Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Elkhart - Things To Do  (Read 1660 times)
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2011, 01:49:18 pm »

We recently went to the Phoenix factory for some minor fixes while still under warranty. Theyre great as usual patient and done quickly. We stayed for a week under $200 at the Elkhart campground. As usual, several Class A lookers - we talked up Phoenix Cruiser.  Of course theres always the national RV/MH Hall of Fame to see, but we looked for some other things. Two we would highly recommend:

Amish Country Tour. A self-guided driving tour to everything Amish with a free map and CDs from the Elkhart Visitors Bureau, one mile from the campground:
http://www.amishcountry.org/things-to-do/heritage-trail
We split it into two days to make it more leisurely. Saw many Amish homes/farms and buggies. Lots of great places to eat and shop. We made a separate day at the Shipshewana Flea Market largest in the Midwest:
http://www.tradingplaceamerica.com/fleamarket.php

Studebaker Museum (South Bend). A glorious place if youre into 50s and earlier cars. Plus a great carriage museum including the carriage that carried President Lincoln the night of his death and carriages made by Studebaker for several presidents. And of course, lots of outstanding classic Studebakers. Under $12 for two with over 65 and AAA discounts:
http://www.studebakermuseum.org/

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
pyrthkr
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 11:29:47 am »

Good recommendations but not sure it will be "The Season" in December or early January when ours is scheduled to be ready.  Kind of concerned that I'm finding many CGs already closed for the winter & will definitely be paying attention to the weather.

Looking for winter CG recommendations in the Elkhart area awa along hwy 55 to the south (or other route options back to Phoenix)..
 cool
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:41:49 am »

Come visit Florida. Barry and Sue are coming down. We could have a 2551/2552 Reunion.

Florida isn't out of the way???? Not much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
pyrthkr
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:51:25 pm »

Depending on the weather we hit - we might end up your way.
 cool
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 04:18:51 pm »

You could ask about staying at the factory.  Would need to ask about safety - guess they could lock you inside the fenced area??  I'd think they'd furnish electric.  I did see them helping someone dump at the back of the lot, so there is a sewer.  shrug  As for things to do, you could probably do all but the Shipshewana Flea Market, weather permitting.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
pyrthkr
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 03:06:06 pm »

Thanks again for the factory "CG" recommendation.  I've emailed Stuart & Amanda w/that question & a few others related to the trade process.
 cool
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 03:35:32 pm »

Eby's Pines Campground is about 15 minutes east of the factory and they are open all year. In the winter they do turn off the water. The water in Elkhart is very very bad as it contains lots of iron.

http://www.ebyspines.com/

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
pyrthkr
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:12:13 pm »

Thanks Tom. 

Checked their website & it looks like a nice place.  Still in the early planning stages &, as you probably do as well, we figure out the next day from wherever we stop.  This one looks like a keeper though - especially if the factory option isn't available.

Appreciate your response,

cool
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 06:45:31 am »

Mike, I would strongly recommend that you spend the first night after picking up your new baby at Eby's. I spent four years working at an RV dealer selling RV and helping to check them in when they arrived at the dealer from the manufacture. When I picked up my current PC, I spent two hours going over it checking every little thing. We did not put water in it because the water in Elkhart is so bad and full of iron. When we were ready to leave the weather had turned bad, heavy rain and even thunder storms, so we decided to head south out of the rain. We ended up driving through the worst storms Indiana had seen in years down to Indianapolis, some 170 miles. By the time we got to a campground it was dark and raining pretty hard. I parked in the site and reached down to put the jacks down. Oh boy, you should have hear me talking to my self, like a drunken sailor. NO JACKS. How could I have missed that? I called Stuart and left a message for him. In the morning I called Carol at the factory and she arranged to have jacks installed as soon as I could get back there, a three hour drive. It turns of that at least five people missed the jacks on the check off list and I missed it on delivery. Everyone was very sorry for the mistake and even paid for my gas and troubles. When we picked up our first PC, we did stay locally and only found one small thing wrong. A quick swing by the factory the next day had it fixed in five minutes.  I should have spend the first night near the factory like I have recommended in the past. I laugh at this now but it wasn't so funny then.

I would recommend that you try to pickup the new PC on Monday through Thursday and leave Friday for a return to get anything fixed. Most likely you will not need to return to the factory but it is better safe than sorry. I bet that Stuart will not like me staying this here but it is how I feel.

PS. if these post are helpful, please press the "mark helpful" button on the left under my name. I am trying to keep up with Ron D. on being helpful. Thank you
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:47:46 am by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 10:30:28 am »

We live 160 miles, 3 hours from the factory.  We had our walk-through where Stuart shortened the tail pipe extension for me, and then we headed home.  We never had any type of warranty claim.  After the warranty had ended, I wanted to purchase a new battery tray after I finished my battery shield, but they shipped one for free.  The same with some door latches and door knobs.  That was real nice of PC-USA.

Stuart hit his head real bad trying to get that tail pipe extension off.  I think he saw stars.  That was 4.5 years ago.  To this day I feel real bad about that.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 12:06:51 pm »

Does that explain why he is the way is today?  rolling on the floor rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Tom Hanlon
pyrthkr
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 01:44:56 pm »

Thanks folks.  DW (still VERY nervous about traveling in the lakes area this time of yr) & I will definitely be staying nearby (Eby's looks good!) to check out the new baby.  Ha, ha Tom.  No Jacks!  Guess we can all get carried away w/what we see instead of what we don't see.  I'll let you know if we miss the dinette or our jacks.  I assume the unit will have a bit of gas & propane in it so we can fire up the furnace/oven/water heater.  Did you do ANY water tests (you mentioned Elkhart's non-tasty water) or did you wait until you returned home?  (pump, water line leakage, etc.).

Can't wait!

cool
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 01:54:59 pm »

We waited until we got down near Wheeling, WV at a campground before putting water into the fresh tank. Ran a few test to test the pump and then hooked up to city water. By morning the fresh water tank was empty. The factory had left the drain valve open on the tank. So I knew that worked also. LOL

The RV hall of fame is just about two miles from the factory if you want to visit it.

Tom Hanlon
pyrthkr
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 01:55:57 pm »

LOL
pyrthkr
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 01:57:43 pm »

BTW:  my "helpful" votes can be bought!

Hey, youz guyz live near Cheekago don't ya?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: