Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tow Vehicle and Insurance  (Read 571 times)
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 92
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2011, 08:34:43 am »

We thought that we could get away without towing but that is not happening. We bought a used Tracker to tow. Now we have to get the thing set up for towing and registered etc.

Since we have never had a tow before, I wonder if anyone can give us any hints at what to expect when I call insurance companies for quotes.

We have our MH insured with Geico and the house and car with Hartford. I don't know if Hartford will write the policy for a vehicle that we are going to tow so I'll call them as well as Geico.

Any suggestions will be helpful so that I don't sound like a complete airhead.

Thanks
Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:51:16 am »

Judi,

We have our cars and MH insured with Hartford.  Our toad is a 2004 Chevy Cavalier.  It is insured like our other vehicle.  It is a 04 with only 29,000 so it is insured with the low mileage rating.  We only put on about 3 or 4K actual mileage per year (even though the tires have much more mileage on them than the odometer).  I don't think the insurance company cares if it is towed or not.  Our Cavaliers motto is "I GO WHERE I'M TOAD!" LOL

Barry abd Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 12:30:24 pm »

We have Allstate for everything.  Our Grand Prix, Corvette, Ranger, and Liberty are combined in one auto policy.  Our Phoenix Cruiser has it's own Recreational Vehicle policy.

We do not feel a need to mention to Allstate that we tow our Liberty with our Phoenix Cruiser.  I never considered it a requirement to do so since we abide by all laws and regulations with approved equipment.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:20:38 pm »

Oh Boy Judi:

I guess I have to divulge the truth here. I am an independent insurance agent  and own two insurance agencies.  We deal primarily with personal insurance.  You have opened the can of worms that we as agents love.  The vehicle towing provides the liability insurance.  Of course the vehicle being pulled has  its own liability policy so the lawyer will try to pull that policy into play too.  None of our carriers are concerned about a vehicle being towed.   You should ask a few questions.  Should my mh be insured on an auto policy?  I doubt the answer will be yes. Auto policies do not provide coverage for awnings, satellites, contents and do not provide vacation liability.  Do you have high enough limits of liability on the mh policy.  When you have an accident, odds are the you will cause lots of damage both property and bodily.  Do you really want to jeopardize your retirement income due to low limits because Mr. Lawyer wants to get paid?  Say, you damage my 85,000 dollar mh and you have 50,000 dollar property limits.  Guess you gets to write me a check for the difference? When you have an accident with a motorhome you will cause lots of damage and a high probability of bodily injury to other parties.  Again, high enough limits?

You all should consider purchasing an umbrella policy which provides an additional million dollar layer of protection.  Just a scenario here:  You own a home, two or three cars, a motorhome which leads me to believe you other assets too.  Perception of wealth provokes lawsuits when an accident occurs.  I.e.  I just hit the lottery!!!

Some companies will not insure Trackers because of high rollover rates.  Ask..

Soap box time.. You spend $80,000.00 or more on a motorhome, don't cheap out on the insurance or advice that goes with it.

Unless your afraid of your agent you should always call your agent and ask the stupid questions. We do not charge for that!! I really suggest at this stage of your life you find an agent you can talk too.  1 800 insurance companies are ok for 20 year olds and people with nothing to lose.  The advice they offer leads a lot to be desired.
 @ Ron just because you abide all laws and regulations does not mean your policy will provide coverage.....

Just my two cents.

Have a great day y'all.

David

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 10:50:17 pm »

David,
I do have an umbrella policy exactly as you have advised.  It covers exactly that much beyond what the house, auto, & RV policies provide ThumbsUp to protect my family & posessions.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:52:25 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 92
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint