folks in the RV park.  You have to go over to the office right @ 8:00a in order to get them.  There's also another RV park in Benson that has a full blown observatory on its property & guests get to visit it for free.  Not sure where in Scottsdale your family is (we're in Phoenix,, near the Scottsdale/Paradise Valley border) but you should have plenty of choices for hook ups in the area - even as far out as McDowell Mt Park near Fountain Hills (E.I. Rowland capground).  Would love to have our units see ea other when you're in town (that is, if we're in town as well)
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:14:15 am »

Thanks for all the replies.

We plan on making reservations at Mather Campground in the next few days. At this point, we plan to be at the campground from Sept. 10 through the 14th. Then we head South. Will be in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area on Sept. 15, 16 and 17 leaving on the 18th. Of course, it is early and our plans can change. I hate to make reservations at the Canyon so early but all the guide books that I have read seem to indicate that you need a reservation. So, if for some reason plans change then the $10 cancellation fee is not a big deal.

We definately plan of Kartcher Caverns on the way back.

Should be a fun trip. Will post again closer to the dates. It would be fun to meet some of the western Forum members.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: